iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fire wire walking  (Read 5441 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Fire wire walking
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »

Some tests with fire wire walking:

Unfortunately, fishing line cannot be used as I have to soak the string with fuel. Perhaps some string other than cotton can absorb fuel but be more sleek for long wire walks. I think I need to obtain about double the distance to really make it interesting.
I bet that one day troupes from China will be doing this!  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:58:43 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Fire wire walking
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »

well done except for the landings  :-[
it's strange to see the line burning more as the top travels...that' a very cool effect

thanx
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »

That is awesome. Xtream top spinning for sure. Like the Delorean going back in time. :)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 03:28:20 PM »

Very impressive! How many times can you reuse the "fire wire" without replacing the line? And more importantly, does your wife know what you're doing with her furniture?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »

That was fun to watch! Maybe one of the string makers here could twist a cotton-fishing line string.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »

I'm not a fan of fire, but that's just my opinion based on stuff I've seen in the entertainment industry. That aside....

I have some friends who are into fire spinning. It seems the preferred material is kevlar for fire spinning poi and inserts for fire diabolo, fire staff and other nifty spinning toys. Every one of them are saying "kevlar, kevlar, kevlar". These dancers I was working with(not my choice) got into fire stuff and it was almost all kevlar as well. They are buying it in strips. It seems top spinners would want to get it as thread and then make your own string/cable. Maybe kevlar diabolo string for the walking?

What I really liked was when the top was going down the string and the fire popping up behind it. Looked like something out of a cartoon. It should be sped up(post effect) and a s long as you can make it.

Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »

well done except for the landings  :-[
The string was probably tied too high with respect to the seat for a good landing.

it's strange to see the line burning more as the top travels...that' a very cool effect
Yes, I agree, that is the coolest thing about it. At first I had the candle at the center and started the fire from there, but then I realized that I should start the fire on my side to get the full effect of the flame chasing the top.
I am not completely sure why the flame does not propagate at the beginning as I submerged the whole string in fuel. I guess it is behaving like a wick and drawing the fuel from the rest of the string. But it is understandable that the top helps the flame propagate as it puts in contact pieces of string separated by the circumference of the tip.

Very impressive! How many times can you reuse the "fire wire" without replacing the line? And more importantly, does your wife know what you're doing with her furniture?
The string lasts quite a few times. All three walks on the video were with the same piece of string. Of course, I make sure I extinguish the flame after a walk. What I think I noticed is that the string started to absorb less fuel, so that is probably what would limit its reuse.
My wife saw it and said nothing: I am more surprised than you!  :o

It seems top spinners would want to get it as thread and then make your own string/cable. Maybe kevlar diabolo string for the walking?
I do have kevlar thread and a regular size top wire walks fine using it. But by itself it takes too little fuel. Perhaps making a top string would work, but on the other hand the string burning has not been a problem.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »

FANTASTIC. I love long wire walkers. I would like to see it in the dark. Next FIRE FIGHTING TOPS.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:05:52 PM »

Looks great.  Seems like this would be a good video for recordsetter.com under longest fire and a spinning top (or something like that).  It appears to be about 15 feet.  You need to take a few minutes and start a recordsetter account!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »

that is very impressive @-@
i especialy like how the fire follows the top  >:D

anon

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »

My kind of trick!  >:D
Spin tops not the truth.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »

My kind of trick!  >:D

welcome back ancient one @-@

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »

I am guessing that is not your dining room chair :) I love the effect.  Since the fire follows the top, the landing could be in a pan of flash paper or some such.  Keeping the string several inches above the tray would prevent premature ignition.
Very Nicely Done!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »

Since the fire follows the top, the landing could be in a pan of flash paper or some such.  Keeping the string several inches above the tray would prevent premature ignition.
Good idea, Kirk! I may see what the local magic shop has.