iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hollow All American Boy Top  (Read 3825 times)

MatiasStuntMan

Hollow All American Boy Top
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »

I got one of the solid hardwood All American Boy tops, and the first trow out of the box it almost kill me or at least it could have plug an eye out, thank god the top hit the ceiling first. The sintetic string is a MENACE!!! If you get one of this please throw the string to the garbage inmediatelly!!!!! If this is the top and string that kids can easily get; no wonder why kids don't play with tops now days. The plywood button is nice. After using a proper cotton string, it spun very nice on the floor but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make it boomerang. So... time to make one modd..or two. Using a 1" wood drill bit I made a hole on the top almost 3/4 to the bottom. Then holding it with a 1/4" screw and nuts tru the tip hole, using the drill as a lathe and using a round bit with my dremmel I hollowed out the walls . The original bit didn't fit because of the holding screw so I had to make a new one (not very good looking but it works), I carved and grind it out from a screwdriver. I also made a grove to put a ring of solder that I welded later . Now we are talking!!!... it boomerangs beautifully and effortlessly, is a very light top but I love it!!! probably will teach it how to snap start someday.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Hollow All American Boy Top
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »

It looks great! That's almost like starting from scratch! I see a lathe on your future . . .

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »

Looks like the Channel Craft top comes in a new box.  I hate those strings too but I sometimes save them as loners when the kids lose theirs.....since they also think they suck  :o they don't lose their strings as often  ;D  How random, Channel Craft just sent me their new catalog in the mail today  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »

Man, you don't mess around!  I admire an Aggressive modder, good work!

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

Great mod,impressive use of tools, I love the spinning picture. Keep it up
Spinning In Mind

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »

You should put the spintastic C tip in. More tricks.