iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zeroing in on the boomerang  (Read 7800 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Zeroing in on the boomerang
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »

I'm a new top spinner, trying to figure out the "boomerang".  It certainly looks easy enough, and I can already spin the top on the floor well enough....right?

When I first tried the boomerang, I couldn't get it to come back to me; it would either a) get to the end of the string and drop, or b) somehow "catch" on the string and come back over my head on its way to the next zip code, threatening to take out my front teeth as it went.

I finally, after much trial and error, figured out that it works better for me if I aim not at the floor, as usual, but basically straight out away from me.  That was an "Aha!" moment.  I also figured out I was better off practicing this out on the lawn, saving wear and tear on my new BK.

I still have the top get "caught" on the string sometimes, and come rocketing back at me.  I haven't figured that one out, yet.

I've also learned the importance of having the top vertical at release.  Although I can now draw the top back to me, I had been having trouble with it landing in my hand on (or nearly on) its side.  A vertical release seems to prevent this.

I've had a few really decent throws and catches, with a lot of less than perfect ones in between.  I still don't have the knack of balancing the spinning top in my hand, but that'll come next.

Now, if only I could figure out why my very first throw of each session proves to be my best one, with subsequent throws ranging from good to awful.... :)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Zeroing in on the boomerang
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

Welcome mailman!
I was asked a while ago what my favorite trick was. After some thought I concluded it was the boomerang! Why? Because it is the gateway to so many other tricks! This trick took me the longest to learn of the basic tricks.
So ... how to---

I still don't have the knack of balancing the spinning top in my hand, but that'll come next.
Learn the skyrocket.  This trick will generally land the top in your hand fairly straight. This is how I learned to balance a top. A one handed skyrocket seems to bring the top up straighter.

I still have the top get "caught" on the string sometimes, and come rocketing back at me.  I haven't figured that one out, yet.
This is usually a problem with the very first part of winding.  Too loose and the crown wrap will fall into the string mid throw, there is a telltale shaking as the top spools out.  Too tight and the string can get jammed in the knot. Try lowering the knot a bit from the crown.  This seem to be worse with old strings.

I finally, after much trial and error, figured out that it works better for me if I aim not at the floor, as usual, but basically straight out away from me.  That was an "Aha!" moment.
Try making you hand motion like a sideways check mark. Level (ish) throw with an up and back pull.  Bend your knees when you catch.

Keep at it.  It took me a solid hour of throwing to even get one in my hand.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »

Welcome to the sport and the forum, mailman!

The first thing with a BK is to make sure you are using the correct length of string. Those tops usually come with a string that is too short.
In general, the optimal length depends on the spintop model and the string thickness (thicker = shorter), but not on your height. The important thing is how high reaches the wrap. On the BK it should be just one or two turns shy of completely covering the rough surface section of the body.

The reason it is sometimes catching is probably because you are pulling too early. With practice you learn to pull at the right moment and then it becomes second nature.

Good luck!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »

Welcome mailman!
I was asked a while ago what my favorite trick was. After some thought I concluded it was the boomerang! Why? Because it is the gateway to so many other tricks! This trick took me the longest to learn of the basic tricks.
So ... how to---

I still don't have the knack of balancing the spinning top in my hand, but that'll come next.
Learn the skyrocket.  This trick will generally land the top in your hand fairly straight. This is how I learned to balance a top. A one handed skyrocket seems to bring the top up straighter.

This is usually a problem with the very first part of winding.  Too loose and the crown wrap will fall into the string mid throw, there is a telltale shaking as the top spools out.  Too tight and the string can get jammed in the knot. Try lowering the knot a bit from the crown.  This seem to be worse with old strings.

I finally, after much trial and error, figured out that it works better for me if I aim not at the floor, as usual, but basically straight out away from me.  That was an "Aha!" moment.
Try making you hand motion like a sideways check mark. Level (ish) throw with an up and back pull.  Bend your knees when you catch.

Keep at it.  It took me a solid hour of throwing to even get one in my hand.

Thanks for the pointers!  I'll keep at it, and I'll pay special attention to the way I wrap the string. 

I'm going to get this boomerang.  It's just a matter of time....

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »

Welcome to the sport and the forum, mailman!

The first thing with a BK is to make sure you are using the correct length of string. Those tops usually come with a string that is too short.
In general, the optimal length depends on the spintop model and the string thickness (thicker = shorter), but not on your height. The important thing is how high reaches the wrap. On the BK it should be just one or two turns shy of completely covering the rough surface section of the body.

The reason it is sometimes catching is probably because you are pulling too early. With practice you learn to pull at the right moment and then it becomes second nature.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help.  Based on your criteria, I think my string is the correct length; it certainly can't be off by much.  I think I may be pulling at the wrong time, some times.

If I'm not mistaken, I have you to thank for my recent (re)discovery of the top.  I believe I met you in April at the RIT Juggle-In, where you were nice enough to let me try one of your tops in the gym.  I made a horrible throw, letting go of the top AND the string, and got badly embarrassed.  You were very cool about it, though, and tried to coax me into trying again.  You and Mark Hayward caused several of us in the Rochester Juggling Club to get bitten by the top bug that weekend.

Thanks for that!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:08:03 PM by mailman »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

welcome mailman  :D   
cant add anything seems like everythings been said about the boomerang  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, I have you to thank for my recent (re)discovery of the top.  I believe I met you in April at the RIT Juggle-In, where you were nice enough to let me try one of your tops in the gym.  I made a horrible throw, letting go of the top AND the string, and got badly embarrassed.  You were very cool about it, though, and tried to coax me into trying again.  You and Mark Hayward caused several of us in the Rochester Juggling Club to get bitten by the top bug that weekend.

Thanks for that!
That is wonderful! I am very happy if I inspired you and others at RIT to pursue top spinning!
Jeff Peden already knows to play some and should be able to help you. This reminds me that I need to send Jeff the original photograph holding my big top Figaro in his hand.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »

Yes, welcome mailman!!!  Glad to hear about the RIT connection.  You are a lucky man to be so close to Don Olney and his inspiration.

Over the years I have had trouble with string that is too old or too dirty or too damp.  Is that first throw done with a hand that is not quite so sweaty and then subsequent attempts have more dampness in the string?  Just a thought.

I can't say enough good things about the RIT juggle fest.  I really hope to get back there someday.  Keep up the good work with all of that!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »

Thanks for that!
That is wonderful! I am very happy if I inspired you and others at RIT to pursue top spinning!
Jeff Peden already knows to play some and should be able to help you. This reminds me that I need to send Jeff the original photograph holding my big top Figaro in his hand.

Yes, Jeff is a good friend!  Will you be attending the RIT Juggle-In in future years?  I'd like to meet you again, and get some first-hand pointers.... ;)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »

Yes, welcome mailman!!!  Glad to hear about the RIT connection.  You are a lucky man to be so close to Don Olney and his inspiration.

Over the years I have had trouble with string that is too old or too dirty or too damp.  Is that first throw done with a hand that is not quite so sweaty and then subsequent attempts have more dampness in the string?  Just a thought.

I can't say enough good things about the RIT juggle fest.  I really hope to get back there someday.  Keep up the good work with all of that!

I doubt that my string is too old, as the top is pretty new.  It is a bit soiled, now, but not terribly so.  I intend to throw it in the washer with our next load of white clothes (but not into the dryer).

I don't think sweaty hands is my problem with throws after that first good one.  I wonder whether I may be rushing myself, and not paying close enough attention to wrapping the string and performing a decent throw.

I took another look at the length of the string that came with my BK, and now I believe it is probably too short.  It falls at least a 1/4 inch, and perhaps 3/8 inch, short of covering the "rough" area on the BK's body.  Certainly more than enough to accept another few wraps.  I'll have to find some new string.

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of making my own, after seeing Mr. Neff's YT video on the subject....

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »

I doubt that my string is too old, as the top is pretty new.  It is a bit soiled, now, but not terribly so.  I intend to throw it in the washer with our next load of white clothes (but not into the dryer).

I don't think sweaty hands is my problem with throws after that first good one.  I wonder whether I may be rushing myself, and not paying close enough attention to wrapping the string and performing a decent throw.

I took another look at the length of the string that came with my BK, and now I believe it is probably too short.  It falls at least a 1/4 inch, and perhaps 3/8 inch, short of covering the "rough" area on the BK's body.  Certainly more than enough to accept another few wraps.  I'll have to find some new string.

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of making my own, after seeing Mr. Neff's YT video on the subject....

well as u can see in the picture below of my BK that ive beat around for a cpl years now, the string nowhere near covers the rough part and is soiled as heck (dirt, water, linseed oil from homemade tops u name it its on it lol) and this top still plays very well, so in my opinion atleast if the string leaves as much as 1/2 to 3/4 inch of the rough portion of the top ur good to go  ;) good luck sir!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 11:21:46 PM »

I respectfully disagree with Jack  ;) You can still throw it with a short string if you compensate by tilting your hand and if you don't throw hard. A longer string works much better, in my opinion.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »

I respectfully disagree with Jack  ;) You can still throw it with a short string if you compensate by tilting your hand and if you don't throw hard. A longer string works much better, in my opinion.

and i respectfully submit to your wisdom  ;D

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »

and i respectfully submit to your wisdom  ;D
Ta0 throws with much longer strings than I.  When I threw a few of his tops with his strings I could not get them straight.  Since then, I have been trying longer strings with some success. When teaching little kids (4 to 7) a shorter string seems to help some of them. A later, harder pull back seems to require a longer string.  (Do I have his right?) 
The string length debate will end only at the end of the age.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:38:50 AM by Kirk »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 03:07:08 AM »

64 inches is the right length
delay the back pull as much as possible
it will come .... ;)

jim