iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Iceland 2017  (Read 20942 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Report from Iceland 2017
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »

The award ceremony went well.  jmadrigal with the bronze.  Daniel from the Czech Republic with the silver and his brother Jakub took the gold.  Tom got an award for winning the ladder and everyone got a nice medal that spins!!!  On the way off stage everyone got a yoyo factory yoyo.  It was a nice award ceremony for the top spinners.

Jose: Congrats! You're definitely running with the big dogs now! I still can't get over how easy you make it look.

Daniel and Jakub: Kudos to both of you as well! You two seem to be able to pack in more tricks per unit time than anyone else by a good margin. Put another way, you seem to get away with a lot less regeneration time -- or perhaps just a lot less mental preparation time -- between the events I recognize as tricks. How you do it?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »

Congratulations to Jakub! The world title is deservedly in the Czech Republic (I don't know what's in the water there  ;D ) Daniel did great and could have also won, the difference was just a couple of missed tricks. Jose did incredibly well, specially considering that this was his first time competing. Jon showcased a style of play he has developed where he regens catching the top on both sides of the string. He calls it "two stroke". Unfortunately, I could not interact with the Japanese guy: he appeared and dissapeared very fast. Mike was very unlucky, with 2 spare monobolos but no string. The guy that performed at the very end, Chris Garcia, did not qualify because he was using sticks with the monobolo. But he matched very well with the spintop group and we will probably see him again. By the way, he learned to throw tops from Jim Neff, at a juggling meeting.

During the awards for the over 40 contest, Dale also received an award from ITSA is that actually spins!

Dale seemed touched and swept a tear.
By the way, every player got a medal that also spins  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:06:49 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »

After the awards we had battles on a platform (a box that sometimes had a plate). I was surprised at the aim of every body.  It was a lot of fun!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:02:13 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »

Daniel had brought an extremely long string but he had not practiced, so Tyler's official record of 21 wraps stands. But to determine the winner of the Jim Bohem's corkscrew trophy we did something different: fastest to do three 5-wrap corkscrews. Jakub beat Daniel by 2 seconds, Jose was third, and I beat Tom by 2 seconds. I hope next time you are here, Jim, to hand the trophy in person.

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 11:54:20 PM »

Fantastic freestyles! I really enjoyed watching these.  :)
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 01:33:05 AM »

So, in 2019 it really is going to be Cleveland again?  It is so weird for me to grasp that it is in such far away places as Iceland and China and then back in my home state of Ohio.  I must admit, though, Cleveland was pretty good for us spinners and there was a bunch of good space for us to use.  It seemed like people responded to that location and the total attendance numbers were terrific.  I just found online where the dates are set for August 7-10.  Like many others here, I will be a couple years older so I guess I will be looking for songs about being 66!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:37:20 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Attila

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 01:52:46 AM »

Sounds like it would have been a lot of fun to go. Hopefully next time :D someone at eyyc suggested me to go to the Czech nationals, anyone here thinking about the same?

Congrats to everyone who participated! I'm green with envy for all of you. As always it was so motivational to watch Daniel and Jakub, it always makes me want to do better, try harder.

I hope I can one day get my hands on one of those monabolos. And anyone who can play a koma is awesome in my opinion.

All my respect is with Mike it's such a shame about that string, that is my worst nightmare to have my string tangled on stage but he kept it cool!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »

Congratulations to Jakub, Daniel and Jose on their outstanding routines and a big thanks to all who traveled so far to represent top spinners. A small but mighty bunch!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »

Iceland was just not possible with all the other family travel this year. After watching the videos I am especially sad that I could not go.  Considering the level of play, I could have handily been able to defend my ranking from 2016.

(9th place of nine)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:30 AM »

Yesterday Rob, Cuper, Chris Garcia and me drove around Iceland doing some of the touristy things. The country is very interesting and unusual. But, of course, we were very well equiped with tops that we played along the way, where no man had spun before! >:D

Chris got inducted to the Figaro Gallery with the best photo with Figaro ever!  8)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:15:15 AM by ta0 »

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »

Let me know if this doesn't work.  These are my pics from the competition.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10209745824271406.1073741855.1504930645&type=1&l=ad73db84da

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »

Before I forget.

It was pretty neat to meet everyone I hadn't met before and great to hang out with you all too!

Especially big thanks to Mike and his wife Dawn for helping me celebrate my birthday here and to Jorge for allowing me to tag along on the ride through the countryside which was amazing!

You guys all rock, hope to see you again soon!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »

Yesterday Rob, Cuper, Chris Garcia and me drove around Iceland doing some of the touristy things. The country is very interesting and unusual. But, of course, we were very well equiped with tops that we played along the way, where no man had spun before! >:D

Sorry to break it to you but Tom and I already were throwing tops out in the Icelandic country. ;)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »

Let me know if this doesn't work.  These are my pics from the competition.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10209745824271406.1073741855.1504930645&type=1&l=ad73db84da
Great pics Rob,
It was great meeting you.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »

Congrats Daniel!
You all did fantastic. 
Jose, what a great run!
Thanks Chris!

Congratulations to Jakub, Daniel and Jose on their outstanding routines and a big thanks to all who traveled so far to represent top spinners. A small but mighty bunch!
Thanks Rick!

The award ceremony went well.  jmadrigal with the bronze.  Daniel from the Czech Republic with the silver and his brother Jakub took the gold.  Tom got an award for winning the ladder and everyone got a nice medal that spins!!!  On the way off stage everyone got a yoyo factory yoyo.  It was a nice award ceremony for the top spinners.

Jose: Congrats! You're definitely running with the big dogs now! I still can't get over how easy you make it look.

Daniel and Jakub: Kudos to both of you as well! You two seem to be able to pack in more tricks per unit time than anyone else by a good margin. Put another way, you seem to get away with a lot less regeneration time -- or perhaps just a lot less mental preparation time -- between the events I recognize as tricks. How you do it?

Thanks Jeremy!

Just got home and I am supper tired. It was a great trip and the top spinners are all great people. I hope to put up more video in the weeks to come.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:45:33 AM by jmadrigal »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up