iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Educational size rotational molding machine  (Read 63949 times)

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
Educational size rotational molding machine
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »

This is the machine I used to create the large plastic tops like the one Mark Hayward uses.  It has been sitting around for quite a while, and I have not yet fired it up to make sure it is working, but I assume it will function fine.  It takes about 45 minutes to warm up, and cool down, as I recall. You can Google EMCO and rotational molding for more info.  I am including the mold I had made for making the large tops.  Other molds are available on-line, and this makes a great kid project.  The tops created take some effort to balance properly.  The machine is quite heavy, but I can skid it up on a small skid, and ship at your expense.  Make me an offer.  I just realized that I didn't measure it well... I'm guessing about 20x20x30 and probably about 75 pounds?  I'll put it on our local Craig's List in a couple of weeks in no nibbles here!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Educational size rotational molding machine
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »

Neff would love to balance any tops that come out of that!

Keep that thing away from johnm.  The world may not yet be ready for any fantastic creations he would make with it.

Takeshi would enjoy moding those things to death.

Spinningray and Eric would love to talk way into the night on possible things they could do making top creations.

Hope you get a buyer silvertop.  And the whirled would be a better place if it was a top spinner.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »

Would there be enough interest by members to send it to JohnM in Cincy? I think he could make more use of it than anyone else.
Perhaps we can make a group buy: John gets the machine, Don the money and each member who contributes gets one of these unique large tops? Plus the machine stays in the top community, where it belongs.

I don't know how much money you are looking to get, Don. Freight between Rochester and Cincinnati is probably around $250 (I am guessing).
For example, twenty members putting $50 each would be $1000.  Thirty members at $50 or twenty at $75 each would make it $1500.

This could be a win-win situation for everybody, assuming John wants to have the machine and do the work (and has space in the labs for it). We could even structure it as a donation to the physics lab (it is educational, after all).

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »

Would there be enough interest by members to send it to JohnM in Cincy? I think he could make more use of it than anyone else.
Perhaps we can make a group buy: John gets the machine, Don the money and each member who contributes gets one of these unique large tops? Plus the machine stays in the top community, where it belongs.

I don't know how much money you are looking to get, Don. Freight between Rochester and Cincinnati is probably around $250 (I am guessing).
For example, twenty members putting $50 each would be $1000.  Thirty members at $50 or twenty at $75 each would make it $1500.

This could be a win-win situation for everybody, assuming John wants to have the machine and do the work (and has space in the labs for it). We could even structure it as a donation to the physics lab (it is educational, after all).

GREAT IDEA Jorge!!!!!   Sign me up!  :D

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »

i'm in on the project

perhaps Don could donate the machine to the UC Physics Lab
that way we would only have to cover the shipping expenses
 :D :D
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:40:44 PM »

I am in!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe Don could donate it to a charity (UC Lab?) for a tax deduction and we pay shipping. Maybe we all buy a top from it and some of the money goes to Don, JohnM uses some for supplies. Several things come to mind Ta0 think it through so that it is a Win,Win,Win.
Practice hard and play safe.

yollector

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »

keep us posted.
       RFC

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »

Good Idea.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:59:34 PM by Shootist »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »

I think it is potentially too much money to expect Don to donate it (renting that big space to store the Toycrafter collection must be expensive). And I don't think he would be able to discount it from his taxes as it must be fully amortized. On the other hand, I am currently researching what is needed to establish a non-profit organization to promote tops and organize the contests (more about this in a few days) so the machine could become part of its assets (and everybody could discount his contribution).

Before we go any further with this, we need to know how much Don believes the machine is worth and if this arrangement would work for John.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »

johnm is currently kind of silent about the idea!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »

johnm is currently kind of silent about the idea!

johnm is watching........waiting:

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:26 PM »

Long busy day since classes are on and some of the seniors in lab are also math majors with a class conflict so our lab make the compromise and runs late for them (but the others start on time-- double hit)

So I’m not saying no, but there are lots of things to sort out, most of which I have not thought of but here are a couple concerns from my side.

Used equipment is often abused equipment.  I’m sure Don treated it well and it functioned properly at the time, but it is old, he got it used and these things often come from schools where non-experts learned how to do things and how not to do things by trial and errors.  In general this means abuse which shortens the useful lifetime of things.   Shipping can often be rough on equipment as well (how brittle are the heating elements?)   I’m not concerned with residual value of the machine for my contribution, but rather the situation if 20 people have invested and the unit experiences a significant failure after just 5 runs of one top at a time.  What is my responsibility to the remaining 15?

I’m not afraid of the work or the time commitment (this was likely a sub-zero return for Don’s time/money investment).  There will be a learning curve for me to get something to work.  I don’t know what plastics are appropriate, reasonable parameters at which the machine should be run, etc.  There will likely be a delay before the first delivery and a significant delay for those at the end of the list since only one is made at a time and at about 2 hours (???) per run production is slow.  I suspect the tip is not made in that machine so a different technique must be used to produce that (perhaps turning from delrin or steel?)  People have been honest in the past about the playability of this top (it is very light for its size and as pointed out requires balancing) so the possibility of disappointment at certain investment levels should be avoided by an upfront statement of what to expect and when to expect it.

There are likely other things to address before hand to CMA but it is late and I’m still tired from festing all weekend ;D, so that’s all for now.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »

This is all very interesting

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:38 PM »

Wednesday is babysitting day, so haven't gotten around to the forum till now - 11:30 pm - tired.

I like the way this is going, and will come up with numbers, etc. and reply soon!

Thanks for all the interest - we will come up with a plan.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »

OK - after some thought, pretty much all of the comments are right on the mark.  I will be glad to start it up and see if it heats up, and rotates. Damage in shipping is always a possibility.  I don't remember what plastic I used.  I bought some plastic jars of powdered plastic - I think polyethylene, and some small jars of colorant, but I have no idea where the powdered plastic ended up.  The tips would need to be machined by someone.  I'll be glad to throw in one of the big tops I have with the tip included.  The mold does leave a hole in the bottom to screw in a tip.  The hole is left by the hollow tube that vents the gas that would build up inside.  For whomever hosts the machine, other molds could be created to make all sorts of things.  The top mold is spun copper?

If some sort of group project is undertaken, I would be glad to accept $200. And I will skid it up on a small skid, and ship if the group pays the shipping.  I welcome any additional questions, comments, etc, but really need to move this machine on to someone else.  The same would go for any individual who might want to purchase it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up