iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I do the "quote" in a message?  (Read 755 times)

Bill Wells

How do I do the "quote" in a message?
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »

Yes I read the topic in Help section.
But I still don't know how to select a sentence from a previous post and include it nicely into into my reply.

I am a newbie and otherwise coming along well in understanding this excellent site.

Thanks much
Bill
It's not worth doing if you're not obsessed about it.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: How do I do the "quote" in a message?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 10:08:35 PM »

But I still don't know how to select a sentence from a previous post and include it nicely into into my reply.

Two ways:
1. Find the message you'd like to quote, and click the "Quote" link at upper right. That will open a new message text box with the entire message quoted at the top between quote tags. Edit out what you want and add your own comment below.

2. While your message is still open, you can add a quote from any other message in the same thread. Just scroll down to it and click "Insert Quote" at upper right.

Final tip: You can also use the "Quote" link to see how messages you'd like to emulate are constructed. The full BBC code behind the message of interest will appear between the quote tags.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:11:37 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »

Of course it is correct what Jeremy is saying.
But I think there is room for improvement how it is done. Well, maybe we can't change how the forum software is working here, but I think I postet in other forums where it was easier to quote just what you want to quote : you mark/highlight the section you want to quote, and then you hit the "quote" button. Only the highlighted section gets inserted in your post. That saves a lot of editing and deleting and makes it easier especially if you use a phone.  But I have not much hope that we will see improvements on the forum software around here. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 05:53:13 PM »

You can always quote informally this way:

From orwtin:
PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!

where you write "From X:", cut and paste the sentence, select it and use the quotation button above the text editing area to enclose it between the quotation brackets:

Code: [Select]
From X:
[quote]PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG![/quote]

I just looked into available enhancement packages and did not see one for quotations that is compatible with the current version of the software. I doubt I will have time to look in more depth.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »

So the code tag effectively comments out BBS code. Who knew?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:04:55 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 09:39:45 PM »

Of course it is correct what Jeremy is saying.
But I think there is room for improvement how it is done. Well, maybe we can't change how the forum software is working here, but I think I postet in other forums where it was easier to quote just what you want to quote : you mark/highlight the section you want to quote, and then you hit the "quote" button. Only the highlighted section gets inserted in your post. That saves a lot of editing and deleting and makes it easier especially if you use a phone.  But I have not much hope that we will see improvements on the forum software around here. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!

Hmmm.  I don’t quote at all.  This is the first time I am using it.  Interesting.

Maybe this will be the last time I use it?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Bill Wells

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »

Find the message you'd like to quote, and click the "Quote" link at upper right. That will open a new message text box with the entire message quoted at the top between quote tags. Edit out what you want and add your own comment below.
This works for me. Thank you Jeremy