iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Magic levitation trick with top  (Read 553 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Magic levitation trick with top
« on: March 17, 2023, 11:09:03 AM »

The Grandfather's Spinning Top:

I ordered it. It's based on the classic levitating magic trick, but the reviews are great, including the instructions, and supposedly good for beginner to intermediate magicians. We'll see if I can do it convincingly. In the worst case, I'll have a new top in my collection.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 04:56:49 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Magic levitation trick with top
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »

I received the top and watched the main explanation video.
The value is mostly on the tutorial and all the tips on little details that make the performance look good.
For a collector, the top and box itself are a little disappointing in quality.
The basis of the trick is the usual magic levitation that you can learn on youtube for free.
So, I would say that if you plan to do this specific top levitation it's worth getting, but if you just want to get it for your collection or to learn how to levitate in general, it's probably not worth it.

To do it cleanly will require some practice and preparation, but the result is impressive. I will probably try it the next time I go to a spinning top meet, so you may see it in person.  :)

If you want to see more magic with tops (including a different levitation), we discussed the show of French magician Cyril Harvey before: link.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Magic levitation trick with top
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:02:22 PM »

Hmmmm,...  maybe I should learn the trick. I would not have to carry those big and heavy magnets around when I want to show the levitating top as in Marines. Or just as a backup when I lose the Levitron top or in case it breaks.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary