iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cincinnati Circus 2/15-17 and Brian Koenig  (Read 2871 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Cincinnati Circus 2/15-17 and Brian Koenig
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »

A juggling show was presented at our local Dayton Mall.  Brian Koenig did a fine job with his skills and interacting with the children.  I talked with him afterwards and he told me about the Cincinnati Circus and their warehouse/gym training facility.  He also told me about a juggling festival they are having this weekend.  Mark Hayward will be there.  He also mentioned LynnSpin and Owen.  Sounds like a good time.  To top it all off, I pulled out my short circuit and he gave it a spin.  "Mark has been teaching me" he said!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Cincinnati Circus 2/15-17 and Brian Koenig
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »

That sounds great!
But you should have found out about the juggling festival from Mark!
By the way, when you see him, mention that a photo of his was second on the annual photo contest: I don't think he knows that he competed  >:D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »

Well, I made it here.  They have part of an old factory and have done a good job of converting the space for circus art activities.  They even have a solid 8x12 stage.  There will be a renegade show tonight and tomorrow a more official show.  Mark is not here yet but the word on the street is that he might be here tonight.  SpinLynn and Owen are expected to arrive tomorrow from Columbus.  The event is only an hour old and there are already two dozen people here.  I met a Joe Showers and he recognized my RIT t-shirt as he grew up in Rochester.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:03:16 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:38:35 AM »

Sounds like a great venue and some top action.

I wonder if SpinLynn and Owen are planning to drive their RVs south again, for the Texas jugglefest in Austin next weekend.
I'll be in there with my tops at least on Saturday.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 01:14:02 AM »

Rats!!!  I had a pretty good little report on the evening and then I went and lost it.  Anyways, here I go again.

Mark did show up with one big smile and two ripsticks.  He showed off his skateboard skills on the boarded floor under the place where they practice the trapeze.  He also pulled out his Jose Madrigal 3D top and proceeded to go through a nice run of left handed regeneration tricks.  I asked him if he was going to compete at worlds in Cleveland and he said he hadn't really thought about it.

Brian Koenig really does seem to like top spinning.  I handed him my short circuit and he threw a perfect boomerang on the first attempt.  I was impressed so I told him to keep that top and I would bring some other tops on Saturday.  There just might be some other tops in the garage.

I pulled out my monobolo and went through a few routines.  I noticed that not once did I get a knot in my string. 

They were getting ready to do their renegade stage when I left.  I wanted to drive home at nine and listen to the Wright State University men's basketball team play for the league lead.  It was fun to hear the game and imagine the crowd going crazy as they pulled out a close win.  My oldest son was in their pep band for years and also was the student director for a couple of those seasons.  We have been following WSU for quite a while and he was at that game.

Everything starts again at 11am tomorrow.  I will pick up a friend and try to stay until dinner time but that 11pm closing time just may be a little too late for this old man.   

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:26:49 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 06:18:32 PM »

The place closed down for an hour to prepare for the show.  We are in a Chipotle line and catching up on how the day went.  Sadly, no Lynn or Owen.  Interestingly enough, Owen's son was there all day juggling clubs like crazy and also passing on his six foot unicycle.  Four people are here from Canada and the Toronto area.  One guy was working on spinning a Don Olney top and I told him about Jack being in his area.  I brought a bag of gifts for the raffle and giveaways from Don's collection.  They seemed happy to get them.  The place was pretty busy all afternoon and we had to work to find places to pass.  There are also some people here from Detroit.  It is a fest with a surprising amount of skill and diversity.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:12:16 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »

By the way, Mark was pretty excited about getting second in the photo contest.  He is quite the busy guy as he can be found everywhere in the building.  I was lucky to find him free for a few minutes.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »

By the way, Mark was pretty excited about getting second in the photo contest.  He is quite the busy guy as he can be found everywhere in the building.  I was lucky to find him free for a few minutes.
Did he know he had entered the photo contest? That photo was actually a screen capture of a video he posted, on Facebook I think  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »

Yes, he recognized the picture from the video.  No, he did not realize he entered the contest.  He reached into his pocket and located the video pretty quickly.  He showed it to me and I was quite impressed.  He is thankful for the interest in his image and the award.

The Cincinnati Circus worked hard to put on a nice juggling show last night......with a great looking stage and a beautiful curtain and good sound.  Sadly, not all the chairs were full for the event.  The crowd that was there was very enthusiastic, though.  Mark did his killer noodle routine with his yoyo.  He is so funny.  The surprise of the evening was when the MC (the previously mentioned Joe Showers) brought out a top in between acts and proceeded to do a few tricks ending with a solid corkscrew.

On the way out I made some good connections with flow art people in Dayton and a juggler from Bethel, Ohio who has an adult child and friends in Miamisburg who want to juggle.  I sure hope some of these contacts work out.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:02:18 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »

I've seen Joe Showers at juggle fests before and he's always a great show.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »

I am back here one year later.  The crowd seems thinner.  I do not recognize any top spinners.  Sadly, no Mark Hayward.  Brian Koenig was here for a bit but he was not feeling well so he headed on home.  I will hang out for a while but I am pretty sure it will not be a late night for me.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »

No Owen or Lynn.  Rats.  But Owen’s son Evan is here.  He is great with the unicycle and did some nice tricks in the show.  I thought about doing some spin top stuff in the show but chickened out.  It looked like a bit of a downer event for me until I talked with Merry Spahn and Scott Cain and they started a conversation about Jim Neff.  Hey, I know Jim Neff!  They seemed surprised.  Merry said she would come to the Miamisburg fest just to see Jim Neff!!!