iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top Inducted to Hall of Fame  (Read 22420 times)

PonzerZer

Top is said to be one of the oldest toys in the world. There is even a National Championship in Florida and California. I wonder why they missed to include it on the Hall of Fame. Anyway, I'm trying to open the link but I have a poor connection of net today.  I want to see this Toy hall of Fame. I am a long time toy collector and I really want to add some toys that are in that Hall of Fame on my collection.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:03:59 PM by PonzerZer »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Welcome to the board, PonzerZer!

Are you a spintop collector or a toy collector in general?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Top Inducted to Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 07:31:21 PM »

My hometown, Rochester, NY, is home to the national Toy Hall of Fame.  Each year, dozens of toys vie for the honor of being elected to a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Today, the 12 finalists for induction in 2015 were announced.

Among the candidates?  The spin top!!

See the linked item for details....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/american-girl-dolls-wiffle-ball-jenga-among-12-toy-hall-n435031

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: National Toy Hall of Fame candidates....
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »

Finally!!!

Don Olney and I have been after them to consider it.  When I was last at RIT we stopped by the museum and talked to folks about it.    On several occasions we have nominated the majestic top that is not so majestic to the Strong Museum.

At least it is getting a little recognition.  I doubt if it makes the cut, though.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:15 AM »

I am sure the people that select the toys are mostly thinking "on the press" they will get by selecting this or that toy. But they must be aware that leaving out a toy that has remained popular since ancient Egypt and it is played all over the world is untenable. I feel this is the year.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »

I am sure the people that select the toys are mostly thinking "on the press" they will get by selecting this or that toy. But they must be aware that leaving out a toy that has remained popular since ancient Egypt and it is played all over the world is untenable. I feel this is the year.

I'm not sure how they do the choosing.  I know they poll the public, locally, on the TV news shows, but I don't know if the polls factor into the decision making.

I think they should at least consider a few other factors, beyond current popularity.  They should consider longevity, for one.  And I think they should consider the estimated number of units produced/sold over that time.  That would be an indication of the number of kids impacted by a prospective candidate toy.

This year, another candidate is the American Girl doll.  They have been on the market for less than a decade, I believe, and are quite expensive, limiting the number of kids who have them.  The fact that they are dolls, and generally considered a girl's toy, limits the potential for exposure even further.

I hope you're right about this being the year....

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »

The winners (3) have been announced, and sadly, the spin top did not get inducted.

Maybe another year....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »

Thanks for the update.  At least our whirling wonder is on their radar.  It seems that now it is just a matter of time.  It might take a few years, but the truth about the greatness of the top will be revealed.  And when it happens, we can all celebrate!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »

So, the inductees this year were puppets (generic), Supersoaker and Twister.

The criteria they supposedly use are:

1- Icon-status: the toy is widely recognized, respected, and remembered.
2- Longevity: the toy is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over multiple generations.
3- Discovery: the toy fosters learning, creativity, or discovery through play.
4- Innovation: The toy profoundly changed play or toy design. A toy may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.

1- All over the world tops are recognized. A word (sometimes several) exist in every language. It has been used in postal stamps, ads, businesses names, children museum names, even food guidelines. They are currently being used to sell cars (Ford Focus commercial).
2- At least 7 thousand years old (King Tut's tomb had a whip top) but probably known since the dawn of mankind in the form of finger spinners (e.g. nuts). It has been a rite of passage for 10 year-old boys in many cultures, including the US: peg tops battles in the early 20th century and Beyblades a few years ago.
3 - The counter intuitive fight of the top against gravity provides wonder and a great incentive for the young mind to understand things. The concept of rotation provided by the top complements the notion of translation of a ball and it is one of the foundations of technology. The gyroscope is its direct descendant. The earth is a spinning top and it explains the seasons, etc., etc.
4- The US patent system is full of patents for spinning tops with different starting mechanisms or different effects. The variety worldwide is enormous.

A list that does not have spinning tops up there with dolls and balls, has no credibility in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:22:57 AM by ta0 »

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »

I was just reading your list, Ta0 and your justiifcations for each point and I agree. Your analysis is far more thorough than mine.

I just wanted to comment on #2. Spinning nuts? Sure, why not. I was at my kid's soccer game and I was spinning acorns I found. As a kid, I had a toy with gears and other stuff for those pull-back or rev-up type toys and there was a geared flywheel that I would spin as a fingertop, I think many of us have a desire to want to spin things and have them keep spinning. The top has had so many shapes, forms, materials, designs and variations all on the same general theme.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »

USA Today has a nice article about the Toy Hall of Fame.  It seems that they have inducted some new members.  Fischer-Price's Little People made it as did the Magic 8 Ball, Dungeons and Dragons and the swing.  I am quite partial to the swing as I enjoy it still today but I am not very supportive of the other selections and their failure (once again) to leave out the spinning top.  Arghh!!!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »

Tops definitely need to go into the Toy hall of Fame.  In defense of the American Girl Doll--My wife has 3 in her collection and she is 74 years old.  Still voting for the top, however.
An added note---The first American Girl doll came out in 1986, 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:38:54 AM by Watts' Tops »
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 09:34:52 AM »

I was both surprised and disappointed to hear that one of this year's nominees was....

bubble wrap!!  Sure, kids will "play" with it, but it is neither a toy or a game, IMHO.  Bubble wrap?  What are they thinking?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:33:36 AM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »

Well, they had a lot of nerve inducting bubble wrap before tops, but I have no problem calling bubble wrap a toy. Anything that turns out to be fun to play with qualifies as a toy in my book, regardless of original intent. If acorns and nuts didn't qualify as toys, where would we be today?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »

I don't think bubble wrap got inducted.  It was nominated this year, but I don't think it made it.  Tops still have a chance to get inducted first!   ;)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up