iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: thread about the longest spinning top  (Read 37411 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
thread about the longest spinning top
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »

I have mentioned this subject before but now I will start talking more seriously about it.  Despite some shoulder pain at worlds, I feel like I am in really good condition to push for some long runs.  Also, I have some fine tops to work on this.  This is the time of the year for me to take the plunge as the Orlando competition is over, our weather will start to get cooler (sweaty arms, hands and rope are always a concern) and I have a built in support system to witness me as well as time me.

I have heard of Steve Brown's 45 minute run a number of years ago.  No longer run with peg tops and a string seem to be coming forth so.....I did 19 minutes at world's.  I did 30 minutes at a gas station in Georgia.  Tonight, with the cross country team present and the Miamisburg Whirled Top Fest behind me, I did a run of 46 minutes and 15 seconds.  I will not claim that as a record but as the longest recorded.  After a few days rest I will give it another go.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: thread about the longest spinning top
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »

:o Wow! I am impressed!
 That is Mike, pure and unadulterated Mike.  I see you breaking the 1 hour mark very soon and from there getting to stratospheric marks. I just got your signed Guinness World Record book but I smell another entry with your name coming sometime in the future. It is an honor to know you!

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:34:42 AM »

Thats amazing Mike, with the trompos you play with (very big), you must be exhausted, keep it up, You deserve your name on the Guinness World Record

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »

I can't say I am perfect.  My first shot last night was 11 minutes then I missed a roller coaster and it was on the ground.  Rats.  After some rest, I went after it again.  Many many thanks to the boys and girls cross-country team of Miamisburg.  It is not the most fun in the world to be a witness to longer (boring) events like this.

This is starting to feel a bit like the 3 pound ball juggling challenge I was involved in a number of years ago (has that been 6 years?  seven?).  I happened to see where someone had gone 10 minutes with three pounders and wondered if anyone had gone longer.  I got three three pound balls and went 11 minutes and told him.  He came back with a 12 minute run.  I went 13........anyway, you get the idea.  It was huge fun especially when his responses became slower and slower when we got over 20 minutes.  Months later I got a message that started out "Dear King of 3 pound juggling."

I got lots of great exercise from all of that plus lots of great memories.  I am hoping for more great memories from this top spinning endurance thing.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »

Mike I have to say... you are incredibly AWSOME! 46+ minutes. recorded! 
You will crush any the record.
Magnificent Mike. (Could be a new screen name for you to use).

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

I like your style Mike.  What are the rules? 
Is there a required size or weight of the top?
Are one-way-bearing tips allowed?
Can it be just one type of regeneration or is there a required variety of tricks? 
If it hits the ground can you save it or is it out? 
Are pants optional?
Do the witness(es) have to be sober?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »

I don't know about rules.  I am trying to keep everything as simple as possible based on the simple information I had to go on.  I must admit, though, I thought the fact that I was doing all this without pants would be the secret that others would never figure out.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »

WOO HOO!!!  Good times!  Who needs pants anyway?

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »

Neff.......rules......here you go:

Is there a required size or weight of the top?  - Yes, must be at least 8" in diameter and weigh no less than 2 lbs.
Are one-way-bearing tips allowed? - Yes, however, if you are a right-handed player the bearing must be set for lefties
Can it be just one type of regeneration or is there a required variety of tricks? - Anything goes
If it hits the ground can you save it or is it out? - You must hit the ground and save it every 3.5 minutes
Are pants optional? - No, no pants, only Speedos...........
Do the witness(es) have to be sober? - Witnesses must have a blood/alchohol level of at least .10.......

Any other questions?

To everything turn, turn, turn..................

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »

Rules!  Thank you Eric, my OCD tendencies are off the chart when I don't have guidelines.  This challenge is going to be difficult.  I don't think my legs are near sexy enough for this.  Gonna have to let the leg hair grow out again.

kevinm

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »

i can keep silent no longer.
two problems with this thread, problem one:
you are going to have issues with the extreme conditions forced on potential spectators with this proposed rule list.
problem two:
I don't think my legs are near sexy enough for this.  Gonna have to let the leg hair grow out again.
i don't know where to even start with this one....

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

Thats funny yocephus, I havent thought of that
What about other people reading this topic, im sure they wondering, "are all this rules required", we going to get some funny videos in the future, cant wait ;D ;D ;D

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »

I Agree on the no rule thing, I have done over 45 minutes on a snap start. Do We need to start recording these "runs" or are we going to have a endurance battle at nats or worlds?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 12:37:03 AM »

Let's try it at Nats, pants or no pants

kevinm

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:05:24 AM »

do you know if there will be a vuvuzela vendor at nats, or will spectators have
to bring their own?