iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The trick "El increíble de Gerardo" is born.  (Read 9210 times)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
The trick "El increíble de Gerardo" is born.
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:37:22 AM »

Ta0 and me discuss at Madrid about "the imposible" trick that will be to start a stopped top placed onto the floor.

Gerardo Rivero do it!

Thanks and congratulations Master. (Dart's Vaders voice)

[youtube] QzKg_AepDG0[/youtube]

Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: The trick "El increíble de Gerardo" is born.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

Wow! Starting the top with the foot! Epic!

I have been meaning to write to Gerardo, I hadn't heard from him in a while.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

Impressive!  I'd probably just crush the top and hurt my foot.

Lapin

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »

Sweet! The guy is top level !
I got to learn regen !

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »

yeah that's a great trick,
but no regen = no spin !!

for advanced players only ;D

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
The tricks of the trick
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »

We, Rodolfo and me tryed this trick few hous ago. And we start to learn the trick of the trick.

A flat floor is very usefull. The rude concrete soil of the outher area at our factory  is bad to practice this trick.

An untapped trompo is better (trompo grande) than the taped one (Duncan's Ripcord). The tape brake the trompo in its firs spin moments.

The shut (pisotón) must be hard and fearless.

It is more easy the place the string before close to the tip, than after when the feet lock the tip. We first placed the trompo pointing to our body, place the string at the tip, feet the tip and shut the feet. The two pieces of the string must be placed at left side. The right hand more near the floor than the left one. This is to start regens at faster as you can.

We obtain sometimes good sets, with the top hanging the string during 3-4 precesion turns.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
I just did it!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:12:37 PM »

I was not planning to attempt it yet, but after reading of Pulp's success I gave it a try and it was not long before I got into a regeneration run! :o

The foot stumping is more effective than I would have thought in getting the top to spin. I did it on carpet, standing up, holding the top with the left foot and stumping with the right, as Gerardo does. The top I used has a QS body, Trompo Grande cap and custom fixed tip.

Note that Gerardo does not place the string in a way to start regeneration directly. He first needs to throw it once in the air. I placed my string around the tip so I could start regenerating from the beginning, but that takes more preparation.

In an email Gerardo told me that he developed the trick because he sometimes performs in formal settings wearing a suit and it is not elegant to bend over to pick up the top if he happens to miss. He also said he has developed several variations of the trick.

========
Update:

I have done it several more times  ;D
I don't stump on the top anymore: I just squeeze the top and make it roll.

This is wonderful! I have to pinch myself that I am not dreaming and this trick is really possible!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:48:00 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:27:50 AM »

bravo jorge !

when i saw this trick last week i immediately thought that it could be a good "recovery trick" in case of miss

funny to read that gerardo already does that !!

jim

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »

Rodolfo had success this evening. He used his "king-me" trompo grande. Rip-cord isn't good tool by the grip of the electrical tape, or the high risk to broke the crown if you use it untapped.
I'll wait for new trompo grande to scrach it.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 03:26:45 AM »

I saw this video and finally I knew how it was according with Pulpowsky`s description. It seems to be an old trick. I talked about this trick with Marco Palma (a player with much more time in this matter of tops than me and Gerardo) and said it was very old one.
In fact, some years ago I heard about this trick, but the narration I heard descrived this trick in a different form, seemed, but different.
After I saw the Gerardo`s video, I started to try it, and I had success two times like in 20 attemptives. But I did different than Gustavo style.
Currently, I `ve got enough time to practice it, but surely I need to get that trick and do it perfectly, but this will be in some future months.
Congratulations to Gerardo and thank`s by share this video.

So, my next video it will be one where I regenerate the top using one hand and one foot, while I eat a fruit with the free hand.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »

Well, did Marco Palma show it to you? This is the kind of trick that after a player learns how to do it he would continue doing it and showing off because it is so damn cool.

I know of an advanced US player (to remain unnamed) who has the tendency to always say the same thing: "that is an old trick . . ."

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 01:19:58 AM »

No.He didn`t. In fact I was very tempted in that moment to challenge him to do it, but I prefered not do it.
I must recognize that Gerardo is the first one which I see do that trick.
I share your opinion that some players say that kind of argument, mainly when the new stuff is so overwhelming.
I remember some words from Poe that says sth like that..."the most of persons call lie, stupid thing. unknown and not understood to all that kind of things that scape from his reduced brain".
Here, in the TOPic of
 top, that happens too.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »

I've seen my Moroccan coworker "kick start" a top on more than one occasion, but he didn't step down on the top, rather he balanced it on his left foot and kicked the side of the top forcing it to spin and turn upright.  Considering how long the top has been in existence, I'm convinced that most of the tricks we have seen, at least with fixed tips, have been tried in some form or another at some place and time in history. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »

So you have a secret Moroccan trainer?   :o

I imagine he spins the top on the ground. That sounds really interesting and done in a different way than Gerardo. Could you get him on a video?

I don't believe that the modern players wouldn't be doing it often if they knew how to do it. I know you will see me do it every time we meet, from now on  ;)

Although I agree that many tricks have been done at one point in the past, I also think some are new, even for fixed tip. For example, I would be very surprised if Salvador's Huitzime regenerations had ever been done before. It also depends on the definition of "in some form or another."  The principal base of creativity is recombining old things in new ways, in spite of what copyright lawyers want people to believe.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:41:12 PM by ta0 »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »

Boy am I going to learn a lot at Worlds.
Practice hard and play safe.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up