iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top Inducted to Hall of Fame  (Read 22419 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: National Toy Hall of Fame candidates....
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »

Once again, the majestic spin top did not make the Toy HOF.  In today's USA Today it states wiffle ball, clue and paper airplanes made it. :(
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 01:15:43 AM »

Once again, the majestic spin top did not make the Toy HOF.  In today's USA Today it states wiffle ball, clue and paper airplanes made it. :(

Not again! Professor Plum and the powerful whiffle ball and paper aircraft lobbies clearly got to the judges.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »

Wiffle ball isn't already on there?

Clue? Again, classic game, surprised it took that long to make the list.

Paper airplanes? Seriously? Are we talking the "fold it yourself from your own paper" or some of those foam models or kits? Either way, doesn't seem right.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »

Wiffle ball isn't already on there?
Clue? Again, classic game, surprised it took that long to make the list.
Paper airplanes? Seriously? Are we talking the "fold it yourself from your own paper" or some of those foam models or kits? Either way, doesn't seem right.
I disagree. Paper planes (made from your own paper) as well as peg tops should have been there before Clue and many other modern games.
I didn't know about wiffle balls until I came to the US. It's a safe version of a baseball but mostly unknown in other countries. Paper planes (and tops) are pretty much universal.
Of course, they could restrict the list to commercial branded products. But then they shouldn't try to give it more credence by adding to the list really classical non-branded toys. But I perfectly understand why they do.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »

The ten finalists for 2019 have been announced, according to tonight's TV news, and the spin top is once again nominated.  Three winners will be chosen from these ten, presumably sometime soon....

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »

The ten finalists for 2019 have been announced, according to tonight's TV news, and the spin top is once again nominated.  Three winners will be chosen from these ten, presumably sometime soon....

Indeed, here’s a pic from the news story that popped up in my twitter feed

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 10:50:14 PM »

Here is some more information posted on their website:

For the second time, fans may vote for their favorite finalists from Sept. 11 to 18 as part of a 'Player's Choice' ballot at toyhalloffame.org. The three toys that receive the most public votes will be submitted and will join the other top-three submissions by members of the National Selection Advisory Committee.

The winners will be inducted on Thursday, Nov. 7.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 12:40:49 AM »

I think many of us have a desire to want to spin things and have them keep spinning.

I agree. Spintoys seem to strike a very deep chord in the human psyche.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 12:45:29 AM »

For the second time, fans may vote for their favorite finalists from Sept. 11 to 18 as part of a 'Player's Choice' ballot at toyhalloffame.org. The three toys that receive the most public votes will be submitted and will join the other top-three submissions by members of the National Selection Advisory Committee.

Guess it's up to us to restore the top to its rightful place in the Pantheon of toys. Where do we vote?

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2019, 08:14:52 AM »

Guess it's up to us to restore the top to its rightful place in the Pantheon of toys. Where do we vote?

Here’s the link for voting:
https://www.toyhalloffame.org/players-choice-ballot

You can vote once a day between September 11–18.

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »

Already voted!

The three toys that receive the most public votes will be submitted on one ballot and will join the other top-three submissions from members of the 23-person National Selection Advisory Committee. The public will collectively act as one member of the committee. 

The final inductees will be revealed at a special ceremony at The Strong on Thursday, November 7.

Thank you for voting!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »

I just noticed that you can vote once a day, on each device you have.  So, even though you voted on your desktop, you can vote from your smartphone. 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »

Wow!!!  Voting was easy.  Thanks mailman and Jack for finding this in such a timely manner so we can get behind our hobby.  Let's take this from one hall to another........from Miamisburg to Rochester!!!  Wait, a lot of the Burg hall was already in Chester.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2019, 11:49:06 AM »

I voted from India! But, if I understood correctly, the public has only one vote and there are 22 more votes from "experts."
If you read the requirements, tops should be a slam dunk, but I'm afraid it will lose again against branded toys.  >:(

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »

Don't forget to vote again, today, from every internet connected devise you own!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up