iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Spanish spintops from Funtrix  (Read 33989 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: New Spanish spintops from Funtrix
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

Thanks Pulp for the real pictures.

So it opens for string storage?  How is the crown held to the body?

If I trust Google translator acting on Pulp's forum, the cap screws onto the body (I assume similar to a Quicksilver assembly) and the 'air scoops' on the very end act as a knob to hold for turning on and off.  This additional drag should be easy to mod away by filling with epoxy like many have done to Ripcords and could be part of the first mods to make diet Funtrix.  Perhaps ta0 will need do some new lifetime test with his tacometer.  It will be interesting to see how the plastic (assumed) threads hold up to impacts.  It maybe common practice to automatically tape the joint just in case, however, the angles look rather steep for tape to conform.  I never store a string inside a small top, but I wonder if string storage is common in Mexico and Spain.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »

Ha! they are real.
Perhaps, semi-real? It looks like the output of a 3-D printer (rapid-prototyping machine) . . .

If I trust Google translator acting on Pulp's forum, the cap screws onto the body
Yes, the cap screws into the body.  If Pulp did not flip the picture, it has a left-handed thread (what makes the "Close <-> Open" marking a necessity). This would make sense so it doesn't become unscrewed when used by a right-handed player.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »

Thanks for the photos pulp!
Very interesting.  I'd love to try it out.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »

The first pictures of a production Funtrix bought at a store were posted on Pulp's forum here. The plastic has a completely different look that may confirm my suspicion that Pulp's was made on a rapid prototyping machine.

The specs measured by Cattus are:

98,2mm (height) by 62,4 mm (width)
 weight: 61,8 gramos

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »

A top slightly larger than the Spintastics Trompo Grande. I would love to try out this top as well. I like the look of this Funtrix trompo. the black & orange one.

rusty

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 03:36:04 AM »

I have just gotten a few of the Funtrix spin tops. I have not had the time to play a lot with them, but this morning I got the time to look at most of the DVD so I thought I would write something.

For the spin top the string is quite long so I have not managed to do a clean boomerang yet. I have to find the correct string length. (I hurt my shoulder last weekend doing off-road unicycling so I cannot practice much now). I guess the more experienced players can give better opinions about the spin top.

For the DVD I was positively surprised. I thought it would be a short DVD with just some simple tricks, but there is a quite large collection of tricks there. One thing is that they are only playing with Trompo Grande tops and they do not mention when they are using fixed tips and bearing tips, but I think they only used a bearing tip once.
It shows that it is a cheap DVD in the menu system, there was two tricks that linked to the same trick and I think one or more tricks was listed in more than one difficulty section. I have only tried the English menu so it might be better in the Spanish menu.
The filming of the tricks was good, they are shown from one or two angles and in slow motion so it should not be a problem to find out what they are doing. For me it was really the selection of tricks that was the best. They have a separate section with regeneration tricks like barrel rolls, suns, roller coaster, sewing machine, drumbeat, ... They have several advanced tricks as well, at least for me :) like around the head wire walker, behind the head wire walker, staircase to heaven, ... Some tricks could be easier to understand if the camera was looking down at the top, but I think I understand what is going on in most of the tricks. And I guess it could be easier to understand if there was some text or explanation, but that is hard for a cheap multilingual DVD. Maybe there is some explanation in the Spanish language selection, I will have to check that later.

Here is a picture of the spin top next to a Trompo Grande I got from Salvador.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »

Thanks for the review, Rusty!
The top is bigger than what I imagined.  I like the tip. I looks like one of mine . . .
Stairway to Heaven is on the DVD?  :o  ;D  Who is doing it? Pulp? Javier Fortes?
I need to get a set.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:59:27 AM by ta0 »

rusty

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »

Who is doing it? Pulp? Javier Fortes?
I do not know the name, but it is one of the kids in the trailer from youtube. The one at 0:22, I think I have seen some clips with him here before, maybe with you as well.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »

Thanks Rusty!  Does it play a little "faster" than a TG?

Who is doing it? Pulp? Javier Fortes?
I think it must be Javier?

P.S.  I think you will find that your Trompo Grande would play much nicer if you used one continuous piece of vinyl (electrical) tape on the crown.  Believe it or not, it will also hold spin longer.  Just a thought.
Erratic Wobbler

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »

Hi Rusty, how did you buy it?

Thanks a lot!

rusty

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »

P.S.  I think you will find that your Trompo Grande would play much nicer if you used one continuous piece of vinyl (electrical) tape on the crown.  Believe it or not, it will also hold spin longer.  Just a thought.
I guess so, but it was this way when I got it from Salvador so I thought there was a reason. It is also a bit painful to catch when I do a bad throw and catch it in my hands so I will have to fix it.

Hi Rusty, how did you buy it?
I bought it from here, they had a bit cheaper shipping, but it was still more in shipping than for the spin tops.
http://www.spielwarenoase.com/product_info.php?info=p151880_FUNTRIX--Spin-Top--mit-Anleitung-auf-DVD-.html

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 11:09:20 PM »

He must have the extra tape on the trompo grande for cushion.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »

Salvador plays over concrete, extra tape helps keep 'er undamaged.  I'm surprised the seams are lapped like they are since Salvador is right handed.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »

The shipping is crazy, but I would like to try it

Anyone interested in getting some, we can all split the shipping
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up