iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Schreiber Shootout at worlds  (Read 4476 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Schreiber Shootout at worlds
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »

As has been mentioned before, Jim Schreiber was a great top spinner and an even greater teacher of top throwing.  I always enjoyed the stories about him and love watching and showing the movie about his life.  In an effort to get the word out to others about him and to encourage young throwers I talked with the old topspinning.com board about a "Schreiber Shootout" for worlds.  The incentive was $100 for the winner, $60 for second and $40 for third. 

I dreamed that there would be a time on the first day to have a throwoff with each under 18 participant allowed three minutes to show their stuff.  One day this might be more like a freestyle but right now we are trying to take the pressure off kids and allow them to do what they can.  There were a number of people interested in throwing on the first day but with everything going on and their interest in learning more tricks, I kept stalling by saying "keep practicing and you can win on of the Schreiber Shootout awards".  This seemed to work and I drug everything out until Saturday night when the big yo-yo finals were going on.  Three young boys had worked hard all week with their tricks and it was obvious they would be the prize winners.  About 9pm on Saturday I presented the first Schreiber Shootout award to Sam Neimeier of Florida.  Second went to Kevin Newell from Massachusetts.  Third was Sean Micca of Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Jim Schreiber would have been proud of these young men.  They came to worlds throwing nothing but yo-yos but spent much of their time there throwing tops.  They really improved a lot and I was especially happy to see Sam do so well since I have him a bearing trompo grande last year with the hopes that we could pull him into the top spinning world.  Some may remember Sam as the national champion for his age group in pizza dough spinning! 

I'm sure Jorge remembers these boys and others who threw tops.  Maybe he would like to share some of the top progress he saw?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Schreiber Shootout at worlds
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »

Those guys were really intense! They were all the time asking for advice and had no fear trying tricks. For example, a couple were doing upside-down MGRs a few hours after they found the trick existed.

Unfortunately I was not around for the Schreiber awards, but here is a picture during the ladder awards (I don't want to confuse the names, so could you name them, Mike?)

It was so generous of Mike to donate his money (and time) to promote a new generation of players! We should all thank him.

RunBMC

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »

thats sounds fun! maybe i should come and hopefully get some quality tops.
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »

Wow, where did you get that picture Ta0?  That's great!  Sam (Mr. Pizza dough spinner) is the one on the far left.  Sean is the second from the left.  Kevin is in the shadows third from the left.  Kevin was also very good with the off-string yo-yo.  I don't know who the fourth person is.

Many thanks to the families of Joe Doty and Marilyn Gilbert for the money given in the Schreiber Shootout.  Interestingly enough, I think all of the award winners talked about buying tops with their money.  I kind of thought some might run out and blow their money on candy, food or some other stuff.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:20 PM »

The other two guys competing in ladder where Miguel Figueroa and Dillon Schink. I remember the other guy and I remember that I asked Miguel if he was related to Bryan Figueroa and he said no. But I cannot remember who of the two I asked the question!  Another reason I could not be a preacher like you Mike: I am terrible with names!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »

I totally missed the ladder this year.  My sister and neice showed up at the last minute for the freestyle competition and I spent a lot of time with them.  I haven't seen them in years and it was great to chat with them but......I did miss a lot of the top spinning action!

I'm not positive but I think that is Miguel in the photo (4th from the left).

I still can't believe there will be a ladder competition at South East Regionals (SER).  If I were retired I would fly down and try to run another Schreiber Shootout in connection with that.  I would love to regularly have Schreiber shootouts at worlds and at whatever regionals I could get to.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »

What do you think it would take for these guys to be able to freestyle this year?  What kind of proficiency would they have to show?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »

It's Tuesday morning, my day off, and I'm sitting here dreaming of these three guys freestyling at worlds this year.  Wonder if that is a possibility?

knewsthe1

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:05:14 PM »

hey i have been spin topping alot and i have learnt many tricks including rollercoaster drum beat gyro  lasso behind the back and many others
i have also made a couple tricks of my own

i will be getting two trompos for chistmas and ill probably buy a couple more before worlds and you will definatly see me in a bearing freestyle next year  ;D
PARA-MOUNT
Revolutionizing spintop forever

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Hey Kevin!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »

That's wonderful! Way to go!

The new generation will take over!  :o

I am glad you are reading the board. If you have questions, just ask.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 12:23:24 AM »

Yippee!  Go Kevin!!!  I can't wait to tell pizza spinnin' Sam about your intentions (last I talked to him he said he doesn't type or do forums yet).  He will want to take the freestyle challenge with you, I'm sure.  I also need to check in with Sean.