iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 12163 times)

Rich S

Re: Hello all!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »

I would too!  Big $$ for that bad boy though but if there is a market I would build one. 

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 12:49:29 AM »

Well here is the Brass, Titanium and Stainless Steel versions.  The Titanium is the shiny one and wow is it light.  Not sure how bad that will effect the spin time.
The one made out of titanium should spin much less. I would like to see one with a light material at the core and a heavy material at the rim. Aluminum-brass would work very well. The ideal would be titanium-tungsten  ::)

Shouldn't the Titanium one weigh about 60% more than the Aluminum one?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »

Well here is the Brass, Titanium and Stainless Steel versions.  The Titanium is the shiny one and wow is it light.  Not sure how bad that will effect the spin time.
The one made out of titanium should spin much less. I would like to see one with a light material at the core and a heavy material at the rim. Aluminum-brass would work very well. The ideal would be titanium-tungsten  ::)

Shouldn't the Titanium one weigh about 60% more than the Aluminum one?

You are right. I was talking about "collector's ideal".

Many years ago I worked with components made of pure beryllium which is 68% the weight of aluminum. That would make a lighter core for the top and it has a nice yellowish finish. The problem is that we had to use gloves because a percentage (5% ?) of the population is allergic to this metal (that's what the Be industry said, others said it was more dangerous).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:02:44 AM by ta0 »

Rich S

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »

Once I get caught up on all my work and I have time to play I will make one that breaks 15 minutes consistently!  Ok Ok, I will try to  :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »

Many years ago I worked with components made of pure beryllium which is 68% the weight of aluminum. That would make a lighter core for the top and it has a nice yellowish finish. The problem is that we had to use gloves because a percentage (5% ?) of the population is allergic to this metal (that's what the Be industry said, others said it was more dangerous).

........ta0 im sorry i ask so many questions but u really are an interesting fellow, what in the world were you working as when you were handling beryllium? i dont mean to pry into your lifes story so much its just u catch me offguard quite often with some of the things uve done and places uve been, sorry  :-[

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »

........ta0 im sorry i ask so many questions but u really are an interesting fellow, what in the world were you working as when you were handling beryllium? i dont mean to pry into your lifes story so much its just u catch me offguard quite often with some of the things uve done and places uve been, sorry  :-[

If I told you that the beryllium parts were prototype tiles for the inner wall of an experimental fusion reactor, would that quench your curiosity?   ???
But, it IS true! Just now they are starting to build it in the south of France (ITER) but I don't know if the current design calls for the same type of tiles (solid beryllium brazed to steel back).

Now, if I just drank beer I could get the job from that Dos Equis guy (and I bet he does not play tops) . . .  ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:47:06 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »

If I told you that the beryllium parts were prototype tiles for the inner wall of an experimental fusion reactor, would that quench your curiosity?   ???
But, it IS true! Just now they are starting to build it in the south of France (ITER) but I don't know if the current design calls for the same type of tiles (2 inch thick beryllium brazed to steel back).

Now, if I just drank beer I could get the job from that Dos Equis guy (and I bet he does not play tops) . . .  ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:25:56 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 09:09:41 PM »

Now, if I just drank beer I could get the job from that Dos Equis guy

Dude, I saw that guy in a bar a few weeks ago in Orlando...or was it a picture of that guy? 

Beryllium 'eh.

Erratic Wobbler

Rich S

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »

Here is a little teaser for you!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »

Wow! That is professional promo video. The colors of the top look very nice.

Is the girl your daughter or a model of the video production company?

Rich S

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »

That is my movie star daughter!  Good bonding time for us :)