iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions  (Read 95153 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: Introduction! or Top Spinning is amazzing :)
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »

Next Q:

Trying to learn the corkscrew and the top keeps flying off the string when I corkscrew it... in which direction should the string should be wrapped around the tip of the top, and how many turns ?

Thanks!!!
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 01:16:39 PM »

Start with one turn around your arm, then work up to 3 or 5.
Wrap from inside to outside on top of your arm.  (CCW when viewed from overhead)  This is the same direction as merry go round.  The top leaves your hand to the outside just like MGR

I wrap the tip one turn. Any more invites tangles.  Wrap the same direction as wire walker so the top can drive itself. It is also possible to only "loop" the tip with zero wraps. You need not drive the top too hard. It will go down hill on its own.

Watch out for the bloody lip. :)

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 01:53:19 AM »

Watch out for the bloody lip. :)

I have experienced the bloody lip several times with the Quicksilver top while learning the corkscrew.  The weight of that top makes for a very good bloody lip. 

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 02:49:51 AM »

hello
whatever the number of wraps , (4 is a good start)
the secret to a successful corkscrew is the arm position
you must extend your arm in a vertical position up in the air before the start
then you only have to accompany the unwrapping : don't try to accelerate the top's rotating movement

at the end let go until the top is in the right position to go back to your hand

my 3 euro cents

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »

I can lasso off boomerang... or at least catch the top on the string.. after that all goes to hell b/c I don't undersand how to keep the top and bring it horizontal .. but I'll learn!!!

I can't believe that :)... I think the lasso from boomerang seem easier to me than trapese ( as trapese it's a different throw ) I practice a whole lot the boomerang... !!!!!

whooot!!! Rollercoaster here I come!!!

SuperTaiyaki

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »

I can lasso off boomerang... or at least catch the top on the string.. after that all goes to hell b/c I don't undersand how to keep the top and bring it horizontal .. but I'll learn!!!
This video was linked on another page earlier in this thread, but it's much the same technique as on-hand - push the top towards the tip and it will pop up. Easier said than done though!

(How does video embedding work? None of the usual SMF methods seem to display anything)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »

=== From an old thread ===
Upside down Merry Go Round as taught by ta0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gQ_qCfsxU&feature=youtu.be

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »

Thanks Kirk and cie!

I really understood a lot of those videos. I am currently able to trapeze rougly 50% of the time and working a lot on trying to do RC to hand. There is no problem about learning RCs on a bearing top. it just don't regen ( as there is a bearing ) ?

Thanks

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:16 PM »

In fact Neff recommends learning regeneration moves on a bearing top.  You can hear the bearing stop and reverse if you get the moves right.  If you can afford a OWB top then so much the better.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 01:02:55 AM »

I'd love that!!! But no sadly! My trusty yyf electrick, is starting to get older and I have the feeling it won't last long...

Any tip for the rollercoaster? I fail to understand the basic movement... It seems to be basically a two hand Merry go round where you jerk the top up to your hand when the string crosses itself...

I'll be honest, I even have trouble with the mount. The top refuse to lean enough to no stay completely vertical! And I seem to grasp that it's how I'm throwing it on the string that will create what I need!!!

Anyway, thanks for confirming me that it's not silly to work on my electric and wish me luck so that it does not die on me!!!!

SuperTaiyaki

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »

Argh forum wasn't letting me post, wrote this up once and it got deleted. Maybe this time...

I'm working on the same, as far as I can tell:
Place the string around the outside of the top
Drop your right hand slightly, start moving left, then continue in a circle to put a loop of string around the tip. Try not to pull the tip with your palm
Slide down the string, feeding out the string with your left hand. The top should end outside the left
Circle around, pulling the top around towards the tip to stand it up
Let it go outside again on the right, as it circles back in the middle pop it up
Catch to hand or loop the string around the tip and go again

Getting a loop around the tip quickly is important. It maybe better to start with a lasso from hand just to get more practice at the movement.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »

Any tip for the rollercoaster? I fail to understand the basic movement... It seems to be basically a two hand Merry go round where you jerk the top up to your hand when the string crosses itself...
Rollercoaster has a fundamental difference with Merry Go Round: the string should slip through your non throwing hand. Controlling the string "pay out" (nautical term) is critical for the trick.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »

Rollercoaster has a fundamental difference with Merry Go Round: the string should slip through your non throwing hand. Controlling the string "pay out" (nautical term) is critical for the trick.

Any more info??? I'm kind of confused... I was searching Google for the therm and not a lot of info!

I really have trouble getting the top to listen to me in that trick, drumbeat seems easier to me! I have trouble catching repetitively the top on the string tho!

Cheers and thanks a lots!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »

SuperTaiyaki's explanation is good. If you want to see my very, very old explanation, it's still on my site (the rollercoaster to hand video is mistakenly titled Joker Choker):
www.ta0.com/tricks/rollercoaster.html

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »

FINALLY...

Thanks Ta0, SuperTaiyaki's and Neff's old regen video!!! I was able to do 2 RC to hand and I'm able sometimes to bomerang to lasso to hand ( which is in my brain the same movement than RC to hand )... So far I haven't been able to do RC to string... but it's the matter of more practice... I have no idea if it regens but that's for another time :)

I'm happy! Thanks guys :)
I am amazed at how I am progressing! I'll continue working hard :)