iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One Way Bearings? Yay or Nay?  (Read 1075 times)

Skywalker22

• Hello everyone I Love Spin Tops! lol
One Way Bearings? Yay or Nay?
« on: January 18, 2023, 12:49:18 PM »

I would like to hear yalls opinions on a one way bearing set up for a spin top? Pros/Cons Etc. Thanks ✌

'

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 10:37:49 PM by ta0 »
"Remember, we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: One Way Bearings? Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:08:13 PM »

Unfortunately I’ve hardly ever had access to one way bearing tops; the only times I’ve ever thrown them were when I was around other top spinners who had them. I think only a few months ago did strummol8 start selling them again. From the times I’ve used them I feel they are a bit slow for me, since they regenerate so well, but they can be very nice for learning the harder regeneration tricks. Overall, to me they’re basically just fixed tip tops that can gyro flop.  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 01:21:03 PM »

They are great for learning regenerations, not only because you loose less spin when you are not regenerating but because you can actually hear it! It's noisy during the part of the trick that is not regenerating and becomes silent when it is regenerating.

When they first appeared it seemed they were going to become the most popular tips. But you cannot do any wire-walker trick what is a great limitation for fixed tip players and as a bearing tip it has considerably more friction than a normal bearing. But you could still do a cool combo sequence or even a freestyle that would be impossible without them, combining regens and tip-binding tricks.

I would recommend to have at least one in your top arsenal.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 10:00:41 PM »

Thanks for posting and asking this question.  Seems like things have been slow around here.  As ta0 says, you will want to have one around to experiment with.  Maybe a couple that are different sizes.  They can spark some creativity and fun.  Good luck with your spinning!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »

I would recommend to have at least one in your top arsenal.
I might eventually get one, but not before I can do some sort of regeneration  with a fixed tip top!

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
    • La page sur les toupies de mon site web bdc-henri.fr
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 01:41:44 AM »

J’utilise régulièrement ces roulements à sens unique (OWB), qui équipent les toupies STRUMMOL8.

Je les intègre sur certaines de mes toupies Imprimées 3D. C’est avec ce type de roulement que j’ai appris la régénération.

Je suis tout a fait d’accord avec Le commentaire de TA0.

Je me les procure directement auprès de Maurizio (STRUMMOL8).

J’en suis très satisfait.

Skywalker22

• Hello everyone I Love Spin Tops! lol
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 01:42:24 AM »

Thank you everyone for responding to this Post! I think I am going to get a one-way for my S8 Augusta to play with since i'm just not learning regens lol

Anders

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 02:13:53 PM »

Where can I buy a one-way bearing top?

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 04:50:42 PM »

Where can I buy a one-way bearing top?

I'm not sure if there is any one-way-bearing tops on the market right now, but you can buy one-way-bearings and tips set up for o-w-b on the strummol8 store: https://www.strummol8.com/shop/en/

Keep in mind the tips are only compatible with strummol8 tops (unless you want to do a lot of modding).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 10:36:06 PM »

As Texture said.
When you order a Strummol8, you can just order the standard bearing setup, plus a one-way bearing (not the whole tip), and you will be able to convert it from regular bearing to one-way-bearing. If you also order a tip break, you will be able to convert it to fixed tip. But the conversion takes several minutes, so if you can afford it, it's better to have one top with each type of tip.

Besides S8, I think only Chico produced tops with 1-way bearings. Duncan showed a prototype but never commercialized it.

Anders

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 11:27:32 AM »

As Texture said.
When you order a Strummol8, you can just order the standard bearing setup, plus a one-way bearing (not the whole tip), and you will be able to convert it from regular bearing to one-way-bearing. If you also order a tip break, you will be able to convert it to fixed tip. But the conversion takes several minutes, so if you can afford it, it's better to have one top with each type of tip.

Besides S8, I think only Chico produced tops with 1-way bearings. Duncan showed a prototype but never commercialized it.

I keep seeing this Strummol8 top thrown around on this forum.  Is this some sort of high-end top?  Is it an American company?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 12:25:22 PM »

Strummolo8 (S8) tops, are made in Italy by  Maurizio Petruccioli (MrYo on the forum). They are the best quality commercial tops. In particular, the Giulia, STB and Augusta models are the best performance bearing tops available.

Anders

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 09:57:06 PM »

Strummolo8 (S8) tops, are made in Italy by  Maurizio Petruccioli (MrYo on the forum). They are the best quality commercial tops. In particular, the Giulia, STB and Augusta models are the best performance bearing tops available.

Oh wow, that is awesome!  I need to check that out.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 05:45:26 PM »

OWB tops can be fun, though when I grab a top I'm usually grabbing a fixed tip.  I make tops and have a custom 3" delrin OWB design I can make if you're interested in a non commercial option.