iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The new Sundia monobolo tip  (Read 7313 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
The new Sundia monobolo tip
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »

I had been planning to make a new bigger tip for my Sundia monobolo, but today the green one arrived (it will go to Salvador, together with a UFO Yo-Yo), wow!!:

Do they read this board?  ;) Now, that is a much better tip for spintop tricks!

My marble Sundia came with the one-way bearing set for counter-clockwise rotation but this one came set in the opposite direction. It is not very easy to open, but wrapping the axle with string to grab it I could unscrew the cup and flip the center part. To screw it back I did the same . . . and then I realized: how on Earth I was going to take it appart now if the screw will go against the non-resistance direction of the bearing? After experimenting with the marble one I found that by pressing the cup I could just lock it enough. Anyway, I wish it was easier to disassemble (as the UFO Yo-Yo seems to be). But otherwise it is a great monobolo.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: The new Sundia monobolo tip
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »

The new tip makes possible most of the bearing tricks. Here I am doing the corkscrew to gyroscopic flop a week ago at Jugglefest:

By the way, this is one of the tricks on the III collaborative video. This one would count as a trick done with an unusual top. I will be starting to edit the video the first week of April so you need to record something now! It should be a great video with many of the international stars of top spinning, so you want to be in it! Also, it may be the last of this series. Players of any level can participate. More info on this post.

To send me the videos there are many options like uploading to youtube (I suggest with a password so it remains a surprise  ;) )

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:28:36 PM by ta0 »

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »

Woah, nice vid ta0!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »

Yah ta0, thanks for posting!  You're making it harder for me to not order one of those.  :D

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »

hi, ta0....those toys play so well!!!!!!!!
thanks a million!!

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »

The new new sundia tip is stonger (right) but Im afraid not as compatible as the previous monobolo tip (left).

The new one works as a spintop with one way bearings for right handed players, and the old for left handed, I would love to change the bearing way but I dont know how to dismantle it...

Also I´ve noticed that my monobolos doest last half as the one on Tha0´s video...

Any advide for the bearing direction or the spinning duration?

Thanks!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »

It is relatively easy to change.  Just loosen the stem and turn the bearing assembly (where the string runs) the other direction and put it back together.  Jim Neff is more of an expert with these babies than I am.

Hmmmm, about that tip on the right.  It sure looks weird.  I am not familiar with it.  I will take a look at it some day.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »

There is no way to dissasemble the tip, it looks like its glued...  >:(

I just can taka away the top part, the blue semisphere  :( :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:41:12 AM by Pepe »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

In the past there has been a post/screw/nut in the semisphere.  When it was unscrewed the assembly could come apart.  Sorry if you cannot do that anymore!

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »

Sorry I can't add much. I've never owned a Sundia. But I have helped others change the direction of the bearing. If I remember correctly it was a simple procedure as The Earl described. If that doesn't work then your cooked. For some reason the Sundia bearings spin the opposite  direction of the Chinese monobolos.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 07:08:53 AM »

The spinning direction of the monobolo bearing is random, the is no colour to distinguish (the Diabolos are marked).

I have two sundia, the one with the new tip spins correctly but the old one with the cool tip for tricks had the bearing upsidedown!!

It has a spider washer pressed into the plastic cone...  :'(

May be a diablo freak know how to do this...

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »

I never played with a monobolo... It sounds fun... Any tip on what to get ?

I played a bit with my dauther diabolo but didn't get hooked... it's too much of a yoyo to my taste =)
Spinning is life!!!!

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 04:39:57 AM »

The diabolo is so much fun! Also yo-yo but totally different.

The monobolo is more like playing horizontal diábolo...

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »

The diabolo is so much fun! Also yo-yo but totally different.

The monobolo is more like playing horizontal diábolo...

I'll be honest, It didn't hook me up like tops... The other thing tho is that it's harder to play inside ( due to normal celing condition ) Will
try back outside next summer for sure!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »

- So this was bothering me and I had to check into it.  I figured this must come apart in order to replace the bearing when it wears out.
- I have a triple bearing and a fixed axle version of this monobolo. I took apart the triple bearing and put it together again with no problems. 3/8" nut driver (I expected metric!) worked fine. righty tighty / lefty loosey orientation. The tip does not need to come apart. Everything else came apart easily and I took pics of all the parts. All you need to do is turn the section with the bearing upside down to make it turn the opposite direction. The only issue is that the washer will not fit on the bottom end of the shaft. If you change the orientation then the bearings will be unprotected by the washer as it would remain in place at the top of the shaft. If you do this you may need to change the bearing more frequently.

Put it all back together in reverse order.
- When spinning the monobolo with the point toward the ground (and holding the silver bearing section) mine will spin freely clockwise. It locks when spin is attempted in a counterclockwise direction.
- I believe if you reassemble with the piece shown in the bottom pic with the bearing toward the tip you will reverse the direction of the one way bearing.
- good luck!