iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: On-the-floor Spin Top “Target Board”  (Read 887 times)

Skywalker22

• Hello everyone I Love Spin Tops! lol
On-the-floor Spin Top “Target Board”
« on: November 30, 2022, 12:05:34 AM »

I’m interested in either making or getting a spin top target board like as seen on dazzling Dave’s videos, any suggestions? Thanks
"Remember, we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: On-the-floor Spin Top “Target Board”
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 01:56:14 AM »

round plastic tray
or a  Frisbee

;) good day

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Skywalker22

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 01:00:50 AM »

Check this out Jim lol

I made this Wooden Spin Top board (First one lol) and its great!! I am going to add some bumpers made of oak square dowel but I doweld this together myself and did everything else. added adjustable feet so you can level it me and my kids love playing on it.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 10:26:22 PM »

Good work.  And if your kids love playing on it then that is terrific!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:11:35 AM »

Sorry, I have not been as active on the TopSpin board as much as I would like! I would have replied a long time ago if I had seen this!

Your wooden board looks good. Use something VERY durable for the bumpers.

When I made mine, it is made of a plexiglass bottom cut into a circle, and PEX piping for the bumpers. It take a heck of a beating during play, as well as transport to and from events.
I really like the PEX, as it comes in a few colors, can bend and be epoxied into place very nicely.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Dave

Skywalker22

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 01:13:23 AM »

Sorry, I have not been as active on the TopSpin board as much as I would like! I would have replied a long time ago if I had seen this!

Your wooden board looks good. Use something VERY durable for the bumpers.

When I made mine, it is made of a plexiglass bottom cut into a circle, and PEX piping for the bumpers. It take a heck of a beating during play, as well as transport to and from events.
I really like the PEX, as it comes in a few colors, can bend and be epoxied into place very nicely.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Dave

Thanks Dave! btw I'm a huge fan of yours and seen all you videos! lol I will try out the pex I had never thought of that before so thanks for the suggestion! I am a lover of hardwoods, the one in the picture is southern red oak that I doweled and glued together then cut the circles with a router and filled them with dyed wood glue/Clear epoxy then sanded from 24 Grit to 3000 grit by hand! lol mirror finish! I can spin my sweetle on it for a solid 2-3 mins with a good throw. And my Strummol8 Augusta also 2-3 min on a good throw. And believe it or not i'm learning to hit the target! haha Thanks again dave for your input! p.s. I have always wanted one of your Spin Tops just never can seem to get the money together lol Does it use R188 bearings?

The circles kinda suck but newer models have much more defined circles, plus they have square dowel bumpers on the side made of oak and sealed with poly.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 10:00:05 AM by ta0 »

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
    • La page sur les toupies de mon site web bdc-henri.fr
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 03:51:51 AM »

Mon premier plateau, c’est un frisbee comme le propose JIM. Il faut utiliser ceux en plastique dur bien sûr, pas ceux en mousse.

J’ai ensuite fabriqué d’autres plateaux carrés en bois avec un rebord, dont un est recouvert avec une plaque en aluminium.

Sur le photo le plus petit noir, est recouvert d’une plaque de caoutchouc dur, genre protection des projections des roues de camion. Ce plateau est plus délicat à utiliser, car si la toupie arrive un peu trop haut elle peut rebondir, il faut une grande précision sur le lancé.

Mon dernier plateau réalisé en 2017, est rond diamètre 60 cm en bois avec pieds réglables et un rebord en PVC expansé de type Komacel.

La surface en forme de cible est remplaçable, j’utilise du carton dur, de l’isorel, du bois MDF (medium).

J’utilise ce plateau lorsque nous jouons à TOUPIETANQUE avec des toupies de Taïwan.

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 09:09:28 AM »

Thanks Dave! btw I'm a huge fan of yours and seen all you videos! lol I will try out the pex I had never thought of that before so thanks for the suggestion! I am a lover of hardwoods, the one in the picture is southern red oak that I doweled and glued together then cut the circles with a router and filled them with dyed wood glue/Clear epoxy then sanded from 24 Grit to 3000 grit by hand! lol mirror finish! I can spin my sweetle on it for a solid 2-3 mins with a good throw. And my Strummol8 Augusta also 2-3 min on a good throw. And believe it or not i'm learning to hit the target! haha Thanks again dave for your input! p.s. I have always wanted one of your Spin Tops just never can seem to get the money together lol Does it use R188 bearings?

The circles kinda suck but newer models have much more defined circles, plus they have square dowel bumpers on the side made of oak and sealed with poly.

Glad you like my videos.
My YouTube channel is pretty eclectic, and the best way to watch is via the playlist feature. If you have not seen them all, here is the spintop playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIol_gRyRPwfV8Pyslh_2rgYwuRYBkN7p

And here is a video of me explaining how BattleTop works, and then an actual Battle Top contest in action: (It is a pretty long video, but it is great to show the process, and worth watching if you plan to run a battle someday!)

You can also see a lot of the videos of me making spintops.....I have made bearing versions, but the ones I sell are fixed tip only.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »

J’utilise ce plateau lorsque nous jouons à TOUPIETANQUE avec des toupies de Taïwan.

Toupietanque!  :) I need to show this to my brother-in-law who is French and lives in town . He has a Pétanque (French version of bocce) court in his house.
What rules do you use? It seems difficult to apply the pétanque rules as the tops will roll away.
You got 8 Taiwanese tuoluos? Nice!

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 05:19:30 AM »

Oui , c’est Claude QUINTARD, un copain cervoliste qui est passionné de tournage sur bois qui m’a fait découvrir les toupies en mai 2015. En 2017 j’ai imaginé le jeu TOUPIETANQUE en collaboration avec lui. Claude s’est chargé de la réalisation des 8 Tuoluos TaÏwanaises. J’ai fabriqué la piste et la boite de transport, et proposé des règles que nous avons affinées ensemble.

Les fichiers avec les règles et la fiche de pointage.

Une vidéo avec des exemples des scores.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 06:40:42 AM »

A similar game was played at Marines this year and also last year I think. I did not take part. But it seemed it took for ever to agree son some rules and explain them to all participants. Somehow the rules did not make perfect sense to me but everybody had fun, so it was good! Maybe someone can translate the rules posted above, with Google translate I am not happy on this.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 11:37:59 AM »

Wow! That's a complete and well-thought game!

My only doubt is what happens when a top that is sleeping is hit by a top that was sleeping but now is starting to wobble before falling. If it falls or it's thrown out of the target, it still score points, right?

Main rules in English:

1. The players stand around the target at locations marked by the numbered colored circles (distance from center equal to string length = 2.95 cm). For 8 players, opposite players form a team and have the same top color. For 4 players, each one has two tops of the same color.
2. On each round, each player throws a top in order around the circle. On the next round, the starting player moves one place.
3. Tops score the points on the target area where they end up spinning without moving ("sleeping"). The last top standing scores double points.
4. Tops that are knocked down or off the target by a spinning top do not score points.

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 04:17:52 AM »

Pour la toupie qui vacille, et qui tombe après avoir été heurtée par une autre toupie, elle marque les points seulement si elle reste sur le plateau, mais pas si elle est éjectée hors du plateau.

Bien sûr cela reste un jeu pour passer un agréable moment de divertissement, mais les discussions sont parfois très animées.

Il y a une variante pour un jeu plus rapide, qui consiste à lancer toutes les toupies en même temps, et on compte les points seulement pour la dernière en rotation sur le plateau.

Parfois, la règle est décidée au dernier moment, tout est imaginable, c’est cela le plaisir du jeu.

Les dimensions des toupies TUOLUOS ne permettent pas à des enfants de jouer, alors je remplace par des toupies plus petites, type ENERGIA, YOYO FACTORY, TROMPOS SPACE ……..

Le principal c’est de se faire plaisir, car il n’y a rien à gagner si ce n’est d’avoir passé un bon moment ensemble.

Skywalker22

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 01:47:31 AM »

Glad you like my videos.
My YouTube channel is pretty eclectic, and the best way to watch is via the playlist feature. If you have not seen them all, here is the spintop playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIol_gRyRPwfV8Pyslh_2rgYwuRYBkN7p

And here is a video of me explaining how BattleTop works, and then an actual Battle Top contest in action: (It is a pretty long video, but it is great to show the process, and worth watching if you plan to run a battle someday!)

You can also see a lot of the videos of me making spintops.....I have made bearing versions, but the ones I sell are fixed tip only.

Is there  a reason for selling only fixed tip tops? Just your personal favorites? And yes sir ive seen the video, lol my kids and I play longest spin and Battle on that board. Little different rules but similar game. Thanks for the response man! Peace
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:44:18 AM by ta0 »