iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whip fun ahead  (Read 3381 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Whip fun ahead
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

Yesterday these whip tops arrive home, courtesy of Jim Neff and Larry:

Here with one of my old whip tops for size comparison:

Wow!  8) 8) 8)

The little whip top is hefty for its size and great quality.  I am hoping that being small it will be easier to rev up the speed.
The lighted top should be pretty spectacular.
I'll try them this weekend and hopefully film some video. With all that whipping material I have no excuses to not play long!

Thanks sooo much! I know shipping of these from China was a big hassle..
Larry and Jim may have some more stuff to share.

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Whip fun ahead
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:47:36 PM »

ooooo ur a lucky cookie  ;) what material are the whips made of?????????

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »

ooooo ur a lucky cookie  ;) what material are the whips made of?????????
It is some kind of rubber. The first material we got from China was black and looked like some shredded used bike inner tube. It smelled like such. These beige rubber smells less. I've got different gauges to try.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »

what material are the whips made of?????????

Here's a photo off one of the Merchant sites showing a close up of the whip material if it helps.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:33 AM »

While visiting Mike (the Earl of Whirl) we whipped a big top. I was amazed at how quickly the whip would wear out.  We kept trimming the end to keep the frayed ends from tangling. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »

Today I tried the whip tops: they are great!!!

They are easy to start. The smaller one sometimes I got to buzz with just one whip hit, although other times it required many. The sound I got is not very loud but it is satisfactory. But from the much larger lighted top I only got a low hum.

On the smooth floor of the garage I could leave the smaller one spinning for over 2 minutes between whippings and the lighted one for a full 3 minutes. Between 2 and 4 whippings were generally enough to rev them up again.

The lighted top gives a superb show. It has 15 ultra-bright LEDs plus a red laser pointing down (so it traces a circle). One column of LEDs turn on an off too fast to be perceived by the eye but when the top is spinning they produces a series of light points around the top. The other column of LEDs varies with time at a much lower rate, giving variable circles of light around the top. 

The whip material is a rubber with string reinforcement running lengthwise. I got single core and triple core material. The first one works well for all my whip tops. The other one was too heavy even for my old very large whip top. I divided one 3-core whip into a 2-core whip and a 1-core whip. That new 2-core material still overwhelmed all the tops except my largest one.  I still need to do more experiments to see if it works better for that top than the single core material.

By the way, I discovered that using whipping material longer than the stick is not a good idea: on a miss you can end up in self flagellation!   :'(

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »

I believe this is the first top I got that came with its own charger:

What's next? Spintops with iPod docks?  :P

The LED lights are bright even will lots of ambient light, but not so the laser circle. Actually, the light from the LED's washes out a little the laser light even in darkness. I may end up covering the one LED that is on the underside.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »

Cool!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »

Nice Top!!!  Video Please, would love to see it in action.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:02:01 PM by Shootist »