iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 12162 times)

Rich S

Hello all!
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »

Hello all, my name is Rich and I love tops!  I am just into finger tops for now.  A little about me, I am a machinist of 24 years and part owner in a machine shop.  A little while ago I started making stuff for myself for fun to satisfy my "design" itch.  Anyways, I made some other stuff first but here is my latest.  Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:48:38 AM by Rich S »

Rich S

Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »

Here is a spin from last night:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »

Wow! Very cool design and super futuristic pedestal!  8)
Great work!

Now, the spin time of 13 minutes is incredible!  :o
How heavy is it?
I would have guessed that the legs that hold the steel ball would produced some turbulence and drag decreasing the spin. On the other hand, they are close to the axis and therefore the torque is low. I am also surprised that the top continues bobbling (precessing) the whole time, while in my experience the ones that spin a long time are dead vertical during most of the duration.

Welcome to the forum!

Rich S

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »

Thanks!, weight is 80 grams.  I was worried about the extra drag as well but thought it looked so cool I had to go with it.  The moving is due to that particular mirror as on other surfaces it does not do that.  I have a new surface coming soon and am curious to how long it will spin.  I am pretty sure I can get it to go over 15 minutes with enough tries.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »

Very very nice.  Quite impressive.

How great to have a machinist around these parts!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Rich S

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »

Thanks!  So what do you guys think of the "phono" finish on the faces?  I thought it broke up the face finish nicely but go back and forth on my opinion of it.  Just curious as to your thoughts?  I will be making a titanium and stainless steel version hopefully this weekend!

BTW, here is another Top I made done in a Rainbow PVD coating.  This is one spins for about 4 minutes as it is made out of aluminum.  The thing I like about Rainbow PVD is that they are all different.  Each one is completely unique.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:28:38 PM by Rich S »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »

welcome home sir @-@

wow your work is VERY impressive  :o

yollector

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »

Welcome & Great Job !
          RFC

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »

Welcome to the site.  Great job on the tops.  Selling?  Am totally impressed with the 13 minute spin time.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:38:21 PM »

Hello and welcome Rich! 
Thanks for the close-up photos.
Your workmanship is exquisite!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »

The tip looks like a setting for a diamond! I love it. I like the "phono" texture too.
Welcome to the forum Rich!

Rich S

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »

Welcome to the site.  Great job on the tops.  Selling?  Am totally impressed with the 13 minute spin time.

Is selling these ok with the site?  I am new so I want to be sure to not violate any policies.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »

I am so curious to know more about you.  Where do you live, Rich S?  How did you get into tops?  What is the name of your company?

Rich S

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:35 AM »

Well I am a curious fellow and saw some tops on Youtube that spun for a long time and were very well made.  I thought, I can do that!  Once I spun one I was hooked.  Before that I had no idea they would spin that long.  Then I discovered my kids loved them so I made more.  Then their friends wanted them so I made more.  Then a bunch of my friends wanted them so I made more.  You get the idea. 

I live in Wisconsin and our company is called J Stadler Machine.  I see a growing market for these and I just love designing them.  Like I said in a previous post I am doing a SS and titanium version as well.  I would love to start a side business but am not sure about it yet.  I don't want you to think I am here to sell these as that was not my intention.  When I saw others that have the same kind of passion I do I thought I would join in and see what you all think of the designs.  We have very complex 5 axis machines here so I can make just about anything.  I would love to get into even more exotic materials.  Sky is the limit!  I just enjoy making them!  I will also be making a spin base, just waiting on the lens right now!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »

Is selling these ok with the site?  I am new so I want to be sure to not violate any policies.
We have a board on this forum, "What you want, what you have" where you can offer for sale anything that is spinning top related.

The rainbow finish (coating) is interesting. Does the color change with the angle?

Your tops look like made for a Kickstarter campaign. Was that your intention?