iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need some koma advise  (Read 1843 times)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Need some koma advise
« on: May 10, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »

Saturday my Spin Gear koma came from YYE. I think it has a thick string in there. I swear it seemed like a rope. here's my progress, although do correct any errors I've made, because there has to be some.

1: The ends are waxed, I guess. I tied a knot in one end. The other already had a loop tied.

2: I wound it up like a regular top, threw it upside down, the loop-tied end being held like a button.... the results were, uh, not exactly dangerous, but the top was sideways. I forget if the tip was aimed in my direction or away.

2: I did the lower part reversed, threw tip down. Same issue except perhaps backwards in reference to above.

Maybe I shouldn't start with boomerang, but feel I'm only off a little bit on maybe a couple of things. What I do know is the errors I am having need me to get some expert help here to point me in the right direction. I am convinced with some words to put me in the right direction, I'll have this spinning in my hand in a day or two. If I could get a micro top spinning in my hand in less than 10 throws from never having thrown one before, I know I can get this koma top working.

I saw a video that suggests I'm doing some things vastly wrong, that perhaps I should be using the loop at the top and the other end should not have a knot in it. Another video supports more of how I originally did things.

I don't need help with the new Electrick and 2 Short Circuits in the same order.  Stock, with no adjustments for me, those are "wind and go" ready out of the package.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Need some koma advise
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:02:09 AM »

heres how to wrap and throw budd  ;)
you hold the koma tip down, palm up. little awkward at first but it gets comfortable pretty quick. boomerang the same as usual basically.
please forgive the crack in my wall.... its not its fault @-@

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:40:10 AM by Jack »

studio42

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »

Thanks! I'll try that out in a day or two. I injured my elbow moving audio gear so I can't get to this until it feels better!

studio42

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:48:35 AM »

Update;

The past 24 hours have been really bad. I won't discuss that here.

I actually looked at the instructions for the top, and the pre-tied loop is apparently rather important. I think the way Jack is showing works best with the more traditional koma since there's surface to lock that knot down with. However, the rest was spot on.

Needing a quick distraction, I wound up the top and gave it a quick spin to the floor after 4 or 5 failed windings. I gotta get used to that! Anyhow, the throw went good. I used the string to get the top to my hand and quickly corrected it and got at least 15 seconds of spin time.

Thank you, Jack!! Any help is always appreciated. I just wanted to relay that it did in fact help!

OK, I've had enough joy for one day. I will work on boomeranging that top over the next few days as time permits during my "outside" time. I bet I can have it in less than an hour! My objective for the top is just to boomerang it reliably. I know once I get that, I'll push further. For now, boomerang is the goal. I will make it!!