iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First post: greetings, spin top enthusiasts!  (Read 1278 times)

Anders

First post: greetings, spin top enthusiasts!
« on: February 25, 2023, 11:36:37 PM »

Greetings, all!

This is my first post on this forum as an adult.  During my initial spin top and skill toy obsession at age 13, I had an account on this forum, but those log-in credentials are long gone.

At 29, I have rediscovered my love for acrobatic spin top play and realize that I still have all of those skills that 13-year-old me had.  I am very excited to be throwing tops again!

With that said, expect me to be picking the brains of my fellow top enthusiasts.  I have many questions pertaining to top spinning, and I'll be sharing my thoughts and opinions on things.

I realize that this is a very niche hobby.  You really have to dive deeply on the Internet to find information..and most of the videos out there are practically ancient (with the exception of a handful.)  Truthfully, this forum's layout feels a touch archaic and clumsy..but that's alright.

I look forward to joining in on the conversations.  Cheers!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: First post: greetings, spin top enthusiasts!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 12:18:47 AM »

Welcome back to the forum and the hobby, Anders!
If  you remember your old handle, I might be able to put those post under this handle, if you want.

I realize that this is a very niche hobby.  You really have to dive deeply on the Internet to find information..and most of the videos out there are practically ancient (with the exception of a handful.)  Truthfully, this forum's layout feels a touch archaic and clumsy..but that's alright.
One of my main aims of the forum is for it to serve as documentation of the spintop "culture". I have a feeling that other social media is more for ephemeral: you interact in the moment but the content is buried and lost. By the way, when you use the search function, I recommend you do it from the main page. If you do it while on one of the boards, it will only search on that board.

Anders

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 02:27:54 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 11:35:12 AM »

Bienvenido saludos cordiales de Zapopan Jalisco México

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 04:45:06 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Great to hear you're getting back into top spinning! I agree with what you said about spintop videos; it feels like they are all 10 years old. (Most of them are  :o)

When I first started learning top tricks like 3 years ago now I had to dig pretty deep to find stuff. Sometime soon when time allows we need to re-record some of the old stuff in a more modern setting.  :-\

Armando (elprofedeltrompo)

• ITSA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@Elprofedeltrompo
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 10:03:55 AM »

bienvenido, saludos trompero desde Bogotá Colombia

Anders

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 12:50:49 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Great to hear you're getting back into top spinning! I agree with what you said about spintop videos; it feels like they are all 10 years old. (Most of them are  :o)

When I first started learning top tricks like 3 years ago now I had to dig pretty deep to find stuff. Sometime soon when time allows we need to re-record some of the old stuff in a more modern setting.  :-\

Yes, I agree!  It needs some freshening up.

All of the yo-yo stuff is really current, updated and cool-looking.  All the spin top stuff, like you said, has to be dug for, and it's all old.

It seems to me that the popularity and awareness of spin tops pales in comparison to that of yo-yos and other skill toys.

Anders

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 04:50:08 PM »

Yes, I agree!  It needs some freshening up.

All of the yo-yo stuff is really current, updated and cool-looking.  All the spin top stuff, like you said, has to be dug for, and it's all old.

It seems to me that the popularity and awareness of spin tops pales in comparison to that of yo-yos and other skill toys.

You know what, I backpedal on this..if you just YouTube search "spintop freestyle" you'll be rewarded with plenty of footage of past contests. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 04:58:20 PM »

You know what, I backpedal on this..if you just YouTube search "spintop freestyle" you'll be rewarded with plenty of footage of past contests. 
You can find links to all the videos submitted for the latest three world contests (that were virtual because of the pandemic) at the ITSA site: www.spintops.org

In the US that is true. But lots more kids play with tops than yoyos in Mexico and in many other countries.
Hey, one of my top videos has 4.6 million views! How many yo-yo videos do you know with more views?  >:D

Do you recognize Dale and Val Oliver from Spintastics sitting in the background?

Takeshi has one with 7 million. There is a Taiwanese one with 74 million.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:35:34 PM by ta0 »

Anders

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 09:57:50 PM »

You're absolutely right!

Thanks for sharing those links.

Jun

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 10:05:52 PM »

I'm happy to hear that you've came back spintop world.
I hope my trick list on YouTube "J list" to help you.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgMBykWFAfiz1VgC4V4x_ByR40KHP7E-

Jun

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 02:02:21 AM »

..if you just YouTube search "spintop freestyle" you'll be rewarded with plenty of footage of past contests. 

Now, do not backpedal too far! You definitely have a point there.  For me it is not about old/new, current/ancient, cool looking/boring.
For me it is important that the videos help me advance with my playing. So watching footage of past contest and videos of fantastic players doing  seemingly impossible tricks is very entertaining and inspiring, but often not very helpful in learning specific tricks or skills.
Then there are some videos that include even some slow motion parts - only seldom helpful to me.
Some "teaching" videos are in Spanish or Japanese, still helpful to some extend.
Some people started with teaching lists of videos, but often those are too advanced for me or they stopped before there really was a structure to the trick list.

On the other hand for yo-yo tricks I found this site: yoyotricks.com
Maybe the stuff there can look so professional because they also have some commercial interest, but learning with those videos I found really helpful.
-they show a trick
-they usually also show it in slow motion
-they explain the prerequisites
-they explain what can go wrong and how to correct it
-provide structured lists

But I should not be whining around here! There are so many helpful people here in the forum and quite a few times already they made videos I asked for.
Plus it seems there is enough material to learn from, if you are talented: I hear Texture reached a very high level of play just by practicing by himself and watching videos before he ever saw someone throw a top in person - and I did not read him complaining as myself.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

Anders

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 09:35:26 AM »

Well-said!

I, too, am mesmerized by the footage of some of these past contests.  I'm thankful that they exist on YouTube.
It's amazing to me how some of these players manipulate the top with such ease..it just pops on and off the string so naturally.

I agree with you in that there isn't some central place where you can learn detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to perform certain tricks.  This is what is lacking.  It exists in the yo-yo world, but not in the top world.

Also, I notice that there is little information on where to purchase tops, top models, etc.  Do many players make their own?

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 09:34:25 PM »

bienvenida  y seguro te apasionara mas    asi es  el trompo  amor progresivo  saludos desde cancun

TROMPO MEXICO

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 01:31:30 AM »

salut Anders

there isn't some central place where you can learn detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to perform certain tricks.

www.spintricks.org

its the website managed by our friend Mermouille , in the North of France
he did a great job to compile mucho toupie info : check it out !

about your quest for players in Vermont :

you have very few chances to find spintop players in your area through our forum >:D >:D

my advice :
play regularly in a park near your place
look for mexican restaurants , play a few tricks there
check your local juggling cub if any, hang around if possible

after some time i'm sure you'll find spintop players
one can dream , there are no taxes yet 8) 8)

good day

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up