iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Future Japanese champion  (Read 6060 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Future Japanese champion
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »

This kid doing freestyle with a traditional koma top (straight tip) is impressive (we may have seen this video before, I am not sure):

This kid is also good:

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Future Japanese champion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »

Impressive!  I need to figure out how to throw these things properly, whenever I try, they seem to land on their side.
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »

Wow!  They are most certainly ready to freestyle.....if only we could get them to the world championships.  Wonder who taught them?  It seems that whoever taught them could probably freestyle, also.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »

Cool clips, ta0 thanks for posting.  So cool to see tiny kids do big tricks.

Impressive!  I need to figure out how to throw these things properly, whenever I try, they seem to land on their side.
I throw it tip-down side-arm, like skipping a rock, except with palm up.  Same as the P213 Boomerang, actually.

ROTA 66

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »

Fantastics pictures, Jorge. I knew that freestyle were possible with traditionnal japanese koma with straight tip. I have seen before pictures like that in the Web. I have three traditionnal komas, which I bought in www.japanauctioncenter.com (in japanese and english). I practised with it during some weeks and I was surprised because I could see that it were possible to make tricks like boomerang, wirewalker, etc. It is a question of practice and knowledge in fact. I think that there are a lot of japan kids and adults playing freestyle with japanese tops, but we donĀ“t know them. It is an interesting question to discover and follow.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »

The best Japanese website I know for tricks like ours using komas is the one by "Yuuya": Komaspace in both Japanese and English. Unfortunately, the embedded player for the videos is outdated and I cannot get them to play directly (in IE you may not even realize they are there) and I have to download each video individually first. But if you haven't yet, you need to watch this demo by him:

I have exchanged a few emails with Yuuya. He told me that he paid somebody to have the website translated to English. I asked him about the popularity of the tricks he does and he answered that very few in Japan do them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:25:36 AM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »

So... he did Bondage and Tangler with a koma (!!!).  Is it safe to assume he's studied western players?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »

Yes, he has taken tricks from us (the site in Japanese said something like that about corkscrew). Of course, most of the tricks are traditional Japanese.

Yuuya doesn't actually do the full T3 with the komas. But this guy does, and it is amazing:

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »

What?  How in the heck does he throw two tops at the same time..........and do it well!!!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »

Wow!!!!   I have a bunch of coma's and never thought of trying tricks with them.  These kids are great.   :D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

now that is what i call talent. it amazes me that kids can pick up skills like tops and yo-yos with ease. i wish more kids would pick up tops. 'tis a shame.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:30:03 AM »

Here's another nice video of some koma work.  @ 1:40 there's a nice pencil/pen catch that could complement 'pencil sharpener' and the pen tip spin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OatIaiP5CmY&feature=related

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »

Thats really impressive, very nice videos

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »

Some of you know how to get some of those "komas"? I would like to try with them some day...