iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 6484 times)

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Hurricane Irma
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »

Just as other members from Texas went through Harvey last week, in Puerto Rico we are starting to feel the stronger effects from Irma. The eastern coast and smaller islands are going or just went through the worst. Hunkered down with the family. No power since this morning. We're safe but others are not so lucky. Thankfully in San Juan we will only get category 1&2 winds and not 5 like other parts. Internet iin my phone is slow, can't upload videos. It's going to be a pain and many people will or have lost everything, nature is brutal and stunning at the same time.

Jatt

• ITSA Jr.
  • Spin Tops Hooked for life
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in these storms that have devastated so much. Good to hear you and your family are doing well.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 11:45:17 PM »

I was about to write to you, Juanma. I am glad that a least your family is ok, although life might be rough for a while as services are restored. Wishing you the best.

Barbuda was destroyed. Crossing fingers that the hurricane veers to the east of Florida.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »

Glad you are doing ok for the moment.  Sorry to hear of the destruction around you.  Hoping and praying for everyone concerned!!!

These storms are so weird!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »

Well it has passed. The eastern part of the island got it the worst, luckily it moved a little more to the North at the last minute and the rest of the island did not get the worst. Coastal areas were more affected. Some od the lesser antilles got devastated :-(
In the scope if things we were very lucky.
Thanks for all your wishes.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »

Love to hear a bit of good news in all of this!!!  Now if it can turn a bit more and miss Florida.

Thanks for the update!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »

Good News! Stay well.
Practice hard and play safe.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »

It's looking as if Irma may pass right over the apartment we lease in Florida.  It is almost in the geographical center of the peninsula.

Luckily we are here, now, not there....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »

Wow, mailman!!!  Glad you are safe.  Hope your apartment does well with all the wind and rain.

It is, indeed, a weird time as we wait for this storm to hit.  We have a number of Lutheran Churches in the area and we have been checking out their websites to see how they are doing.  Oddly enough, it looks as if we will be having worship services while our sister congregations are struggling with the weather.

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »

Well... It looks like wednesday , exactly two weeks after Irma we are going to have another Hurricane Cat 4 go right trough the middle of the island :(. Hoping it veers off at the last minute but the forecast doesn't look good. I have already been two weeks without power in my house. Kind of bummed out, but that's nature. House is safe, family will be ok.
Keep you posted, or not depending how it goes with all the communications infrastructure.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »

That's terrible. It seems some islands will get hammered by the full force of both! Stay safe!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »

Once again, we will be pulling for the storm to change course slightly to make things a tad easier for you!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Hurricane Maria
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »

The forecast for Puerto Rico's infrastructure looks bleak. Two weeks without power must already be tough, I don't want to think what will happen next. If we can help in any way, just tell us.

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »

Thanks to all for your wishes. All forecasts point for it to cross digonally thru the island, with sustained winds of 150mph! :o Bunkering down in a couple of hours, the worst will be from dawn till mid afternoon. Its going to be interesting to say the least. Maybe I'll try to learn a new trick ti keep mind occupied. Will write in a few days.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »

Good luck and best wishes to you, my friend!!!