iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fushigi commercial - contact juggling  (Read 9022 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Fushigi commercial - contact juggling
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »

I just saw a Fushigi commercial on television.  This is a new name for contact juggling.  I was stunned to see them try to sell this type of activity as "fun and relaxing".  I always thought contact juggling was very hard....much harder than spinning tops.  This seems funny to me because so many say that top spinning is too hard and that's why lots of people do not try it.

Maybe spinning tops is not hard enough?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Fushigi commercial - contact juggling
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »

I don't think it's any harder than spinning tops, it's like any skill toy, it's all about the practice.  Also like tops, there is a lot of dropping involved when learning so you have to have a good area to practice in or a tolerant spouse  ;)

Rob

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »

And a patient downstairs neighbor

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:01 PM »

I seen this commercial a few times, im very curious about it, what material it is or how the ball feels
They make it look interesting but i think they show all the tricks you can eventually perform, it seems very limited
The fact that a trompo has a string, it gives an unlimited amount of tricks to learn, I love my trompos

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »

You can see the commercial here: www.fushigiball.com

The site says that "Fushigi is a brand new, dynamically designed ball . . . " Wow!

Is that false advertising? Could someone do an TV add  for spintops and have Matt Ritter and Gustavo Castro doing tricks while the voice over says: with a little practice you can conquer fushigi spintops! Mystify and confuse your friends in just minutes!

Well, perhaps that is the way to get tops to the masses and later have an unlimited supply of low cost used tops  :P

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:12 PM »

Like any other skill toy, the number of things that can be done with contact juggling are only limited by the creativeness of the player.  Look at where the yo-yo has come from walk the dog.  Look at the diaobolo or the monobolo, any of the skill toys.  Yes, even the spin top.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:20:03 PM by Dick Stohr »
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:54:21 AM »

Dick, I was referring to the downplaying of the difficulty in learning how to play, not at what you can do with it.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:46:38 AM »

i really like the object for contact juggling, acrylic balls are so beutiful... and that skill toy look so impressive...

I wish spin top could look as impressive for all the work we re doing in...

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »

I think the commercial implies that there is something 'magical' about the construction of the ball that allows the players to perform super hard tricks with ease, and only with the Fushigi.  I call shenanigans on these guys.  Yes, it's false advertising.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »

Ta0, I was replying to pplgrande: 

"They make it look interesting but i think they show all the tricks you can eventually perform, it seems very limited"

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

I agree with Rick.  They call it a "magic gravity" ball and imply that by purchasing one you will be able to amaze your friends in a matter of minutes.  This is far from true as I have watched many novice perfromers at juggling festivals and have been more amused than amazed.  This is what I call a pitch video, you see it and you have the impulse to plunk down $20 and in almost every case your new Fushigi will be in a closed in two or three days.

The price is in line with most online juggling retailers I checked today, however, many were "out of stock".  Therefore I don't think the product itself is a ripoff, just that the ad is mis-leading.  Caveat Emptor is a good rule for any ad on TV.

Finally, I have tried basic move on rolling the ball from the palm to the back of the hand with a Diabolo.  "Simply" do a stick grind and then try to roll the diabolo back and forth while rotating the stick 180 degrees.  Try to keep the diabolo in contact with the stick while doing this.  If you diabolo, try it, it is pretty hard.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Zeemo best puts into words what I was trying to say.  In an hour workshop I have seen more progress with new top spinners than new contact jugglers.  I have personally found contact juggling to be very frustrating!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »

I know to play, I mean, i am be able to do several tricks of "contact", and, I think, not precisly that be limited, better said, is not so spectacular as spin top is.
Is a diferent game, and for thatreason, you can not say which one is better or worst. Of course, I prefer a lot to play trompo than contact.
And i believe that is even much more easy to learn and to become a very good "contact" player in shorter period of time, than to get the same results about spinning top. At least, this is what I feel by being experienced both toys.
I stress, that to me, is not comparated the amazed that the people stays when see you playing with a top, than with a contact ball.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:43 AM »

Never mind Fushigi, check this guy out! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBw0KhtdpU&feature=related

The last few tricks--they're the fushiznit ;D

sorry.
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »

Very interesting.  Wonder who this is and where he is from?