iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mercurio: new stainless steel top from Trompos Space!  (Read 18228 times)

woodguy

• i have an urge to spin the top.
Re: Mercurio: new stainless steel top from Trompos Space!
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

i would love one of these tops too... ;D

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »

Mine is for sale.

topper777

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »

i am interested in a new one , where do i go to get one??? how much in us currency

woodguy

• i have an urge to spin the top.
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »

sirboot what would you like for your top?

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 06:07:03 AM »

Oh :o So shinny :o

jochs12

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »

Mine is for sale.

Is there something you don't like about the top?
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 01:03:24 AM »

I know SirBoot32 is not a fan of the Mercurio. Personally, I have not played enough with it to give and informed opinion, but the wide tip is not what I like.  Trompillo, who really likes this top and plays a lot with it, has modded the tip and made it in narrower.  For a metal top it is light and I am a heavy-top guy, but some players prefer light tops (specially if they are accustomed to playing with Mexican tops). Something I really like about the top is that the body is indestructible.

The adjustable-height weight was a good idea on paper but in practice it is just a novelty that does not change play significantly. One day I'll make a heavier weight out of steel and try it.

By the way, WELCOME to the forum, jochs12!

jochs12

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »

Thanks.  I am really enjoying it so far.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »

Yes, welcome jochs12.  It is good to have you with us.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »

If you have more than one threaded weight (from either a Mercurio or Jupiter), you can simply add an extra one to make these heavier; I've got mine set up like this.  I also narrowed / re-profiled my tip--a little thinner at the neck and removed the "bulge".  I like this much better than before.  I'm not crazy about the fit of the cap or the rubber o-ring, but all in all these are nice tops.  I'll prolly make a new cap at some point, but haven't got to it yet...
Erratic Wobbler

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 07:53:54 PM »

I'm not crazy about the fit of the cap or the rubber o-ring, but all in all these are nice tops.  I'll prolly make a new cap at some point, but haven't got to it yet...

Although I’m not as opposed to o-rings as some people, when the o-ring on my Mercurio broke due to old age decay, I decided not to replace it.  It didn’t add much as a weight ring nor was it well secured.  As others mentioned, the Jupiter cap is not the best match to the Mercurio body, but the o-ring nicely hides this and provides some protection to the extended weak lip of the plastic cap.   Without the o-ring the lip is vulnerable and without purpose, so I removed most of it while slightly reducing the diameter of the engagement feature to provide a secure fit into the body.  With the lip now flush to the outside of the body and not as thin, it seems more robust.  Pictured is an as-supplied Jupiter cap alongside the modified Jupiter cap.  The exposed white plastic is where the diameters have been adjusted.  Next is the caps mounted to a Neptuno and Mercurio to show the change when assembled.  Allowing the cap to fully engage the body and seat against the flat rim makes the assembly more secure and solid.  I would not say that it changes how it plays in any clear way.  Note that the Mercurio body is different from the Neptuno so that the modified cap for the Mercurio does not fit well with the Neptuno and a properly fitting Neptuno cap will not fit a Mercurio, at least for my examples

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2023, 09:29:05 AM »

Good job modding that cap.
I was curious about your comment that the bodies of the Mercurio and Neptuno were different. I checked my collection of 4 Mercurios (original, trompillo logo, neon and copper) and 2 Neptunos (fixed tip and bearing tip): I would say they are almost identical and a cap that fits one should also fit the other one.
Of the 6 tops, 5 still have the original o-ring in good condition. Had less luck with the Spintastics, but those are older and the o-rings were stretched more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:54:52 PM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 07:32:07 PM »

The termination diameters are quite close but my Neptuno is slightly larger than the Mercurio.  These diameters are difficult to measure because both are slightly out of round, perhaps from drops but likely original as a result of the manufacturing process of metal spinning.  I don't know what the metal spinning form design diameters were but the results for my examples have the Neptuno about 0.010 to 0.015 inch larger.  Plus for some length, the Neptuno body has walls approximately parallel to the axis, while the Mercurio has walls that are angled immediately by perhaps 10 degrees.  Thus a tight fitting cap with a straight wall modded for my Neptuno does not fit my Mercurio, and a tight fitting cap modded for my Mercurio is rather loose in my Neptuno. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2023, 12:37:17 AM »

. . . my examples have the Neptuno about 0.010 to 0.015 inch larger.  Plus for some length, the Neptuno body has walls approximately parallel to the axis, while the Mercurio has walls that are angled immediately by perhaps 10 degrees. 
You are right, I can see that little difference. I didn't think it would matter, but I don't make precision stuff like you do.

Skywalker22

• Hello everyone I Love Spin Tops! lol
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2023, 12:39:56 AM »

:o :o :o 8) 8) 8)
Javier Caballero has posted photos and information about the new top of Trompos Space (thanks John M. for the heads up), to complement the line of Saturno and Jupiter.  As expected, has the name of another planet, but otherwise it is a big surprise: the body is made of stainless steel! The walls are thin enough (1 mm) that is actually not a heavy top at 55 gr. However, Javier says it is almost indestructible  :)  So is the steel tip (hardened, I imagine). The model name on the side of the body is laser inscribed.

More photos and info at this Trompo Space forum posting.

I have one of every Trompos space Spin Tops except this SS Roller, I have the brass body version (Number 1678/4000) and I love it! You can really crank down on these tops and they spin forever. Especially if you get creative and add weights on the center bolt inside to get it finely balanced lol. I always use contact cleaner to remove any lube so the bearings spin longer, these tops have a "Self Contained" bearing tip which I find interesting. I wish you could just buy the tip replacements for them!  Some Tops are best thrown soft(er) than these that is for sure. Like the Spintastics Sidewinder, it likes to be moderately thrown.Also this top with 4g added inside likes a shorter string that you would expect, I make my own string and it is perfect.  Anyway I love the brass version so I am going to have to get one. I am waiting on my NEW Sweetle by Chris Neff in the mail now! God I love that huge top lol. Peace ✌
"Remember, we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"