iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trompo and Top Spinning possibilities with a Spanish class  (Read 2682 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Trompo and Top Spinning possibilities with a Spanish class
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »

One of our high school youth casually mentioned that his Spanish class was offering extra credit if they bring in some different items.  He listed some of the things and one of them was a spinning top.  Of course, my ears perked up and and I invited him to a visit of the Top Spinning Hall of Fame.  I brought out three tops and told him they were not just any tops.  The little light blue top was used at the world championships for some battle action.  The plastic top from Mexico was from Salvador by way of two time world champion ta0.  The third colorful wood top was one sent to us by our good friend from Long Island, Larry D.  He took them to school and I heard nothing for a week.

Finally, tonight I asked how things were going with the tops and his eyes lit up.  He told about how people loved them in all his classes because he has been spinning them in every class!  The Spanish class was given an extension on when their items were due, so he has been enjoying giving them a whirl around school.  Some of the kids are even asking where they can get some tops.  "Tell them to give me a call" I said.

I am thinking about ways to build on this.  My efforts to connect with shop classes making tops did not have any long term success.  It will be interesting to see where this goes as I try to connect with more Spanish classes. 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Trompo and Top Spinning possibilities with a Spanish class
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:41:27 AM »

So, was the spinning top on a list the teacher provided?

Great story!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:24:25 PM »

I just called my Grandson's wood teacher and told him I would like to show up and show my tops to the students. The hope is that they would like to make some. I also gave him some of the listings on youtube. Well he has not called back. I'm still DEAD in the watter.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »

I just called my Grandson's wood teacher and told him I would like to show up and show my tops to the students. The hope is that they would like to make some. I also gave him some of the listings on youtube. Well he has not called back. I'm still DEAD in the watter.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:19:23 PM »

you have a heavy task ahead of you mike, godspeed  ;)