iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mercurio: new stainless steel top from Trompos Space!  (Read 18224 times)

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
Re: Mercurio: new stainless steel top from Trompos Space!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »

Thanks for the links Johnm!

even if i didn't love the idea of the adjustability of it, i'd love it to be a capless top, the thin walls would be nice to try out, but then again it'd be quite a loud bell ring when it hits anything solid when dropped.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »

I really look forward to trying this top, specially with the cap off. I suspect it will play somewhat differently to other tops.

i'd love it to be a capless top, the thin walls would be nice to try out, but then again it'd be quite a loud bell ring when it hits anything solid when dropped.

As Spinningray pointed out (see the pic below), the tip and cap screw to the same rod to hold the top together; without the cap, the tip just drops out so you'll need to fabricate some additional component to secure the tip to the body if you want to play capless.  Probably some type of extended sleeve into which the tip shaft slips and then pinches the body of the top by tightening a screw in the tapped hole.  Or perhaps epoxy to 'permanently' secure the tip while still allowing the cap/rod to be removable.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »

As Spinningray pointed out (see the pic below), the tip and cap screw to the same rod to hold the top together; without the cap, the tip just drops out so you'll need to fabricate some additional component to secure the tip to the body if you want to play capless.  Probably some type of extended sleeve into which the tip shaft slips and then pinches the body of the top by tightening a screw in the tapped hole.  Or perhaps epoxy to 'permanently' secure the tip while still allowing the cap/rod to be removable.

i noticed that, i was just thinking i'd use superglue like i did with my QS-body/RC-tip

ASOCIACION ANTEQUERA

• ASOCIACION ANTEQUERA
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »

Es una gran novedad este trompo "planetario" que denomina MERCURIO. Es una preciosidad y por lo que he podido comprobar baila muy bien y esta muy equilibrado. Una belleza verlo evolucionar. Adjunto fotos con el mar veraniego de Lisboa. Saludos a todos desde Antequera, Málaga, España.
Sebastián

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »

Envidia por el trompo y por la playa . . .  >:D

Great top in a great setting! I'll include one of the pictures in the 2011 photo contest.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »

Es una gran novedad este trompo "planetario" que denomina MERCURIO. Es una preciosidad y por lo que he podido comprobar baila muy bien y esta muy equilibrado. Una belleza verlo evolucionar. Adjunto fotos con el mar veraniego de Lisboa. Saludos a todos desde Antequera, Málaga, España.

Can we get a translation?

I was only able to get every third word or so. Dances well, well balanced, attached photos, with the sea, summer, Lisbon, and Greetings to all from Antequera, Málaga, España. I don't think that quite captures the essence of the post.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »

Can we get a translation?

I was only able to get every third word or so. Dances well, well balanced, attached photos, with the sea, summer, Lisbon, and Greetings to all from Antequera, Málaga, España. I don't think that quite captures the essence of the post.

Actually, I think it does capture the essence of the post  ;D Except perhaps that you should use "very" before "well" and that it is also beautiful, that new "planetary" top.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »

In this tread in the Trompos Space forum they reveal that the technique used to form the stainless steel body is CNC metal spinning.  A very nice approach as demonstrated by this video they identified as similar to the production of the top body (but not the top begin made).

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »

Cool, thanks for posting!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »

Neat top. I just sent an e-mail as well.   :)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »

That is very cool!

On the thread on the Trompo Space forum, Javier Caballero (the owner of the company) wrote:
¿Os imaginais un megatrompo del tamaño de Fígaro y con 130 gramos de peso?
Esto ya es posible utilizando la mísma técnica.
Translation:
"Can you imagine a megatop of the size of Figaro and (only) 130 grams of weight?
That is already possible with this technology."
 :o :o :o  8) 8) 8)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »

Javier has made a correction to the initial specs: the weight of the top is 65 gr, not 55 gr.  However, in the future he wants to lower it to that range or even less.

If I understood correctly, something he is not too happy about in the current model is the connection with the tip: because the way the body is made the wall has a round edge and that leaves a small groove.   But on an email he tells me he has visited a new factory that can do advanced metal spinning ("repujado") and this will allow him to do things that seemed impossible a week ago. Trompo Space should be praised for opening new frontiers in the manufacture of tops.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »

On the Trompos Space forum Javier announced that the first batch of Mercurios sold out, much faster than expected. From now on future batches will have trompillo's design on them.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 04:30:32 AM »

In personal conversation Javier confirmed me all you say.

I try to convinced him to increase the weight of the top. The bad ajustment with the crown is because the manufacturer do the body a bit smaller than expected. And the tip of the body isn't enought flat to hold correctly the tip. This question makes impossible the roller version in the first Mercurio batch.

Another good new is the string. By first time in decades, thanks to Trompos Space a small cotton twisted string is being maked today in Spain. I saw some new prototipe strings and I'm very excited. I told him about a opposite twisted string for left handed toppers.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »

In personal conversation Javier confirmed me all you say.

Another good new is the string. By first time in decades, thanks to Trompos Space a small cotton twisted string is being maked today in Spain. I saw some new prototipe strings and I'm very excited. I told him about a opposite twisted string for left handed toppers.

New string just for tops, excellent!! And some made for left handed toppers, that would be something  ;D