iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Metal tips for Bearing Kings?  (Read 2291 times)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Metal tips for Bearing Kings?
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »

I'm currently working on a small project for putting metal tips on the Duncan Bearing King.

I'm using Spintastics tips for the Trompo bearing, and so far my results are fairly favorable. I did have to buy some locking nuts, some split washers(flattened) to use as spacers and rubber o-rings to kinda hold it all nicely and prevent the bearing from being crushed.

I just ordered some 1/8" aluminum spacers to replace the washers. I think this might be the final element. I am also debating modifying the area between the bearings where the fixed tip goes to make it a touch wider so I can possibly add a spacer in there as well. I don't want to really drill out the top if I can avoid it as I want this to be a user-performable mod that requires minimal tools.

Results so far:
The top is a touch smoother. It definitely seems to play better to me with more weight down below and in an informal A/B test of 2 tops with this mod done and 4 others that do not have this mod done, the modified tops feel like they spin longer. They do act a touch sluggish though, as they don't want to move as fast as the regular plastic tip ones do.

I think the next step is to get some stickytack and balance them out as well. That will have to wait until the spacers come in and I have to start over.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Metal tips for Bearing Kings?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:51:36 PM »

I think the next step is to get some stickytack and balance them out as well.
Plumber's putty works fine too and if you changed a faucet in the last few years you probably have enough left over for 5000 tops.
Recently I have wrapped the top with masking tape. Then with the top spinning in the hand touch the tape with a Sharpie.  Not obvious but add weight to the side with the mark.  This makes balancing much faster.

Interesting Mod. Keep us informed

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Re: Metal tips for Bearing Kings?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:01:15 AM »

I think the next step is to get some stickytack and balance them out as well.
Plumber's putty works fine too and if you changed a faucet in the last few years you probably have enough left over for 5000 tops.
Recently I have wrapped the top with masking tape. Then with the top spinning in the hand touch the tape with a Sharpie.  Not obvious but add weight to the side with the mark.  This makes balancing much faster.

Interesting Mod. Keep us informed

Your idea to speed up balancing makes perfect sense. I shall try it. I did change a faucet in the past few years, but I used a different product to seal it.

I ordered spacers from a place in SoCal. For some reason, stuff that normally takes a day to get to me is now going to take a few more days. I will update sometime next week, hopefully with pictures. Starting Monday I bear down for serious pre-production for a pair of back to back events next weekend for live sound and lighting services, so the odds are this mod will be shelved until after the 19th.