iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: *FACEPALM* one of those moments  (Read 2419 times)

Greaves504

• Gold Member
*FACEPALM* one of those moments
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »

ever done something repetitively over and over and over again, making no progress, thinking you're doing everything you're supposed to do according to how you're supposed to do it? then either one of three things happen:

a.) you never figure it out and give up
b.) you just keep doing what you're doing and maybe somehow achieve your goal by luck (maybe more than once) 
c.) you discover new information about what you should be doing by accident.

For my case it options B and C respectively. No matter how hard I threw, the top never seemed to fly back towards me like it did in others' videos (even the kids). In today's try my hand accidentally slipped a little right as I was launching my throw and it flew behind me. I looked down towards the ground trying to find it, then I remembered I didn't hear a BANG! So I was looking around at the furniture to see if it landed on the couch or something. Turns out it was in my hand the whole time, doing a perfect spin. *FACEPALM* Tried thinking about how it tilted right before I threw it and remembered reading in one post (about a month or so before I even had a top) that you're supposed to throw it with the tip slightly above horizontal. let's just say there was another facepalm involved and we'll leave it at that. This whole time I've been throwing my top completely vertical with the tip facing straight up. Maybe now I'll be able to actually try some of the other tricks I've seen people having fun with  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:34:28 PM by Greaves504 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: *FACEPALM* one of those moments
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »

Hey Greaves504.......congratulations!  I just got back from church and some lunch and saw your message.  I'm thrilled to hear of your success.  Keep up the good work!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »

Ha! Never heard of somebody not realizing that they had landed a boomerang!  :o

The American conventional way of throwing is with the tip straight up. It gives the throw good control and speed. But it is not the only way of throwing a boomerang and other countries have other conventional throws. You can even throw with the tip pointing down, so anything in between will work with the right movement and string length. You came up with something that works for you, so you might as well keep doing it. When you get good you may want to try again the conventional method and compare them.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »

:)  :D  ;D