iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Tutorial  (Read 10169 times)

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
Wheel of Fortune Tutorial
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »

I post here a request for those Gopro Guys,
Because I can't get it, even after few advices from Kone?ny Bro' and Damien, I would be happy to have a tutorial/demo/slowmo of the "Around the world" or "Wheel of fortune", whitch consist of continuous suns.
Also, I'd like to start learning whips, if anyone as a trick to start with that...?

Read/watch you soon!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:05:25 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: [Video Request] Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

I changed your title to Wheel of Fortune. They are also known as regenerating suns or "bastones" [batons] in Spanish.
Around the World is what we call a single sun, although in Mexico they use that name for an orbit over the head (the first part of Texas Cowboy).
It is perhaps my favorite spintop trick because for some time I had the fantasy that it could be done while rationally I thought it was impossible. So I was shocked when I discovered players in Mexico were doing it. It was invented by Gustavo Castro who gave it the name Wheel of Fortune, although most players in Mexico call it bastones (which is the plural of baston, their old name of a single sun).

I will make a tutorial next weekend. It took me a long time to do them continuously. The control is subtle but the result is magic!  8)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:50:31 AM by ta0 »

Mermouy

• ITSA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »

Thanks for the update!
I like the "generating suns" name much more even if "Bastones" or better "Baston" mean fight in french (whitch is just funny), this Gustavo is amazing!
I manage from time to time to do it for few turns, but these must be lucky ones as I can't do it again on the next throw...
Thanks for this next tutorial, I'm sure it will be useful for many of us...

About the whip thing should I post it in a new request topic to make them easier to find and discuss?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »

If you dig through the Trick of the Week videos there are some really clear whip catch segments.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:10:54 AM »

this is by no means a tutorial but this is the video i made when i learned it.  note this is a very low speed regen, it won't work if you have a bunch of spin like right after a boomerang.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:13:53 AM by Neff »

Mermouy

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »

Thanks!
I will have a closer look this evening, I saw this video months ago, I totally forgot about it, shame on me...
And with a snapstart bonus! Like it, it's also a good indication, I think, that it is a "generating trick", this leads to avoid hight spin moments and to care more on some right hand gestures... (I guess...)

That's perfect to work thanks again!

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »

I just started working on this trick too and was about to ask if it was a slow or fast regenerating trick! Thanks!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »

Here is the tutorial I promised. I hope it helps. Done extra large with a 7" top.  ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 01:06:56 AM »

Here is the tutorial I promised. I hope it helps. Done extra large with a 7" top.  ;)

flawless  :o
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:04:30 AM by ta0 »

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:26 AM »

Oh I see. I have been completely neglecting the left hand action. Thanks! Going to try again.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Wheel of Fortune Tutorial
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »

I asked Gus when did he invent the trick and he answered that it was a process between October 1996 and November 1997 when he could finally regenerate forever. So this year it will be the 20th anniversary of the trick. But in the US we did not find out about it until 10 years later  :o , when the Mexican players started to post videos: times have changed so much! :o ::)

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »

I have been working on this trick for a long time. I can do One Revolution and then the Top flies off the string. I noticed last year at the Miamisburg Spintop Festival that Eli wraps his string around the tip different than JohnM while doing this trick. I'm still working on this trick and hope one day I will finally get it down.

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 02:40:03 AM »

It's not a different wrap on the tip but it is a different way of doing it. There's two ways to do it, the first is what Ta0 does in the video       
where he lets the top rotate one time at the bottom of the string before he begins suns. The second way is just going straight into it after you catch it on the lasso (rollercoaster catch) and not letting it rotate at the bottom at all. The first way allows the top to stay on the string much easier because it always has a wrap on it however it doesn't feel as smooth because the string is constantly grinding on itself. With the second way there is more of a risk of slinging the top off the string because the top loses the wrap on the tip when it flips at the bottom of the sun whereas the first way keeps the wrap on the tip throughout the whole trick. If you can't tell which way you're doing it here is an easy way to tell. When the TOP is at the top of the sun if the string in your left hand is in front of the string in your right hand then you're doing it the first way. If the string in your left hand is behind the string in your right hand then you're doing it the second way. Both ways work fine but I prefer the second way because it's easier to get into and out of and it seems to flow better with other regen tricks also with lightweight tops it is significantly smoother because there's no string grind.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Oh I see. I have been completely neglecting the left hand action. Thanks! Going to try again.
Yes, using the left hand is very important and something not obvious while watching somebody else do it. It can be very subtle, specially with a light top, just a slight right to left movement of the left hand or just no following the right hand movement to the right. I suspect many players do it without realizing it.

It's not a different wrap on the tip but it is a different way of doing it. There's two ways to do it, the first is what Ta0 does in the video       
where he lets the top rotate one time at the bottom of the string before he begins suns. The second way is just going straight into it after you catch it on the lasso (rollercoaster catch) and not letting it rotate at the bottom at all. The first way allows the top to stay on the string much easier because it always has a wrap on it however it doesn't feel as smooth because the string is constantly grinding on itself. With the second way there is more of a risk of slinging the top off the string because the top loses the wrap on the tip when it flips at the bottom of the sun whereas the first way keeps the wrap on the tip throughout the whole trick. If you can't tell which way you're doing it here is an easy way to tell. When the TOP is at the top of the sun if the string in your left hand is in front of the string in your right hand then you're doing it the first way. If the string in your left hand is behind the string in your right hand then you're doing it the second way. Both ways work fine but I prefer the second way because it's easier to get into and out of and it seems to flow better with other regen tricks also with lightweight tops it is significantly smoother because there's no string grind.
Very good contribution, Eli! I currently always do it starting with a wrap (generally I catch trapeze and wait one turn) although at the beginning I may have tried the other way, I am not sure. Both methods will have one wrap at the top of the "orbit", so I guess the increased risk of losing it would be a the beginning of the orbit. Yesterday I pulled a muscle in my neck (playing WiiU !) and this morning I have a stiff neck, so I cannot try it. But when I can I will film your version in slow mo (the camera does 120 fps at 1080p).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:32:54 AM by ta0 »

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 12:30:23 AM »

I tried it out and actually managed to do four in a row (but averaged two.) It wasn't a pretty sight to be sure but I feel like I am beginning to understand the motions.