iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Limestone City Juggling Festival  (Read 4802 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Limestone City Juggling Festival
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »

I'm headed to a juggling festival this weekend, in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.  The Limestone City Juggling Festival, it's called.  Anyone else planning to attend?

I read on the festival website that there will be a prop vendor in attendance.  A bit of Google-fu has told me that the vendor sells.....  Spintastics spin tops!  I don't know what they'll actually bring, but what models should I look for as a relative beginner?  I don't really need any new juggling props, but I DO have room in my bag for a top or two.... ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Limestone City Juggling Festival
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »

didnt know there was so much interest in tops at juggling events   :o well my opinion would be to look for a quiksilver hybrid with or without the "C" tip. i would really suggest getting a HP hornet fixed tip if they have it, hands down my absolute unequaled favorite top, it moves a bit fast but the stability is amazing, and the tip design which can only be had on the hornet(?) is phenomenal, also id go for the black because ive found its one of the most visible tops ive thrown but then again ive not thrown the gold one. well thats my 2 cents worth, have fun out there  ;)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »

didnt know there was so much interest in tops at juggling events   :o well my opinion would be to look for a quiksilver hybrid with or without the "C" tip. i would really suggest getting a HP hornet fixed tip if they have it, hands down my absolute unequaled favorite top, it moves a bit fast but the stability is amazing, and the tip design which can only be had on the hornet(?) is phenomenal, also id go for the black because ive found its one of the most visible tops ive thrown but then again ive not thrown the gold one. well thats my 2 cents worth, have fun out there  ;)

Thanks!  I'll keep those in mind....

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »

If the vendors are a reseller of Spintastics, they might not carry their higher end tops like the quicksilver hybrid or the hornet.  Look for trompo grandes.  They are adult size and are a great top for the price.  A bearing tip is good for learning tricks (they spin longer), but I think most players rely on a fixed tip for the control they offer (you can regenerate). Actually buy what you afford and don't be afraid to buy more than one.  Who knows, you might be our next great modder!

Oh and Jack, there is almost always some spinners at juggling festivals.  I usually spend half my time spinning when I go.  Met up with Mike H., JNeff, Mark H. and some more spinners this last summer at a fest.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:34:48 AM by lincolnrick »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »

It is hard to make a wrong purchase of a Spintastics top.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »

I had a great time at the festival in Kingston!  It is a small festival, but I expect it will grow as the word gets around.  This year there was only the one vendor.

My friend and I were there bright and early on Saturday, before the vendor had his tables ready.  The merchandise was in boxes, waiting to be laid out.  I was anxious to shop for spin tops, but had to wait until he was set up.  I could see just about every conceivable juggling prop amongst his stuff, and I spotted some yo-yos in one box....promising!

Once he was set up I cruised the tables....and found no spin tops.   :(  I asked, and he said that he does sell Spintastics tops, but opted not to bring any to the festival.  I think he just had so much stuff to haul that he had to pick what he thought he had the best chance of selling. 

I must admit to being disappointed.  I did have fun, though.  And not one, but TWO of the acts in the Saturday night stage show incorporated some top spinning in their acts!  I did some spinning in the gym, and got a few pointers from a guy who obviously knows more about it than I do.

Altogether, it was a great weekend....

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »

I had a great time at the festival in Kingston!  It is a small festival, but I expect it will grow as the word gets around.  This year there was only the one vendor.

My friend and I were there bright and early on Saturday, before the vendor had his tables ready.  The merchandise was in boxes, waiting to be laid out.  I was anxious to shop for spin tops, but had to wait until he was set up.  I could see just about every conceivable juggling prop amongst his stuff, and I spotted some yo-yos in one box....promising!

Once he was set up I cruised the tables....and found no spin tops.   :(  I asked, and he said that he does sell Spintastics tops, but opted not to bring any to the festival.  I think he just had so much stuff to haul that he had to pick what he thought he had the best chance of selling. 

I must admit to being disappointed.  I did have fun, though.  And not one, but TWO of the acts in the Saturday night stage show incorporated some top spinning in their acts!  I did some spinning in the gym, and got a few pointers from a guy who obviously knows more about it than I do.

sorry to here that mailman, truth be told he probably would have charged waaaaay to much anyway  :-\ . any chance you remember that fellows name who gave you the pointers?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

sorry to here that mailman, truth be told he probably would have charged waaaaay to much anyway  :-\ . any chance you remember that fellows name who gave you the pointers?

Yes, I do remember.  He is a guy I've known for many years, who is very active in the local juggling community.  His name is Jeff Peden.  He used to be very active in our juggling club, but in recent years he is busy teaching juggling at RIT, and running the RIT Spring Juggle-In.  We don't see him at our club too much any more, and I didn't even know he was a top spinner.

For anyone interested, his son, Wes Peden, is now a world-renowned juggler.  Wes started attending our club at the age of about five, and we had the pleasure of watching him grow into a phenomenal juggler.  Check him out on You Tube, and prepare to be amazed....

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »

Yes, I do remember.  He is a guy I've known for many years, who is very active in the local juggling community.  His name is Jeff Peden.  He used to be very active in our juggling club, but in recent years he is busy teaching juggling at RIT, and running the RIT Spring Juggle-In.  We don't see him at our club too much any more, and I didn't even know he was a top spinner.

For anyone interested, his son, Wes Peden, is now a world-renowned juggler.  Wes started attending our club at the age of about five, and we had the pleasure of watching him grow into a phenomenal juggler.  Check him out on You Tube, and prepare to be amazed....

I've seen Wes perform on more than one occasion and each time, yes, I was amazed.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »

Wes Peden has tremendous talent.  His performances at the RIT Juggling Festival this year were fantastic! (To put it mildly.)  :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 07:32:33 PM »

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »

I had no idea either Wes or his dad were into spin tops.  Wes lives in Sweden, now, so we don't see him much....

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 10:01:54 PM »

I had no idea either Wes or his dad were into spin tops.  Wes lives in Sweden, now, so we don't see him much....

Wes was in St. Louis for a festival and we talked tops one night after he saw me spinning.  I bought his DVD 'synthetic' (very good by the way) and he signed it for me.