iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First top mods  (Read 4974 times)

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
First top mods
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »

I've been modifying yoyos for a number of years and finally got around to doing my first RC mod. Nothing at all innovative or anything - just a straight up rip off of some modified BKs I purchased from Neff - soldering wire, cut off the crown, a little bit of blue tak. But it was fun to transform a top I won on eBay for $1 into a great playing top.  :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:45:42 PM by jrodriguez »
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

yollector

Re: First Ripcord mod
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »

Looks Good !
    Great Job !
  RFC

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: First Top mods
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »

Thanks! Tinkered with this Trompo Grande today as well. It's nice being able to get inside the top without having to take it apart.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:37:00 PM by jrodriguez »

yollector

Re: First top mods
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »

very cool.
you have been busy !
I also saw the mod on the CYYC top TIP !
   You Da Man
RFC  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »

Lots of great modding!
I don't recall anybody putting the Trompo Grande on a diet before.

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »

I'll bring that Trompo Grande to RIT so you can check it out.

I did these Ripcords last night and added a soldering ring inside each to give them a bit more heft:

Anyone have any suggestions for smoothing these out? I've never had any trouble using blue tac to balance a Bearing King, but for some reason these have been a struggle. I can find a smooth spot, but they pulse vibrate at high speeds. Is that a function of the fixed tip?

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »

Nice work.  On your Flickr page, a couple of your pictures show bits of your lathe but not enough for me to speculate about the model you have.  Care to tell us the tools you use for your modding efforts?

Lots of great modding!
I don't recall anybody putting the Trompo Grande on a diet before.

Neff showed us his weight loss program results for the prizes he prepared for MOYO2013 which included a diet Trompo Grande and Bearing with bAd armor installed.  Link = MOYO prizes

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »

The lathe in those pictures was a Central Machinery Company lathe that I got from a yoyo modder who went by the handle “feralparrot.” He was well known back in the day for doing a nifty modification to the Anti-Yo Bapezilla yoyo. That lathe died back in 2011 and I just got around to replacing it in December with this Taig.

Here’s a pic of two of my custom bits for cutting yoyos.

And here’s some pre-made carbide bits and, on the right, a long cutting tool I just ground for the Spintastics caps.

The spintastics caps are very thin along the rim and they deform easily against the lathe jaws. So I decided to chuck it up by the top of the cap, which is solid, and cut it from the inside, which required a basic, long, sharp tool. They need to be sharp because cutting plastic at high speeds can very easily result in melting if the tool isn’t very sharp, which I mention for anyone who might read this who hasn’t cut plastic before. Wish I’d thought of using an exacto!  ::)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:28:25 PM by jrodriguez »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions for smoothing these out? I've never had any trouble using blue tac to balance a Bearing King, but for some reason these have been a struggle. I can find a smooth spot, but they pulse vibrate at high speeds. Is that a function of the fixed tip?
It is so frustrating when you can not seem to get a top smooth.  Neff taught me to get it as good as you can. Then try a bit of weight near the tip on the opposite side of the weight that is near the crown.

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 12:28:29 AM »

Thanks! I'll give that a whirl.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: First Top mods
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »

It's nice being able to get inside the top without having to take it apart.
A-men!  Nice work.  You are addicted!

It is so frustrating when you can not seem to get a top smooth.  Neff taught me to get it as good as you can. Then try a bit of weight near the tip on the opposite side of the weight that is near the crown.
A-men!

Neff showed us his weight loss program results for the prizes he prepared for MOYO2013 which included a diet Trompo Grande and Bearing with bAd armor installed.  Link = MOYO prizes

Just about every plastic top that passes through my hands gets "the treatment".  I cannot help myself.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »

Woooh!  Nice picture. 

I like that!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »

Wow! That's many!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 05:25:30 AM »

With a young grandson growing up just a few miles from me, I cannot help but think of different ways I can try to entertain him with tops.  Slowly, I feel myself drawn to the lathe.  I don't need to make anything fancy.  Even basic little finger spinners would be fun for both of us.

I am fascinated with your tools, jrodriguez.  You made some of those?  I recently talked to a guy who says he loves to make his cutting tools out of old files as they are cheaper and even made out of better metal.

Thanks for your posts about your top mods.

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »

The red ones I purchased already ground. The silver ones I ground on a bench grinder out of blanks - I'm not very good at it, but I've managed to create some tools that get the job done.  :)