iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: String thickness vs String Lenght  (Read 1970 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
String thickness vs String Lenght
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »

Hi y'alls,

So I've been trying to understand a little bit the relation of the center of mass of the top & string lenght / string width. So far what I realise is that like Neff said, the only important thing is up to where you wind the top on the top in relation with the center of mass. If you do 20 turn to get there or 100 turn as long as you are able to throw it it will end up on it's tip BUT. The more turn you have the more velocity the top will have ( right? ). Thus favoring longer string lenght to shorter one ( up to 64''... ) The other detail is the the shorter the string, the less amoutn of time you have to pull and the window do to a boomerang is shorter.

Now what I have realised is that with small & hollowed tops, it's easy to boomerang a top from a 60'' string, when It comes to a heavier wooden top, I must say I have far more success boomeranging with a 40'' string ( gauge 15 ) vs a 60'' string ( gauge 12 )... =)

So long story short, yes I am too oriented to detail... But ... What is the best :) Right now with my shortcircuit yyf, I just did a 42 thread string that put it's lenght to between 60-64''. The 45 thread one was at 54-56 and felt a bit short... Am I being too detail oriented :)

paxl

ps: before anyone ask, yes I am able to 100% boomerang my shortcircuit ( I can't tell the same for the wooden tops I own tho :) )
Spinning is life!!!!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: String thickness vs String Lenght
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

So, well I'll just fix the string length to 64'' and forget about it. Depending where in space I throw the boomerang, I"m able to boomerang both the ShortCircuit & the Elec-Tricks...

I almost have my 8 trick badge. I can't understand yet how to do a Merry go round to hand... But I'll get that soonly :) Bearing top does help! :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »

The more turn you have the more velocity the top will have ( right? ). Thus favoring longer string lenght to shorter one ( up to 64''... )
This is what most people say. But I don't see why that would be the case, except if you change the string thickness. I would think the final spin is given by the strength of the throw (obviously) and the thickness of the string: the thinner the string is, the highest the exit spin (as the top has to spin faster for a given forward velocity of the top).
IF the string is kept the ideal length, a longer string should be thinner and the final spin will be proportional to the length, so in an indirect way it's true.

Anyway, I have never measured this, so it's what I expect theoretically, but it should be tested. I have heard many people claim that using a longer string gives you more rotational speed. It could be due to the BK effect: a string that it's too short forces you to throw soft to avoid the wrap from collapsing.

By the way, I proposed the "wrap height" theory in the early 2000's on the old Button-n-String and Topspinning forums and has withstood the passage of time  :)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »

In the case of the ShortCircuit & ElecTrick, 14 coton thread per ply seem absolutly amazing. I've been able to boomerang both ( with slightly different tech but still quite easy to achive ).

I'll need to test more with heavier top but I think I'll concentrate myself on getting to RC to hand & RC to string before changing more variables... ( I'll need to learn all the rest too ) :)

Thanks y'alls!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »

now watch as i throw a wrench in the gears by saying i use a 52'' string for BKs @-@
and my current preferred length for ever other Top is......93 1/2''   @-@

long story short the right length is the length that works for you  ;)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:15:08 AM »

yep... quite right Jack.

After another hour of playing last night, I successfully can successfully boomerang my YYF tops. :)

Tops are amazing!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »

now watch as i throw a wrench in the gears by saying i use a 52'' string for BKs @-@
and my current preferred length for ever other Top is......93 1/2''   @-@

long story short the right length is the length that works for you  ;)

I forget what I have my BK strings set to, but it works and that's all that matters. I know the stock string for me was too short. I do completely agree with "whatever works for you is right". I cut my strings to 84 inches and then adjust from there. From the knot that keeps the button from flying off, I make a mark every 4 inches around the string with a Sharpie so I can get a bit more control when adjusting length. I use a taught line hitch for adjusting string length. Sometimes I need it a touch longer, sometimes shorter. I can just slip and slide as I need it. The only bad side is that sometimes the loop can get in the way. Since it's not nice and open, I can't use it for lasso and whip tricks.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »

All sound and good ideas!

At the moment my YYF string is rougly 62'' from the slipknot to the end of the string and I am able to do antying I want. I also started to understand the dismount from the wirewalker ( & crazy 8 too )... So satisfying.

For now tho, I'll just keep the string at the same lenght and alter my throw... the only bad part is that it doesnt come back perfectly leveled but nothing that not really hard to ballence out. I just want to keep as many variable fixed as possible!

BTW, thanks y'alls, very valuable inputs!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: String thickness vs String Length
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »

I have heard many people claim that using a longer string gives you more rotational speed. It could be due to the BK effect: a string that it's too short forces you to throw soft to avoid the wrap from collapsing.
OH!  I need to test a thinner, longer string on my 3d printed top(s) and a fatter string.