iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down

Author Topic: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland  (Read 45537 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

http://iyyf.org/wyyc2017-will-be-in-iceland/

8) 8)

great location, i was there in 1980

jim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:35:58 PM by ta0 »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world yoyo contest
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »

Wow!  ???
I met and talked to a young yo-yo player from Iceland and his parents at Lucky's some years ago. there was one competitor from Iceland in Tokyo (I don't know if they are the same). I am surprised Iceland beat Poland, which from the announcement was also a candidate and organized the last European contest (unless they only volunteered in case nobody else did).

I don't know if we can get spintop players to Iceland. From the US it is expensive to fly there, but no so much from Europe. We cannot expect local spintop players like in Japan. It would be an unusual place to visit, no doubt. But perhaps the spintop worlds will have to split. We will see.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:55:42 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
rmy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

From the US it is expensive to fly there

i don't think so
you guys,have a huge US Army base in Keflavik with AM radio and everything
i scanned a return  flight to NYC at 57O USD

we'll see what the wind does....

jim

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world yoyo contest 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:13:47 PM »

Jim: I first checked on Travelocity from San Antonio and the cheapest it gave me was $1800! These are flights first going to London. But then from NYC got that $570 price you found on a non-stop Icelandair flight. So from here it would be around $900 buying tickets on two airlines. From Paris to Reykjavik there are flights for less than $300.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »

Well, that is a shocker from what little I know about the yoyo community.  I remember that family from Iceland.  They are a very nice bunch and it seems like they had children attending the top spinning workshop in Orlando.  I think I spent time with them at several world championships.

I will not be retired by then but I certainly am intrigued by this possibility!!!  There was a great show on one of the educational channels the other day about Iceland and all the great things they are doing with the heat from volcanoes.  They are really big on renewable energy and geothermal energy is a big part of their lives.

Here are a couple things I just read about on Wikipedia.  I did not realize Iceland is considered part of Europe!  Also, they went through a very bad time with their economy in 2008 but has bounced back quite nicely and a big part of that was tourism!  So, they are ready for the world yoyo event.

On a personal note, I see where the state church for Iceland is the Church of Iceland.  Here is the shocker (to me) - it is a Lutheran body and I am Lutheran!!!  Almost 75 percent of the people are members of the Church of Iceland.  This means there are a lot of potential connections for me in that country.  Wow!!!  I have a lot of things to think about.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »

Even the yoyo community thinks it's kind of a weird move.. there isn't much of a yoyo group there.

In any case, it's a really cool location.

I was finding flights in august 2016 (so that I'm looking at the right time of year) for $950 from Houston.. I know others were getting $700 from NYC.

Kyle

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »

I spent a lot of time in the Navy deployed to Keflavik Air Force Base. Never left the base on the ground but flew many missions looking for Soviet submarines. Thought that the locals that worked on the base were interesting and very nice. I would be interested to see what is left of the base.
Practice hard and play safe.

Shyguy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »

The project that ICeland presented to be voted is AWESOME, and won clearly to the one that poland made. A few polish yo-yoers got mad, but most of us love the idea. We are a bit sick of Budapest and Prague. Tokyo was awesome but way too expensive for most europeans. Nest year it will be hosted by Cleveland, Ohio (2016). I'm planning to go (to represent my japanese yo-yo sponsor). I'd love to meet everybody attending.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »

Is The Earl of Whirl saying that he may consider competing in Iceland?  :o

It would be great to meet you in Cleveland, Shyguy!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 11:11:36 AM »

I flew the idea by my wife and she did not say no.  We are officially "thinking about it" but when I said we could maybe go to Europe after that her eyes lit up!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

I flew the idea by my wife and she did not say no.  We are officially "thinking about it" but when I said we could maybe go to Europe after that her eyes lit up!!!

hoowaaaa!!! did not know you were married  :o
i hope you convince her its a good idea to go  ;)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 07:41:07 PM »

I went to Iceland this summer, and it was FANTASTIC! There is a new discount airline called WOW Air, and if you buy your ticket far enough in advance you can get it for as low as $100. We had to buy our kind of late, and it was peak season, so they were more in the $700 range. Iceland is a really easy place to be a tourist as an American since everyone speaks english, and are really friendly. The landscape is so different from anything else I've ever seen. I got to walk on tundra! For both me and my wife it was a transformative trip. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mike, the word I got about religion is that Iceland is not a very religious country. They may be Lutheran primarily on paper, but I don't really know. One thing that I can tell you though is that in every town and city the church is the coolest building around. There were a couple of places we went where the houses were totally boring and the church was amazing!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »

salut Mark and all

Mike, the word I got about religion is that Iceland is not a very religious country. They may be Lutheran primarily on paper, but I don't really know.

i didn't get the same feeling when I was there

I spent 6 weeks in Iceland in 1980 from Seidisfjiordur , driving all around anti clock wise Akureiri, Reykjavik,Keflavik and then the south coast
at one point there was an eruption of the Hekla vulcano ,
the 14th august i think
anyway
people were super friendly and open
they would open a school to host  us (me ,my bro simon and another friend in a VW 1300 Bug)
we never slept in a hotel or in a paying accommodation
for alcohol the laws were (still are) very strict
only on Fridays could you buy booze
and the locals go wild
when we drove past Keflavik i remember this AM radio from the US army base
good rock'n'roll and blues nights

high spinning times ahead :D

jim

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »

I appreciate all the good information about Iceland.  Thank you.  There was a recent segment on snapchat with beautiful pictures from there.  It got my wife and I to talking about it again and she is all in!!!  My one big question is about the dates.  I do not see anywhere the possible dates or times.  Maybe someone around these parts has some inside information?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »

Reykjavik in the news today as the city council voted to have all lights turned off Wednesday night (9/28) in order to provide the best possible viewing for the aurora borealis!  Interesting!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up