iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Evening with RGB  (Read 4426 times)

Softspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Evening with RGB
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »

Marck (fastvolks ) with Jmadrigals light up top comments by myself.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:08:02 PM by Softspin »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Evening with RGB
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 06:55:00 PM »

I might be a bit biased, but that is a fantastic looking top ;D
Looks like he has solid command of it. Thanks for sharing the video.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

Yes it’s beautiful. But I would like to see the basic tricks. And how about a long escalator?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »

It looks very cool!  8) 8) 8)

I should have got one to take to China. Arrg!

Thanks for sharing the video.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »

Love the top!  I may need one of those, sooner rather than later.  I'm thinking Jose may have some available in Miamisburg in three weeks.  If so, I see one following me home....   ;D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 03:23:27 AM »

Nice video of a very cool top in action!

Would it be possible to play such a top in complete darkness?

I ask because the visual effects I get from my glowing blacklight finger tops are much more striking when the tops appear to move through black empty space.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »

Yes it’s beautiful. But I would like to see the basic tricks. And how about a long escalator?
I can't do basic tricks with this top, only advanced. >:D
Love the top!  I may need one of those, sooner rather than later.  I'm thinking Jose may have some available in Miamisburg in three weeks.  If so, I see one following me home....   ;D
I only have a limited supply since right now I am not in production of new tops. If I don't sell out, I will have one available in Miamisburg. I should have shirts and the non light up versions for sure. I will be making a new batch after summer.
Nice video of a very cool top in action!

I ask because the visual effects I get from my glowing blacklight finger tops are much more striking when the tops appear to move through black empty space.
It is very visable and playable in the dark. Tricks that swing the top in a repeated fassion look great, like repaeated suns. Doing technical stuff in the dark isn't as impresive since all you see is a floating top. Glow in the dark string would be nice.

Softspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »

The non light up is super sweet also... That's the one I use if you see my Qsh hybrids you will know why I keep my RGB in the case for now . Marck and I started doing tops a lot 18 months ago and he has blown by me , Dazzling Dave was a great help and we still get togeather...Marck and Dave make tops on a regular lathe at this time Marck is making a 4" white delrin top .. I gave him my regular orange 3D but am getting new one.. We will video new top when completed

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »

I made a light up top a while ago.  (The battery holder did not survive the Nth drop)   Playing in total darkness is tough because you can not see the string.  The next iteration will have a UV LED to make a white or florescent string glow.  Stretch goal is to have an accelerometer to change colors based on top speed.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »

I made a light up top a while ago.  (The battery holder did not survive the Nth drop)   Playing in total darkness is tough because you can not see the string.  The next iteration will have a UV LED to make a white or florescent string glow.  Stretch goal is to have an accelerometer to change colors based on top speed.
Kirk,
What type of battery did you use?
I use a CR2032 battery. These batteries are about 225mah batteries. I use a standard slide in holder and it seems to work fine. I pull about 18mA when all the LEDs are on. Theoretically the board should get about 10 hours continuous run time on a battery, but most likely longer. I use a pic 18 series processor and a triple access accelerometer on this board. On the prototype I wrote the code to light up a certain color depending on the speed of the top. It works great on the initial throw when you can see it go through the colors as it slows down. It was less interesting when you started playing with it, as it would randomly change colors while regenerating. I found this not fun. I settled on tow modes of operation. One mode uses the accelerometer and cycles through a bunch of colors while the top is in motion. When the top stops it will stay the current color until motion is sensed again. This mode is fun.
The other mode simply rotates through the color wheel as I blend through all the colors I can make. This mode is like a lava lamp and is fun to watch it fade though different colors.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »

Assuming that the string visibilty issue can be resolved, does anyone see the potential to develop tricks specifically designed to take max advantage of playing Jose's top in the dark from a visual effects perspective?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »

Playing in total darkness is tough because you can not see the string.  The next iteration will have a UV LED to make a white or florescent string glow.  Stretch goal is to have an accelerometer to change colors based on top speed.

Can't wait to see it! Phosphorescent string might work as well if such a thing exists. Dog ball example...

My dog could play with her Chuck-It Max Glow ball for hours. Pump it up with a cheap LED blacklight flashlight ($12 from Amazon) for 30 sec, and it'll stay workably bright for 10+ minutes.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »

Glow in the dark string would be nice.

Trompos Space makes glow in the dark string.  It's available in yellow or orange from YoYoSam.
https://www.yoyosam.com/products/trompos-space-glow-in-the-dark-universal-replacement-spin-top-string

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »

Marck (fastvolks ) with Jmadrigals light up top comments by myself.

I must have missed it....what do the initials RGB stand for?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:23:43 PM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 11:16:43 PM »

RGB = Red,Green, Blue
These tops use RGB LEDs to make all the colors through mixing. I PWM (pulse width modulate) each color to blend and and make new colors using red , green and blue. Same as LED monitors.