iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions  (Read 95617 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Re: Progress log from paxl and randoms questions
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Yeah, I basically Contacted dale at Spintastic, I'll get a Trompo Fixed too :) I should have contacted him first. I might have saved a few bucks anyway ...
Spinning is life!!!!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »

Yeah, I basically Contacted dale at Spintastic, I'll get a Trompo Fixed too :) I should have contacted him first. I might have saved a few bucks anyway ...

I can't say anything bad about the Trompo tops. I think I have 1 bearing and 2 fixed tips. I enjoy mine.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:25 AM »

I can't say anything bad about the Trompo tops. I think I have 1 bearing and 2 fixed tips. I enjoy mine.

i can..... they're too light @-@

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »

i can..... they're too light @-@

Jack, I'm still a newb :) And if I feel that way, I just can switch the fixed to the QSH and vice versa :) So that's all good!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

Well, koma's are amazing... Qsh is so so so heavy and scary!! And I need something to protect my flooring!!! I'd have though the QSH would have felt more ballenced and less scary!!

But yeah, do anyone has a trick list for koma? I can Boomerang trapeze and do a rollercoaster variation but I search something for other tricks!

Cheers and keep spinning!

SuperTaiyaki

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »

But yeah, do anyone has a trick list for koma? I can Boomerang trapeze and do a rollercoaster variation but I search something for other tricks!

The names are in Japanese, but try here: http://spingear.jp/koma/2016/09/25/list/

Also, this video is pretty handy.

Trying to whip off the ground (about 18:14) is fun!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »

The koma tutorial from the Nagoya museum team is very good. But I believe it was uploaded without permission, so it may disappear any time.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »

Haii y'alls.

Yesterday I took the time to adjust the string lenght for my QSH ( why don't spin top compagny adjust them... ) it came with a 72" string. With the way I throw it, I need more a 58" string. Anyway easy fix but need to take the time =) After that was the acclimation to the weight of this monster!!! this thing is HEAVY...!!! BUT. after 10-20 boomerang to hand without any issue and basically an infinite spin time I started to like it... First around the world / pole dance was ... amazing...  basically endless... Then tried a rollercoaster to hand... and MY LORD that weight help soo soo much ( I know on a bearing top it doesn't regenerate but I stopped ) at 6!!! I usually am able only to do 2 with my other bearing top :)...

Wow... Well that why it's worth 3-4x the prices of my other tops... I am very curious to receive my tropos but I think this weight would be very beneficial as a fixed tip top too!!!.

Also while playing with my koma I realised what was an orbit :) it's basically a endless rollercoaster.. or at least I was able to do it with the koma, and tried it with the QSH and.. .bam was able to do 2 orbits before well.. the top flied of the string :)

Anyway.
Tops are amazing, Keep spinning!
paxl

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2017, 07:36:44 AM »

Progress...

3 RC to string ...
3 Drumbeat ...

I'd get more RC to hand but I kind of have trouble managing the string!

Keep Spinning!!!
Cheers!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:23 PM »

Yesterday I took the time to adjust the string lenght for my QSH ( why don't spin top compagny adjust them... ) it came with a 72" string. With the way I throw it, I need more a 58" string.
Far better a string too long than too short. And lots of folks throw with longer strings (different timing and forces). Cecil will laugh at your 58". He often throws with 158" line. Jack throws a QSH with about 90" line.  When teaching small children I often shorten the line 6 to 10". Half the strings in my bag have slip knots for various reasons.  It will take a while but you will learn to throw with what ever string is in your hand at the moment.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

Yesterday I took the time to adjust the string lenght for my QSH ( why don't spin top compagny adjust them... ) it came with a 72" string. With the way I throw it, I need more a 58" string.
Far better a string too long than too short. And lots of folks throw with longer strings (different timing and forces). Cecil will laugh at your 58". He often throws with 158" line. Jack throws a QSH with about 90" line.  When teaching small children I often shorten the line 6 to 10". Half the strings in my bag have slip knots for various reasons.  It will take a while but you will learn to throw with what ever string is in your hand at the moment.

Cool. Still familiarising myself with the QSH... It's the top that have seen the most throw in my last 2-3 weeks. that top is fantastic. It leaves me craving for a Delrin top ... ( they are probably DEADLY smooth ) =) Anyway... I'm getting better. I can nail almost all the time corkscrew with 2 wrap.. 3 and more still eludes me... I am praticing funkier stuff on the 'trapeze' mount. Fun stuff... something clicked earlier on today...

I basically throw a trapeze but instead of landing it on the string, I land it in my palm... and the follow the precession why turning in round... lots of fun :) I land it basically between the pinky and the palm at that join :) Super satisfying and not too too complex to do too :)

Tops are fun =)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »

QSH tape... is it anything else than electrical tape ( not wide... ) mine is about to crack :) but yeah working a lot on the side mount... But that top is amazing!!! Now I want a strummol8 Love and Guila =)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

QSH tape... is it anything else than electrical tape ( not wide... ) mine is about to crack :) but yeah working a lot on the side mount... But that top is amazing!!! Now I want a strummol8 Love and Guila =)

I was using I think a 3/4" PVC tape. I would recommend a 1/2" PVC tape, it seems to fit better. I will check my QSHs later, as I retaped them not too long ago. I know that the 3/4" tape was just not holding on very well.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »

I like the 1/2" tape made by 3M. I've found it in red and blue.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »

QSH tape... is it anything else than electrical tape ( not wide... ) mine is about to crack :)
I was using I think a 3/4" PVC tape. I would recommend a 1/2" PVC tape, it seems to fit better. I will check my QSHs later, as I retaped them not too long ago. I know that the 3/4" tape was just not holding on very well.
The key to vinyl tape (electrical tape) is to NOT over stretch it. The less stretch is better. NO stretch is best.  As you unspool the tape, let it relax before putting it on the top.   Take your time where the tape rolls up onto the crown and down onto the top body.  Rub slowly working your way along to make the tape smooth.  2 Wraps.  Cut off so there is not a 3 layer portion.  Be sure to wrap  clockwise. That way the end will not catch. (unless you are a lefty)  Don't let you fingers touch the adhesive.
Yes the 1/2" tape is a bit easier but you can get a multi color pack of the 3/4" stuff.