iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Spanish spintops from Funtrix  (Read 34031 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
New Spanish spintops from Funtrix
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:40 AM »

A Spanish manufacturer of juggling equipment and skill toys, Funtrix, has introduced a new spintop. Pulp was hired to help in the design (he was also involved in the Saturno). You can find some drawings on the eolo.com shop that will give you an idea of the looks, but Pulp says in his forum that they are not accurate.

When I was in Spain last year, Javier Fortes showed me photographs of the filming of a professional promotional video in which he starred (you can also briefly see Pulp):

But the tops on the video are actually Spintastics! Anyway, the project has been two years in the making and they invested quite a bit of money, so it should be a brand that will stay. The price of the tops is 6 euros.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: New Spanish spintops from Funtrix
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »

The orange one looks like a Saturno, but the other ones are different.  I like the large tip!

I also like the colors, but I suppose these are only "artist renderings".

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:21:00 PM by ta0 »
Erratic Wobbler

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

The kids are very good.  A very good job of putting the clip together.  I like it. ;D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

suttonjp

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »

Does anyone know a contact with Funtrix?  I put 2 tops in my cart and ran the checkout to see what shipping would be.  The total cost for 2 tops and shipping to the US was 37.29 euros or $52.71.  A little steep for me.  If anyone would be interested in putting together a bulk order to save on shipping, I'd be intersted.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »

This image from the Eolo main site is better than their shop site:

It seems Funtrix is one of the brands from Eolo Industries. From the name it may have started as a kite company.

The top includes an "instructional DVD", what is a great idea (perhaps really a mini CD as those that Duncan includes with many products).

Obviously through Pulp or Javier F. we have direct contact with them. But it is a larger company with many other products so it probably won't be as easy to interact with them as with Trompos Space (something like Duncan compared to Spintastics). But you can buy some of their other products in the US (including Amazon) so I imagine these will also be available.

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

The Tops look very cool, interesting to see the crown with a size in between the old wooden peg tops and the modern version that is very wide.
I will probably try to see if a friend from Spain can send me some, because that shipping price is a bit steep.

(Are all the Spanish Top manufacturer's called Javier?)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

Don't mix Javiers:

Javier Fortes is a young player from Mollina, and Javier Caballero is the owner of trompos Space.

The DVD enclosed a lot of tricks performed by the tree kids and the outdoor exhibition.

You can see Javier in the video about Mollina meeting with Tao Las September. And you can see Diego in a Snap-start video in my Pulpowsky YouTube page.

The three kids are own the 8 tricks Spintastics patch, And Javier have got all the rest except the trainer one.

The top is for beginners and advanced player. And the tip have enought metal for tunning.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »

I really hope one of the online yoyo stores will see that their is indeed a market for spintops in the U.S. and start selling the Funtrix tops and the Saturno tops/Cuper 360's. The shipping is outrageous for a single person to do alone so I and I'm sure others have not had the opportunity to buy some of these great tops.
p.s. anyone with an extra Cuper please let me know ;D

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

Nice to see that this one (apparently) and the Jupiter have smooth sides without grooves.
This is the picture from amazon in the UK (link)where it says the diameter is 6.5 cm while the Funtrix claim is 10.9cm which I suspect is a printing error.  They claim it was first available at amazon in September 2010.

They have a nice pdf product catalog (catalog link) in Spanish which confirms 6.5 cm diameter.  They say "Launcher Included" but the catalog picture suggests it is the button and string rather than a ripcord/spintastics style beginners launcher.  The removable cap secured without tape and without the typical tabs is interesting but hard understand from the picture.

I'm hoping for a indepth Pulp review in the near future.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

I am surprised they would make an expensive advertising video using another brand (Spintastics) and in addition use some bearing tips which the Funtrix aren't designed to have. It is a great video promoting the hobby in general but not the brand. I wonder if in the instructional DVD they use Funtrix. If they don't, it would be very curious  :o

Don't mix Javiers:

Javier Fortes is a young player from Mollina, and Javier Caballero is the owner of trompos Space.

Javier in trompos = Dale in yo-yos  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »

[/quote]
This looks like a computer generated graphic, so I assume it is a design drawing.  I do like the shape, even the extra tall crown, but it looks like it will be top heavy.  It kinda reminds me of Misfit #2  :D.  The width of the tip looks a little big, making it difficult to get the string off when you want to.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »

I add some photos of the last prototype. It looks like the production one except by a less sharp edge of the tip.

General view.

The strips are painted, so that the string slip well over the surface of the body in risky lassos.

Placing the last tip I did for the last dinamic test.

The crown.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:11:29 PM by Pulp »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »

So it opens for string storage?  How is the crown held to the body?

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »

Hi Jorge (Pulp), will there be an opportunity to buy some as a group to save on shipping as we did with the Jupiter?

Thanks a lot!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:08:13 PM by MatiasStuntMan »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »

Ha! they are real.  Like Chris, I thought these were simply simply figments of computer animation.

Thanks Pulp!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up