iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Milestone! Regen!  (Read 11545 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Milestone! Regen!
« on: January 16, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »

26 Drumbeats! Sewing Machines (says ta0)  with my new chonkake.   The rain finally stopped long enough to take it outside.  I got runs of 15, 16 & 26.  (and lots of 1, 2 & 4) I'm pretty excited to have improved my hand positioning to get this far.  I am only able to to western style drumbeats Sewing Machines with this top.  The Japanese style regens with a looping motion have me stumped.

Back outside for more!
Kirk
--edit--
Stopped at 35 with a sore arm! Me thinks the regen barrier is broken. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:09:52 AM by Kirk »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Milestone! Regen!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »

Very well done, bet it feels good!
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »

Congrats Kirk!  You are regenerating no doubt! :)
It is a great feeling when one starts to do it. It opens a new world of spintop play.
Are you using the traditional one or the POM (delrin)?

I would say the usual way of regenerating the chonkake is easier than drumbeats. You are probably doing something wrong. If  you post a video we may be able to help.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »

Very well done, bet it feels good!
Yes Dick it feels great.  Now that a few hours have past my right bicep is not on fire.

It is a great feeling when one starts to do it. It opens a new world of spintop play.
I'm not yet at the point of a whole new world. (queue song)
I would say the usual way of regenerating the chonkake is easier than drumbeats.
The easy way never seems to work for me :)
You are probably doing something wrong. If  you post a video we may be able to help.
video here --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZyVhaQRGU&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:07:42 PM by Kirk »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »

Your "sewing machine" looks basically ok. To go into the Japanese version, you have to incorporate the body rotation into the trick. You cannot be lazy about it, you have to rotate as fast as the chonkake precesses. You start rotating as soon as you catch the tip and while the chonkake slides down. Once it reaches the bottom you pull hard with your right hand to get it airborne and start again. While on the string the chonkake is moving from right to left and on the pull it moves back right: it is not just an up-down trick.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:01:32 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »

Go Kirk

Nice work

Your improvement is no quirk

Because practicing is something you did not shirk!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 02:01:58 AM »

Bravo Kirk!that's a major step! ;)

Nice lines Mike!

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »

Great Job Kirk.  :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »

well done kirk!!!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:52:16 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 09:04:41 AM »

Good job Kirk!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »

Thanks to all for your encouragement.
  I feel great that I was able to rate      a poem.
To go into the Japanese version, you have to incorporate the body rotation into the trick. You cannot be lazy about it, you have to rotate as fast as the chonkake precesses. You start rotating as soon as you catch the tip and while the chonkake slides down. Once it reaches the bottom you pull hard with your right hand to get it airborne and start again. While on the string the chonkake is moving from right to left and on the pull it moves back right: it is not just an up-down trick.
Good luck!
Today's update
Over the last few days, I finally got the Japanese style single pump regen!  As ta0 said it is not just up and down.  For me the key was to start with the top off to my left.  After the top is at a reasonable speed,(2 or 3sewing machines) then with the top to the left and pull up and right.  The top goes far right and when caught naturally swings to the left.  The first few are pretty hard as the top is a bit slow and so is precessing fast. (3 pumps per precession rotation)   But with the top moving to the left you get a really good string wrap and the top really speeds up.  Then you can relax a bit.  (6 to 8 pumps per)   I did 2 under leg passes! (well I did lots, but I landed 2)
For anyone struggling with with regens as much as I have, I strongly recommend a chonkakegoma from Taka's store. (with the red string)
---
But Wait There's More!
While I am far away from mastery, I figured that it was time to attempt, once again, regens with some other tops.  The results are in.
4" Watts top - 20 sewing machines, then to hand, then a happy dance.
JohnM RotoTop - 12 roller coaster - sewing machine thingies
QS Hybrid - 9 sewing machines
1 sore elbow :)
---------------
Questions:
Roller Coasters - How does one recover when the top comes up too straight? It seems that I need for the top to leaning away from me a bit to stay on the string.
Chonkake - I am using the red string that came with my top. I also bought the white string (the one that Taka sells with the delrin chonkake) The red string is much stiffer. For me the white string tangles around the axle pretty often.  Do any of you experience this?  How do you overcome it?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »

Thanks to all for your encouragement.
  I feel great that I was able to rate      a poem.
To go into the Japanese version, you have to incorporate the body rotation into the trick. You cannot be lazy about it, you have to rotate as fast as the chonkake precesses. You start rotating as soon as you catch the tip and while the chonkake slides down. Once it reaches the bottom you pull hard with your right hand to get it airborne and start again. While on the string the chonkake is moving from right to left and on the pull it moves back right: it is not just an up-down trick.
Good luck!
Today's update
Over the last few days, I finally got the Japanese style single pump regen!  As ta0 said it is not just up and down.  For me the key was to start with the top off to my left.  After the top is at a reasonable speed,(2 or 3sewing machines) then with the top to the left and pull up and right.  The top goes far right and when caught naturally swings to the left.  The first few are pretty hard as the top is a bit slow and so is precessing fast. (3 pumps per precession rotation)   But with the top moving to the left you get a really good string wrap and the top really speeds up.  Then you can relax a bit.  (6 to 8 pumps per)   I did 2 under leg passes! (well I did lots, but I landed 2)
For anyone struggling with with regens as much as I have, I strongly recommend a chonkakegoma from Taka's store. (with the red string)
---
But Wait There's More!
While I am far away from mastery, I figured that it was time to attempt, once again, regens with some other tops.  The results are in.
4" Watts top - 20 sewing machines, then to hand, then a happy dance.
JohnM RotoTop - 12 roller coaster - sewing machine thingies
QS Hybrid - 9 sewing machines
1 sore elbow :)
---------------
Questions:
Roller Coasters - How does one recover when the top comes up too straight? It seems that I need for the top to leaning away from me a bit to stay on the string.
Chonkake - I am using the red string that came with my top. I also bought the white string (the one that Taka sells with the delrin chonkake) The red string is much stiffer. For me the white string tangles around the axle pretty often.  Do any of you experience this?  How do you overcome it?

this is great kirk!!! ur a lucky cookie its coming so fast to you  :o

Questions:

what needs to happen is you have to put a little arc into it like a merrygoround, ill make a pov video later tnight with some slomo maybe itll help  ;)

im so happy for you kirk!!!! have fun!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »

Congrats Kirk! Welcome to the regen club!  8) It is a huge milestone in top spinning!  :)

Jack is right for the standing top roller coaster. You have to push the top out when you catch it. I actually like to stand up the top during the roller coasters because to me it is more elegant that way.

Tangling around the chonkake shaft may be due not turning fast enough to keep up with the top. Another reason could be that you delay releasing the cord on your left hand.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »

for me and my lamp part chonkakes  ::) i find that a string thats not stiff (like reguler top string) tangles like crazy no matter how hard i fight it. and then when i use my actual chonkake string which has the plastic core, the chonkake has to have a bit of heft or else it just falls out the loop. so i guess my 2 cents worth is, not all chonkakes react well with the same string  :-[ depends on the weight

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 12:51:20 AM »

this is great kirk!!! ur a lucky cookie its coming so fast to you  :o
I guess that "so fast" is a relative term. I have been attempting to learn regens for two and a half years.  I still can't do 3 decent looking roller coasters to string.  It is only in the last few months that any type regen seemed to be achievable.  Only in the last 3 weeks have I seen any breakthrough.
what needs to happen is you have to put a little arc into it like a merrygoround,
Jack is right for the standing top roller coaster. You have to push the top out when you catch it.
That makes sense to get the top moving in a circle to keep the string on the tip.
I look forward to the video