iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jack's "Grade "EH" String" (now dead thx to photobucket)  (Read 107200 times)

Nocto

Re: Jack's "Grade "EH" String"
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »

So, basically, the wooden piece with the hooks is fixed to my impact drill in locked mode, while the gearbox is spun with an impact driver (the gearbox is not fixed, because the driver only snaps on hex bits; I'm thinking about gluing the round Technic piece into a socket). Once the plies are twisted, I unlock the drill and spin the hook piece to wrap them all together.

The problem now is that there's a lot of friction in the mechanism. My first version was better in this regard, but one of the plies spun on the main axis, which meant it stayed stationary when came time to wrap the plies, and that messed up the length of each plies.

The only reason it's not 4-ply is because I ran out of gears.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »

So, basically, the wooden piece with the hooks is fixed to my impact drill in locked mode, while the gearbox is spun with an impact driver (the gearbox is not fixed, because the driver only snaps on hex bits; I'm thinking about gluing the round Technic piece into a socket). Once the plies are twisted, I unlock the drill and spin the hook piece to wrap them all together.

The problem now is that there's a lot of friction in the mechanism. My first version was better in this regard, but one of the plies spun on the main axis, which meant it stayed stationary when came time to wrap the plies, and that messed up the length of each plies.

The only reason it's not 4-ply is because I ran out of gears.

very cool  8)
run!!! run and buy more gears for a 4th hook my good man!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:36:41 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »

tried the 2x2 pink/mint tday, the mint is showing up a bit better but still its alot harder to see the greenish hue irl than it is in a pic  ???
im gonna see how a 3x1 mint/pink goes. i still like this combo here, its just not a visible as id like @-@

Nocto

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »

tried the 2x2 pink/mint tday, the mint is showing up a bit better but still its alot harder to see the greenish hue irl than it is in a pic  ???
im gonna see how a 3x1 mint/pink goes. i still like this combo here, its just not a visible as id like @-@

I can sort of see the green hue. Have you checked your white balance? Maybe that's what eating the green away.

Made 32 string. One ply is metallic "white pearl" crochet thread. The string feels a bit rugged as a result, but the effect--in person--is pretty cool. Still, ~12" longer than the yoyoplay string and still I get a perpendicular throw. I think the problem is density: mine and yoyoplay's string are the same width, but the wrap on the latter is tight.

edit: As I shortened my string--inch by inch--to possibly get a better angle on my boomerang, I guess I learned to better correct my throw (tip pointing at ~20-45° if we consider pointing left 0° and upright 90°), because I ended up with a roughly equivalent string length (~69"). I get better (read: more consistent) results with my string, though.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:06:08 AM by Nocto »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »

I can sort of see the green hue. Have you checked your white balance? Maybe that's what eating the green away.

thats the weird part, the green only shows up on camera  :(
irl you can hardly make it out lol  ;D

Made 32 string. One ply is metallic "white pearl" crochet thread. The string feels a bit rugged as a result, but the effect--in person--is pretty cool. Still, ~12" longer than the yoyoplay string and still I get a perpendicular throw. I think the problem is density: mine and yoyoplay's string are the same width, but the wrap on the latter is tight.

nice!!! niiiiiiice!!!

mine and yoyoplay's string are the same width, but the wrap on the latter is tight.

make it tighter then bruh  ;D tight string is best string  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:42:20 AM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2016, 09:32:43 AM »

Yes, go tighter on the wind-up. You will like it.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »

behold the mysterious 2x2 lavender/black @-@

please enjoy the following whilst staring into the mysterious black/lavender @-@

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »

Do they do wire walkers both ways? I can just imagine the beautiful tops you could make when you get your hands on a wood lathe.

they walk six ways to sunday @-@

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:41 PM »

another coil of 3x1 pink/black..........because a man can never have enough 3x1 pink/black top string bruh @-@

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:12 PM »

Fantastic string. Video did nothing for me. This is funny.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 03:33:36 AM »

Fantastic string. Video did nothing for me. This is funny.

That happens all the time at my house. You get used to it.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 08:08:53 PM »

I still favor the purple

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »

I still favor the purple

you mean the 2x2 black/lavender???

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »

I still favor the purple

you mean the 2x2 black/lavender???
Well, perhaps it is Black/Magenta. :)  I guess one should not argue with what is on the thread package Eh?

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »

Jack the OSH can do a double body cork screw with long line.