iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top Inducted to Hall of Fame  (Read 22433 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Top Inducted to Hall of Fame
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »

I see where the ball, big wheel and game boy made the National Toy Hall of Fame up in Don Olney's town of Rochester, New York.  This means it is another year that the top does not get any recognition as a significant toy in the lives of children in this country.  You can tell this is the United States and not Mexico or Japan or some other true top loving country.  How can the world's oldest toy be ignored?  I nominated the top on their website but it is not the first time I have been ignored (of course, not a single finger is pointed at anyone in my family-ha!).

You can check out their website and toys that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame at: http://www.museumofplay.org/NTHoF/

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member

Sorry to tell you Mike that the doll is actually the world's oldest toy...yo-yo and top come in second I believe.  You would have thought that the ball would have been one of the first toys on  that list.  I gotta say tho that the Big Wheel and Gameboy pretty much rock!  But please... the TOP should have made that list long ago!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

OK.  I guess I overstated things.  SpinQueen keeps me on the straight and narrow.  I should have said "tops are one of the world's oldest toys".  I looked up world's oldest toys and dolls came up several times.  It's just hard for me to imagine anything older than a ball/rock to throw!  Yes, ball should have been on that list long ago........with the top.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com

Mike,
My vote goes to the top. :P
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector

And the Strong Museum of Play is in the home town of one of the world's largest collections of spinning tops!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Honestly, I always thought it was very odd.  I talk with people all over the world who know about the Toycrafter and tops made in Rochester.  But when I talk with people from Rochester they never seem to know anything about tops or the Toycrafter.  I wonder if the Strong Museum of Play knew much about your work with toys?  I know they had to know something about you because I told them about you......but I wonder if they ever knew very much about you.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

I just watched John Stewart do a hilarious bit about the Toy Hall of Fame.  He made comments about why it took eleven years for the ball to make the Hall of Fame.  Then he talked about how in the world the stick made it into the Hall of Fame before the ball!  I was waiting for him to make some comments about tops not being in the Hall but he didn't come through for me.  I wish I could find this episode on google videos so everyone could watch. 

SpinQueen

• Superhero member

Was it a new episode?  Lynne watches the one's that she's missed all the time online.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member

You can tell this is the United States and not Mexico or Japan or some other true top loving country.  How can the world's oldest toy be ignored?  I nominated the top on their website but it is not the first time I have been ignored (of course, not a single finger is pointed at anyone in my family-ha!).

You can check out their website and toys that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame at: http://www.museumofplay.org/NTHoF/

In fact, Mike, that happens not only in the USA nation, but even in the most of the world.
Here, the government doesn`t give any support to this sport, and only the companies like Cometa pay money to the players in order the kids acquire the toy when the kids watch the amazing tricks the players do. Although is a very popular game here, don`t you believe that a great percentage of mexicans play trompo well. We are counted the ones who play trompo at this level. In a country of almost 120 millions of people, I thinkk that we are not even 1000 prof players here.

In Colombia, by an example, the thing is different. There , there are more people that plays trompo than in any part of the world, and every year, in different cities, there are championships of trompo and another games.
Are called "Juegos de la Calle", and as far as I know, the government gives financial resources helping these tournaments
I completely ignored how developped is the game of top in the rest of the world, but, for the most of videos in internet, the countries where the top `s got more diffusion, I mean, where there`s more people interesed on him (top) are: Colombia, Mèxico, Usa and Japan.
Some people in another countries (but only little groups of persons) got interes on it, and, in most of these cases, the top is seen like a "minor" or not very shinning toy, and is seen less amazing than the yoyoyo with ballbearings.
Resuming, I believe that in the most of the world, the top is still in chilhood.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:50:38 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

If you count all types of throw tops played by kids, there are a lot of countries ahead of the US. In most it is just a toy played by boys around 10 years old. But some maintain serious competitions or performances around tops, like Malaysia, Taiwan, Ecuador and many others.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com

:D  We are seeing more and more kids getting interested in the top in the USA, thanks to guys and girls like the ones on this site. :D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

SpinQueen...........it must have been a fairly recent episode of John Stewart.  Sorry, I don't know any more than that.

Watts Tops......yes, we are fortunate to have some great young guys and gals on this site.  They will make a big impact on top spinning in the coming years!

I still think the Toy Hall of Fame needs to think more seriously about the top.  Maybe we could have a write in campaign?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:36:22 PM by Mike Hout »

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member

I just watched John Stewart do a hilarious bit about the Toy Hall of Fame.  He made comments about why it took eleven years for the ball to make the Hall of Fame.  Then he talked about how in the world the stick made it into the Hall of Fame before the ball!  I was waiting for him to make some comments about tops not being in the Hall but he didn't come through for me.  I wish I could find this episode on google videos so everyone could watch.

I don't normally watch Stewart, but one of the news programs on another network showed the clip and it was pretty funny...for John Stewart anyway.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
more Toy Hall of Fame in the paper
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 04:28:57 PM »

On the bottom of the first page of USA Today (11/25) in the column by Craig Wilson called "The Final Word".  He talks about a book out this month called "Classic Toys of the National Toy Hall of Fame" from the Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY.  He mentions the ball and the stick and the cardboard box (a personal favorite of some children).  And, guess what, the top gets stiffed again!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Washington Post today ...
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »

Book World reviews 'Classic Toys of the National Toy Hall of Fame'
By Michael Dirda
Thursday, December 24, 2009

Front page of the style section, good review of an interesting looking book.  But there is no mention of tops.  "Duncan yo-yo" is there but nothing about tops.  I hope this is a problem of the reviewer and not the book.
Practice hard and play safe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up