iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tops and 75th IJA fest in Cedar Rapids, Iowa - 2022  (Read 2821 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Tops and 75th IJA fest in Cedar Rapids, Iowa - 2022
« on: July 05, 2022, 10:02:31 AM »

This board has seemed a bit slow to me these last few months and I feel like my posting has been less than inspired.  Last night, though, I ran across a top spinning cook (Mattias) who I have not seen in years.  I was so uplifted I started looking for more positive stories like this and I kept running across stories from festivals.  I am headed to Cedar Rapids next week and I am on the lookout for some good stories that will lift me up years from now when I look back on all of this.  Who will be there?  Jim Neff says he will be there.  I hope to see Mark Hayward.  Could the Jest Jugglers be there with Owen and Lynn?  I am left to wonder but while I do I am going to pack some tops to share!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:04:45 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Tops and 75th IJA fest in Cedar Rapids, Iowa - 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »

I wish I could go. Believe it or not, I have never been at an IJA festival (but I am a member of IJA). I was planning to go to the one in El Paso that was canceled due to covid. It's difficult for me to fit it in with all the top festivals and time with my younger son during the summer.
Have fun and hopefully lots of spintop related stories!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 11:15:01 PM »

I'll be there from late Wed. till Sunday. Our club will have a table (mostly as a prop station) so look for the giant Couch banner and stop by. Looking forward to seeing you again. 

Here's me, the Banner, a couple of club members and Taylor Tries of YouTube fame.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 12:01:02 AM by lincolnrick »

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 08:07:13 AM »

I used to attend the IJA festival every year, but have since given it up.  It got to be an expensive week, by the time you consider airfare, hotel and meals for a week, rental car, and festival registration with shows.  I guess I probably attended eight or ten times.

Juggling used to be a big part of my life, but not anymore.  My back issues make it difficult for me to pick clubs up off of the floor over and over again, like I used to.  I was primarily a club passer, and drops were just part of passing, no matter the skill level.

I miss my weekly three hour juggling club sessions, and the local and national festivals I used to attend.  But life goes on, right?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 10:03:50 AM »

I know what you are saying about one’s back.  I also know what you are saying about the cost of IJA festivals.  I have no idea what I am getting into with the costs.  I will post some of them after I register.  I am glad lincolnrick and I will cover the week.  Very sadly, our time will not overlap.  I have fond memories of seeing him in the hallway in Madison doing a merry go round with his top.  I was so amazed!!!  How long ago was that?

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 01:16:45 PM »

Oh man I'm sorry we'll miss each other Mike. I imagine Owen and Lynn will be there though and they're always fun to hang out with.
I had to go back and see when the Madison IJA was and can you believe it was 2001!? Though didn't you attend the fest in West Lafayette? That was 2014.
Anyway yes, the fests can be costly. By traveling with 2 other people, my gas and room costs are lower. Cedar Rapids is nice because if you're at the hotel, you can walk (inside) to the festival, so no daily drive. I also bought my package early so I got a slight discount. I will no doubt spend any savings on new toys. These festivals are where all the prop makers attend and there's soooo many things to tempt impulse buying.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 04:19:59 PM »

I am starting to wonder how late you might be arriving on Wednesday, lincolnrick.  It would be nice to see you, even for a few minutes.  My goal was to leave today at 2:00.  I guess I met my goal but just barely.  I pulled out of town at 1:59!!!  Got a small rental car and headed out with 48,734 miles.  We will see if I put it over 50,000 on this adventure.  Now much top action yet but I did go by Hilltop Farm.  I am pushing to try to see Jim Neff late tonight.  He asked me about bringing rascals!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 10:39:53 AM »

Sad to report my plans to attend the festival have been cancelled. Can you guess why? If you said COVID, you're right. Tested positive Sunday. I'm really mad, but to sick to be mad, ya know?

The Nebraska club has a vendor's table, at least stop by and say hi.

I'm going to go sneeze and blow my nose for the rest of eternity now.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that, Rick. That's a bummer.
Everybody seems to be getting it now.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 11:52:52 AM »

Oh no!!!  That is terrible.  I am so sorry to hear that.  I will miss you but I will be sure to stop by the Nebraska Club table. 

I have arrived and checked out the space and the city.  There is a great area for juggling.  It is in a basketball arena that looks like it could hold 10,000 people.  There is a big giant cement floor.  Looks like things will start this afternoon.  I heard Jim Neff and the Buffalo crew will be arriving before dinner.  Downtown Cedar Rapids has a lot going for it.  They are working like crazy on the area and I see a number of businesses that are doing well.  Sadly, there are still a number of buildings that are vacant.  I was surprised to run across two homeless people who were sleeping near the convention center.  I look forward to checking out food options in the next couple of days.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 02:37:04 PM »

Boy, was I off on the juggling space.  We are in a large carpeted room.  No basketball hoops or arena seating in sight.  It is well lit and has tables all around the outside edge for sales and groups.  I found the Nebraska table.  It is way off in the corner.  It will probably be a great location.  I am eating a “BIG” salad at “Need Pizza.”  It is really hitting the spot before Jim Neff arrives.  There is no cost for juggling today but they will clear out the room tomorrow morning and start charging people.  I had to show my license and proof of vacination to get in today.  There are a lot of people wearing masks.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 12:41:54 AM »

Jim Neff is here and we are having a blast.  We even threw some tops together.  I brought 75 tops to give away (this is the 75th IJA fest) and also brought some 29 more in honor of the years I have been throwing tops.  I gave Mr. Neff first dibs on the bag and he found some he did not have.  I am busy giving the rest away.  I am not taking any home!!!  Mark Hayward is here with his girlfriend.  Still no sign of the Columbus crew of Lynn and Owen.  One of the sales tables has a bunch of Trompo Space tops for sale.  How about that?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:12:41 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 12:54:31 AM »

We went to eat at a place called Cliff’s dive bar and grill.  It was not a dive……but they did have three white rats rotating around on sticks!!!  Our food was good and we had nice service.  The most significant part of the meal, though, was our group.  We had a juggling group leader from Ohio, a champion ball spinner, a juggling historian, the leader of the group from Buffalo, the event organizer for the big Atlanta fest, the event organizer for the Austin juggling convention, a well known juggler from Oregon and little old me and our Miamisburg fest.  We heard lots of good stories!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 08:09:31 AM »

Sounds like a great time, Mike!  Don't forget to take some photos to share with us.  Keep an eye out for Mike, my juggling buddy from Rochester, and say hi for me if you see him.  Have fun!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »

I brought 75 tops to give away (this is the 75th IJA fest) and also brought some 29 more in honor of the years I have been throwing tops.
So, you have been throwing tops for 75 + 29 = 104 years?  :o ;D

Have lots of fun!