iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zeroing in on the boomerang  (Read 7802 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Zeroing in on the boomerang
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »

64 inches is the right length
delay the back pull as much as possible
it will come .... ;)

jim

All the debate about string length made me curious, and I went and measured the string that was supplied with my BK by Duncan.  Measured from the button to the knot, it's 61 1/2 inches....

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »

it will come .... ;)

jim

All the debate about string length made me curious, and I went and measured the string that was supplied with my BK by Duncan.  Measured from the button to the knot, it's 61 1/2 inches....

Unless the string was really thick, 61.5 inches is WAY too short. This has always being a frustrating problem with Duncan packaging of their tops.

What is important on the boomerang throw is how high is the initial pull of the string with respect to the center of mass of the top. If it is too far below it will make the top flip very fast and you loose control (plus it over-rotates). On the other hand, if you went with a string that is super long, the top will not flip over.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »

it will come .... ;)

jim

Unless the string was really thick, 61.5 inches is WAY too short. This has always being a frustrating problem with Duncan packaging of their tops.

What is important on the boomerang throw is how high is the initial pull of the string with respect to the center of mass of the top. If it is too far below it will make the top flip very fast and you loose control (plus it over-rotates). On the other hand, if you went with a string that is super long, the top will not flip over.

i am literally laughing my head off i had no idea there was so much conflicting opinions about string length lol, i just checked and my string length is 58 1/4'' and i can throw that BK as hard as i physically can and it works perfect so i have a theory here: maybe our idea of the optimal string length is based roughly on the tops that we learned with??? perhaps ive just been correcting for so long??? i mean i can literally throw that BK with the 58 string REALLY hard so maybe its because my first top that i learned on had a short string??? lol mailman uve started a very interesting disccusion lol

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »

i am literally laughing my head off i had no idea there was so much conflicting opinions about string length lol
There were no conflicting opinions until you new guys came around  . . .  :P

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »

i am literally laughing my head off i had no idea there was so much conflicting opinions about string length lol
There were no conflicting opinions until you new guys came around  . . .  :P

ur a kindhearted fellow to put up with us ta0  ;) ill be quite now  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:33 PM »

This is my opinion on string:

https://sites.google.com/site/yophosis/spin-tops-101/all-about-string

I agree with Jim, 64" on the BK.  Also I agree with Kirk, shorter strings make a difference with shorter people.

Duncan has been asking the Mexican factory that makes the BK's to make the string longer for years.  Last year in a case of BK's I got, the average length was 61" inches.  This is too short to throw the top properly but it is not too short to throw the top.  Jack, you have learned to throw with a short string.  You are experienced enough now to know how to adjust your trow, so no worries.  Actually, using a shorter string has many advantages when you are regenerating.  This year I got another case of BK's, and they are now average 63".  Not there yet but it is an improvement.

We typically teach people how to throw tip up which requires the string to be correct length for that type of throw, so it is difficult to teach beginners when there are so many variables.

Mailman - your snagging could be several things.  You aren't using the "winding groove" are you?  That thing is dangerous, it will snag, do not use it.  Also if your wrap is loose, it can snag.  Make sure your first few wraps on the tip are really tight, and keep it snug as you go up.  Also, if you are throwing down sometimes the string will "unravel" instead of "unwind" and that can snag as well.  Make sure the long axis is perpendicular to the string as it leaves your hand.

Also, here is my video on balancing a spin top in your hand if you are still working on that:

Good luck

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »

This is my opinion on string:

https://sites.google.com/site/yophosis/spin-tops-101/all-about-string

I agree with Jim, 64" on the BK.  Also I agree with Kirk, shorter strings make a difference with shorter people.

Duncan has been asking the Mexican factory that makes the BK's to make the string longer for years.  Last year in a case of BK's I got, the average length was 61" inches.  This is too short to throw the top properly but it is not too short to throw the top.  Jack, you have learned to throw with a short string.  You are experienced enough now to know how to adjust your trow, so no worries.  Actually, using a shorter string has many advantages when you are regenerating.  This year I got another case of BK's, and they are now average 63".  Not there yet but it is an improvement.

We typically teach people how to throw tip up which requires the string to be correct length for that type of throw, so it is difficult to teach beginners when there are so many variables.

Mailman - your snagging could be several things.  You aren't using the "winding groove" are you?  That thing is dangerous, it will snag, do not use it.  Also if your wrap is loose, it can snag.  Make sure your first few wraps on the tip are really tight, and keep it snug as you go up.  Also, if you are throwing down sometimes the string will "unravel" instead of "unwind" and that can snag as well.  Make sure the long axis is perpendicular to the string as it leaves your hand.

Also, here is my video on balancing a spin top in your hand if you are still working on that:

Good luck

Thanks, Chris, I will take your advise!  I am still working on balancing the top in my hand, as you mentioned.  I had better luck with it when my BK had a fixed tip on it.  Since breaking the fixed tip, and installing a bearing tip, I've had more trouble with it.  I have a new fixed tip on its way, so maybe I'll get it all sorted out.

I see that you suspect the height of the thrower factors into the string length debate, and I trust your assessment.  I'm on the tall side, at 6' 4", and my string is 61 1/2" long.  I'm going to see about acquiring a longer string.

I have watched lots of your videos, all of which were very helpful!  I'm particularly taken with the one on making string, and I may just try that someday soon.

Thanks again for the advice, and I'll keep practicing....

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »

I see that you suspect the height of the thrower factors into the string length debate, and I trust your assessment.  I'm on the tall side, at 6' 4", and my string is 61 1/2" long.  I'm going to see about acquiring a longer string.
I thick what Chris meant by "shorter players" is 4 to 6 year olds. Many of them do not have the skill to throw hard enough. A shorter string helps them.  By the time a child has learned to throw a ball well they can use a regular (suitable to the top) string.