iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bringing wooden tops to dry climates  (Read 3077 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Bringing wooden tops to dry climates
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »

As much as I enjoyed my time in Marines and Paris, I was happy to return to my ultra-dry Denver climate. (On average, Denver has the second driest air of any major US city.)

Unfortunately, two of the 4 wooden tops I brought home from Marines were less enthused about the change in atmosphere...

Thankfully, the crack in the lime-accented ripcord top doesn't affect balance or play. The debris field of spalled lacquer surrounding the black and red ripcord top is just as I found it. All of this happened after I got home.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:14:18 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
Re: Bringing wooden tops to dry climates
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 02:28:48 AM »

You have been not very lucky.
But I am curious;  do you have an idea what kind of wood was used in these tops ?
Did you experience the same with other wooden objects ?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:11 AM »

You have been not very lucky. But I am curious;  do you have an idea what kind of wood was used in these tops ? Did you experience the same with other wooden objects ?

Wood types unknown, but upper top looks to be of a high-quality hardwood, while lower top was very cheap.

Yes, I've had other wooden objects crack from dessication here but can't think of specific examples right now. Luckily, my piano's soundboard, brought from much more humid San Francisco, did not.

For the 1st 6 months after moving here, my wife and I were sure that our noses were going to crack and just fall off on their own.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:14:53 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »

Good humor, Jeremy, about your nose.  So sorry that your tops splitting was not a joke.  I had no idea that would happen.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »

Sorry!

You are welcome in Spain (I guess no so dry)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »

Wow!  Looks like they suffered from a version of the bends.  I wonder if there had been a way to slow down the drying process, maybe that would help.  One of the reasons guitars and stringed instruments are in cases is not just to save them from scratches and such, but to slow down the temperature and humidity changes.  Some cases even have humidifiers installed.  A re-purposed violin case could make a cool top case.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »

You are welcome in Spain (I guess no so dry)

Good to see your tops survived the transition from Marines, Pepe. At least mine still play.

Spain's been one of our favorite places since our long trip there last summer. Now there's another reason.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »

Wow!  Looks like they suffered from a version of the bends.  I wonder if there had been a way to slow down the drying process, maybe that would help.  One of the reasons guitars and stringed instruments are in cases is not just to save them from scratches and such, but to slow down the temperature and humidity changes.  Some cases even have humidifiers installed.  A re-purposed violin case could make a cool top case.

Promising approach, Renee. Less bulky travel version...

1. Bring wooden top home in sealed plastic bag.
2. Poke some pin holes in bag to start slow drying.
3. Add more holes over several weeks.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »

When turning a bowl from a fresh cut tree (green/wet wood) the bowl is turned to a rough, thick shape and put in a brown paper grocery bag (sometimes with some of the fresh shavings) and stored for 6 months to a year. The wood dries slowly and does not crack, there may be some warping but no cracks. Since it was turned thick it can now be turned to final thickness and any more drying will not crack or warp. Not sure if this will work for finished wood taken to a dry climate but it may be worth a try.
Practice hard and play safe.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 01:37:25 PM »

When turning a bowl from a fresh cut tree (green/wet wood) the bowl is turned to a rough, thick shape and put in a brown paper grocery bag (sometimes with some of the fresh shavings) and stored for 6 months to a year. The wood dries slowly and does not crack... Not sure if this will work for finished wood taken to a dry climate but it may be worth a try.

Thanks for the insights! Will definitely try a paper bag when this comes up again -- maybe as soon as this summer.

The hard part: Waiting that long to open the bag.

Very hard for me to know what finishes might have been applied to a purchased wooden top, but maybe best to steer clear of finishes as brittle as the lacquer (?) on the red and black victim.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:18:17 PM by Jeremy McCreary »