iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Progress!!  (Read 6018 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Progress!!
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »

I'm pleased to announce progress in my quest to learn spin top throwing!  I had the hardest time learning to boomerang, as you may recall, but now I throw consistent, catchable boomerangs almost every time.   ;D

My next tricks that I'm working on are the merry-go-round and the wire-walker.  Both seem doable, although I have mastered neither, yet.

With the merry-go-round, I have mixed results.  Usually, perhaps 80% of the time, the top goes straight from my hand to the floor, without engaging the string.  On those occasions when I actually catch the top on the string, I can manage several rotations on the string.  When trying to "land" the trick by recatching the top, I fail most of the time.  Most of the time I can catch the top, but seldom spinning in my hand.  I think I have only completed the trick properly twice, with a clean, spinning catch after the rotations on the string.

Is there a particular technique I need to know about to consistently catch the top on the string?  And, is there technique to popping the top back up to the hand from the string such that it lands spinning in the hand?

Wire-walker is a different thing, altogether.  Several times I have managed to send the top across the string to my other hand, but I've not yet figured out how to land it.

Little did I know, a year ago, how much fun this would be!  I'm so glad I decided to give this a whirl (see what I did, there?)   ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Progress!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »

I am happy to hear about the fun you are having.  The fun will really increase when you start doing merry-go-rounds.  They are much easier than you realize.  I remember well the top falling straight to the ground when trying this trick.  A big thing to remember is that bigger circles keep the top against the string and this means more control for you.  Are you using a bearing top or a fixed tip?  Bearing tops give you more time to do more merry-go-rounds right now and then before you know it you will be able to do figure 8's and go around your body and more!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

I am happy to hear about the fun you are having.  The fun will really increase when you start doing merry-go-rounds.  They are much easier than you realize.  I remember well the top falling straight to the ground when trying this trick.  A big thing to remember is that bigger circles keep the top against the string and this means more control for you.  Are you using a bearing top or a fixed tip?  Bearing tops give you more time to do more merry-go-rounds right now and then before you know it you will be able to do figure 8's and go around your body and more!!!

I've been using a fixed tip top.  I haven't had too much trouble making the circles, provided I have caught the top on the string.  My problem is never engaging the string, and the top going directly from my hand to the floor. Any clue what I may be doing wrong?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »

My problem is never engaging the string, and the top going directly from my hand to the floor. Any clue what I may be doing wrong?

I was trying to teach MGR yesterday at the Texas States, and that was the problem my student was having.
One thing I always tell people learning the trick is to use the non-dominant hand to control the fall. That is the hand in charge of keeping the string in the groove.

Something I realized yesterday is that more than dropping the top from the hand, I take the hand from under the top after I give the top a light impulse to the outside.
I hope it helps.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »

My problem is never engaging the string, and the top going directly from my hand to the floor. Any clue what I may be doing wrong?

I was trying to teach MGR yesterday at the Texas States, and that was the problem my student was having.
One thing I always tell people learning the trick is to use the non-dominant hand to control the fall. That is the hand in charge of keeping the string in the groove.

Something I realized yesterday is that more than dropping the top from the hand, I take the hand from under the top after I give the top a light impulse to the outside.
I hope it helps.

I think I understand about taking the hand from under the top.  The part about the non-dominant hand, not so much.  I'll have to work on it some more.

Thanks for the help, ta0!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »

The part about the non-dominant hand, not so much.
I think what ta0 means is to control the tension with your left (non dominant) hand.  You can even raise your left hand a bit to keep the string from slipping off the tip.  Eventually you will be able to control the tension with your thumb and not need your left hand unless you want to reduce tangling.
Oh. I never noticed how I do this.  I threw a few and noted that I don't even push the top out. I only move my hand to the left and then towards me to start the rotation.  Even after I learned MGR it took me a long time to be smooth and consistent.  Keep up the good work.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:10 AM »

I know where you're at. Was there not too long myself. Took 2 years to throw a top properly, and only last Friday did I do merry go round properly. Before, it was sorta a half a revolution then back to the hand. Then by accident I wasn't paying attention and I kept it going, and going and going and then brought it back to my hand.

First, I agree with the recommendation to get a bearing-tip top. I also recommend a fixed tip top, which you already have, since some tricks require certain configurations.

Second, just addressing your issue with the top falling to the floor/ground: This is what I found was my problem, which I'm working hard to get more and more consistent. Assuming you are right handed, you want to wrap the string once or twice around the top. Your right hand, being palm up, you want to slide the top and string OFF your right hand in that area between your thumb and index finger. Using your left hand, you control how much string you let out. I can't comment intelligently about loop size, but I do find something at least wider than your hand starts you in the right direction. I find when the yoyo misses the string it's because I'm usually trying to hop/pop the top, or bounce it of my hand, so the top comes of the string and is then going own.

Good progress.

I am using a fixed tip spin top to do Wire Walker. I'm 80% consistent. I find the trick to this is controlling tension you place on the string. Too much and the top grabs the string and tangles up. Too loose and the top falls out of the loop. There is a "butter zone" for "correct amount of tension" though, so that should help. I was lucky I was able to get this trick quickly.

Good progress.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »

I know where you're at. Was there not too long myself. Took 2 years to throw a top properly, and only last Friday did I do merry go round properly. Before, it was sorta a half a revolution then back to the hand. Then by accident I wasn't paying attention and I kept it going, and going and going and then brought it back to my hand.

First, I agree with the recommendation to get a bearing-tip top. I also recommend a fixed tip top, which you already have, since some tricks require certain configurations.

Second, just addressing your issue with the top falling to the floor/ground: This is what I found was my problem, which I'm working hard to get more and more consistent. Assuming you are right handed, you want to wrap the string once or twice around the top. Your right hand, being palm up, you want to slide the top and string OFF your right hand in that area between your thumb and index finger. Using your left hand, you control how much string you let out. I can't comment intelligently about loop size, but I do find something at least wider than your hand starts you in the right direction. I find when the yoyo misses the string it's because I'm usually trying to hop/pop the top, or bounce it of my hand, so the top comes of the string and is then going own.

Good progress.

I am using a fixed tip spin top to do Wire Walker. I'm 80% consistent. I find the trick to this is controlling tension you place on the string. Too much and the top grabs the string and tangles up. Too loose and the top falls out of the loop. There is a "butter zone" for "correct amount of tension" though, so that should help. I was lucky I was able to get this trick quickly.

Good progress.

Thanks for the tips!  I'll keep practicing, and I'm sure I'll eventually get it.  The arrival of the nicer weather will allow for more practice time...outdoors.

This is one of the cool things about top throwing;  once you have practiced hard and overcome one hurdle, there is always another challenge to attempt to learn.  Perfect one trick, and move on to learn another....

studio42

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »

Thanks for the tips!  I'll keep practicing, and I'm sure I'll eventually get it.  The arrival of the nicer weather will allow for more practice time...outdoors.

This is one of the cool things about top throwing;  once you have practiced hard and overcome one hurdle, there is always another challenge to attempt to learn.  Perfect one trick, and move on to learn another....

My kids are on a swim team and due to their different ages, I'm stuck at the pool for 3 hours a day, giving me time to practice whatever skill toys I choose over a nice, big grass field next to the pools. I figure I can't do anything else during that time, I might was well use it for myself! I find this is a near ideal playing area since drops won't damage tops or the tops damaging something! Never be afraid to try and never be afraid to fail.

Yup, I agree. Once once challenge is overcome, the next one is right there waiting to be addressed. I think this is true with any skill toy. I think for those who overcome that initial hurdle and have decided to actually stick with it, this constant challenge or ability to be creative is what keeps us drawn to these things. I also like how many of these cross generations and cultures too. I find them very relaxing as well, even if I'm not doing too well trying to get better at something.

If I can do it, you can do it! This week I am working on crazy 8's and I'm gonna check a trick ladder video for the next couple of things to learn. I'm trying to get as far as I can before the Bay Area Classic contest(where I run sound). Once there, there's a couple of people who will show me a few things to help me improve. One of them is owner of one of the stores many of us may be frequenting to get our skill toy fixes!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »

A couple of tutorial videos:

by the Spanish forum:

by the Czechs:

By the way, Spintastics has reserved a domain (spintoptricks.com ?) and plans to start posting tutorials this summer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:59:31 PM by ta0 »

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »

Thanks for the video links, ta0!  I'll keep practicing....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »

Good videos.  Those should help a bunch.

I am happy to hear about Spintastics and their website for tricks.

studio42

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 01:00:56 AM »

Good videos.  Those should help a bunch.

I am happy to hear about Spintastics and their website for tricks.
Agreed. We need more top tutorials.