iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Expected spin times ???  (Read 4472 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Expected spin times ???
« on: December 20, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »

Hey y'alls.

My S8 Guilia bearings are getting quite rattely but they do not lock at all... I just timed a throw from a boomerang, 2 min 15 sec. Is that what should be expected from the Guilia ? ( I get that same 2:15 from my bearing QSH )

So simple question, how long does your Guilia spin for ?
Thanks
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Expected spin times ???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »

salut pax !

as you see this topic looks a little subdued  ;)
I mean , it involves so many things !

I have clocked my giulia at 3'40,the osage-orange version made by Eric Wolf at 4.00

that does mean more than figures

jorge could post the old decay chart with BK and Gates

good day spinning
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:32:09 AM »

salut pax !

as you see this topic looks a little subdued  ;)
I mean , it involves so many things !

I have clocked my giulia at 3'40,the osage-orange version made by Eric Wolf at 4.00

that does mean more than figures

jorge could post the old decay chart with BK and Gates

good day spinning
jim

The question is now, does that mean my bearing are dirty / broken ?! b/c there is a lot of difference between 2'15 & 3'40!!!

Cheers,
paxl

ps: I never was clear on how to clean a bearing... does that mean dropping it into acetone or there is a real bearing cleaner I can use ?

vegabomb

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »

To clean a bearing I use mineral spirits.

You can deshield the bearing by removing the c-clips that hold the shields in on either side of the bearing. Use a needle and run it around the inside edge of the bearing until it catches on the end of the c-clip. Remember that the clips are angled at each end, one end angles toward and one away from the edge. If the needle doesn’t get the clip out going one direction try running it in the opposite direction.

Then drop it in the cleaning solution. I leave it in for a few minutes swirling it around a few times. Remove it from the solution and put it on the end of a chopstick or something similar. Use compressed air to blow all the cleaning solution out of it.

You can then apply lubricant to the bearing if you like. Use a thin lubricant, I’ve heard of people using sewing machine oil and trumpet oil. You can get thin lube for yoyo bearings at any of the yoyo sites and that works great. Lubricant will make the bearing a little quieter and can prolong its life. The downside is the lube causes a bit of friction and slightly slows down the spin which will decrease spin time. I don’t use lube on my bearings.

Put the shields back on and replace the c-clips. All set.

Hope that makes sense. There are videos explaining how to do it if my directions are too difficult to understand. Let me know if you can’t find one.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:30:23 PM by vegabomb »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:54:52 PM »

That's a pretty clear explanation...

I just need mineral spirit & thin lube... I only have acetone around the house. I have tried some times to clean out bearing with it but
it always failed sadly :(

Will try to hit the hardware store and hope to not destroy them :P
Cheers,
paxl

vegabomb

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »

Also, the bearings in the Giulia are 5x10x4 bearings. In yoyo terminology they are size A. If you are near a hobby shop they are a pretty standard size and likely available there. If not amazon.com has plenty as well. You can buy new ones for around $1.00 each usually if you buy a dozen or so.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »

Also, the bearings in the Giulia are 5x10x4 bearings. In yoyo terminology they are size A. If you are near a hobby shop they are a pretty standard size and likely available there. If not amazon.com has plenty as well. You can buy new ones for around $1.00 each usually if you buy a dozen or so.

But question then, are S8 bearing above average or they are just like any others ?

vegabomb

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »

But question then, are S8 bearing above average or they are just like any others ?

I’m not sure what the ratings are with the bearings they use. In my short top expierience though it seems that the top hitting the floor really affects the bearings. They get noisy pretty fast after a couple missed catches. Much more than ever happens with a yo-yo bearing. I bought a bunch of size A in the price range I said and just switch them out if they get “crunchy”.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »

Well no idea what will give but at 1$ a pop why not try it out. so I bough some random bearing from amazon! Will try swapping my guilia when they arrive...

Cheers,
paxl

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »

So, new bearing arrived, tried them without cleaning them and boy these had friction!!! Tried last night opening them to no avail, they don't seem to have a c clip... This morning with a punch and a hammer I was able to open 2 and destroyed 2 others. After cleaning them throughfully... Wow the old ones were done!!!

That said, now I have 6 remaining shielded bearing to desheild... They are these ones

10pcs Ball Bearing 5x10x4mm For 1/10 RC Car Parts Toys Buggy Monster Truck Fit Redcat HSP Traxxas etc https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019E4FL3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6-JkCbHD938BK

They look on the pick to have a c clip but I can't find it! Any tips

Paxl

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

My suggestion would be to try to clean them without deshielding them.  The picture does make it look like they have a c clip holding the shield in.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

My suggestion would be to try to clean them without deshielding them.  The picture does make it look like they have a c clip holding the shield in.

Belive me, there is enough grease in there to survive the appocalipse at least two times!!! 😎

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »

Believe me, there is enough grease in there to survive the apocalypse at least two times!!! 😎
Ha Ha, I'd personally try to let one of them soak overnight in acetone or lighter fluid to see if that helps at all.  If that doesn't work then prying off the shields and hopefully not destroying them is the next option.  Very strange that there isn't a c clip.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 07:18:49 PM »

Well there might be one, I'll try working them with a smaller pin and see what happen...
Will try letting one of them sitting on mineral spiritual overnight

Will see what happen
Paxl

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »

The mineral spirit soak is the way to go.  That will do the job!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up