iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Poblems with tricks  (Read 5483 times)

Shyguy

• ITSA Jr.
Poblems with tricks
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »

As a beginner, I am finding some tricks very difficult for several reasons. I suffer from an invisible illness and I lost the feelings in my hands and forearms (from fingers to elbows) so I have to keep working out in order to slow the degenartive process down. Therefore, I have no feels and I am buff, and I am finding a few tricks way harder to be mastered for those reasons. I have posted a video to show you it. Any tip from the advanced players would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:38:35 PM by Shyguy »

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Poblems with tricks
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »

im very sorry to hear of your health issue  :'( i find it very inspiring that you keep going and learning new things in spite of it eh

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »

The video doesn't show any problems. I would think that getting it on the finger is a trick that would be affected by low tactile sensitivity, but you do fine.

I am not sure how your problem will affect your tricks. Almost always you are looking at the top, so perhaps you can compensate, except obviously something like a catch with your hand behind your back.
For several regen tricks you need to let the string slip through the fingers of your non dominant hand in a controlled way. That may be a challenge, I don't know.
Anyway, I think skill toys are a way of challenging oneself in a fun way, not of competing against others (yeah, in spite of the contests I entered). And spintops will challenge anybody.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:33:14 AM by ta0 »

Shyguy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »

I do need to hear and see a yoyo to know how much RPM it has left :) skill toys player with MS issues, I guess. But I kinda developed my own tricks and methods to for example land a boomerang on the middle on my palm when because a lack of control of sttrength it was like trying to catch a bird flying.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »

I see progress and good work despite whatever other challenges you have in your life.  Keep up the good work.  One thing I might suggest is to have your boomerang throw come back with a little more arc......it seems to come back kind of flat which is less consistent.

Good luck with your top spinning and your health!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:31:06 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »

One thing I might suggest is to have your boomerang throw come back with a little more arc.
I agree. I would even say a lot more arc.  (starting outside) Try having the top go higher than your head.  Bend your knees and these become easy to land.  This has helped me learn control for many different boomerang throws. Low, High, Left hand catch, back of the hand catch (ouch),  catch by my friends ....

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »

hello David

i've watched the vids and it's obvious your boomerang should go higher
you'll have more time to catch :D anyway
besides that , posture is also really important
you could compensate your lack of feel in the arms / hands by flexing legs,lowering your centre of gravity
i've often heard the sentence by kendama experts "it's all in the knees"
that could apply to top playing as well

wish you good times in your progress,
landing a new trick provides some kind of endomorphine stronger that any dope around !

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Shyguy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

I am slowly improving (or trying) tho the bigger arc for boomerangs is being very hard (painful) because tracing a circle hurts (my right side is pretty messed up). But muy boomerangs are quite consistente, I hardly ever miss one (adaptation to the environment lol).
Thank you all for the suggestions! :)

PD: I've just finished this video with 8 basic tricks. I hope you to like it

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:15:46 PM by Shyguy »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »

I am slowly improving (or trying) tho the bigger arc for boomerangs is being very hard (painful) because tracing a circle hurts (my right side is pretty messed up). But muy boomerangs are quite consistente, I hardly ever miss one (adaptation to the environment lol).
Thank you all for the suggestions! :)

PD: I've just finished this video with 8 basic tricks. I hope you to like it

nicccccce  8) you could probably get the 8 trick patch if you were so inclined  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:08:18 PM by ta0 »

Shyguy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

How can I get it? What should I film? Is it a braided patch? We do need bowling shirts for all the braided patches (or leather biker jackets)  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:19:31 PM by Shyguy »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »

OOOh I didn't think of bowling shirts! :)
There is a 'sticky post' at the top of the Latest Spin that describes the patches (both embroidered and virtual)
For the 8 trick patch you only need to add crazy eight.  You need to use a Spintastics top to get the free patch from them.  They have a new website and I have not yet found the awards yet.
Kirk

Shyguy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »

I can do that! Plus I am about to receive both gladiators and blizzards :D

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »

Wow very nice. You look very calm while you handle a top. I control a top like Daffy Duck. But it's FUN.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »

They have a new website and I have not yet found the awards yet.
applications are posted on the "patches" sticky thread