iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Simple I know, but how do you pick up a spinning top.  (Read 7297 times)

Ehud

Simple I know, but how do you pick up a spinning top.
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:15:21 AM »

Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be collecting my Love top from my US mailbox and heading to Seattle.  My wife is staying home meaning I will have time in my hotel room to make an ass of myself.  How does one throw a top to have it end up in your hand?  I am sure this is an elementary question so thanks for your patience.

Ehud

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Simple I know, but how do you pick up a spinning top.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:16:03 AM »

this should answer most of the questions ull have  ;)

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »

Good question.  Good instruction v.  Just had to note that when I determined to do the hand catch--It took 4 hours of nonstop winding and throwing for the first catch.   This was without instructions.  I'm a slow learner evidently.  Just saying this to encourage you not to give up after a few throws. 8)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

The S8 Love can be a little tricky to throw due to its size.
Just be patient with yourself and keep trying.
You'll get it. ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

this should answer most of the questions ull have  ;)

Disregard the part about the string length, which is wrong.  This is no yo-yo and the string length depends on the spintop (and the string thickness and how you throw the top) but not on your height.

The short instruction is that you throw it the same way you throw to the ground but pull upwards and backwards at the very last moment before it runs out of string. Try to dampen the landing by moving the hand down.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:04:21 AM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »

Do what I do when I'm in hotel rooms.  First, find the ice bucket and/or coffee maker.  There's should be a tray underneath it.  Put that tray on the floor and get some target practice in doing spinners.  A Big Scoop will get the top to your hand where you can practice the art of keeping a top balanced in the hand.  Learning a boomerang in a hotel room should be done at your own risk.  ;) 

Oh and you can keep the tray, the hotel doesn't mind.  >:D  (I've actually tried to purchase trays at the front desk, they just look at you funny  ::)  )

Ehud

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

Oh good, I made it through university and a frat without meeting the police - stealing a tray would be a great introduction.

Everyone, thanks for the advice.  I am taking my laptop with me and will watch the video later.  I guess the plan is to learn to throw it first.  After that, move to catching in the palm.

Thanks again all.

Ehud

Do what I do when I'm in hotel rooms.  First, find the ice bucket and/or coffee maker.  There's should be a tray underneath it.  Put that tray on the floor and get some target practice in doing spinners.  A Big Scoop will get the top to your hand where you can practice the art of keeping a top balanced in the hand.  Learning a boomerang in a hotel room should be done at your own risk.  ;) 

Oh and you can keep the tray, the hotel doesn't mind.  >:D  (I've actually tried to purchase trays at the front desk, they just look at you funny  ::)  )

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »

You could not have picked a more difficult top to start with.  If you want to spin it with a "normal" throw you will need to save the stock string for a different top, use the thinnest string you can find, like yo-yo string.  Even then you cannot throw it the normal tip up way, the tip needs to be sideways and you have to do an overhand throw.  OR you could try a tip down sidways throw like a Japanese Koma.  I do not have time to find video examples right now perhaps others could help.

You are not the only beginner to pick the Love as your first top, and even though it presents problems it is a better top than most.  The problem is, when you go to your next top, you will have to learn everything over again. 

Ehud

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »

Hi Neff,

I tried a few throws today and managed to get it spinning but not standing.  I am on a carpeted surface so maybe that is part of the problem.

My top choice was dictated by budget as much as anything.  Oh well, live and learn - then relearn.

Ehud

You could not have picked a more difficult top to start with.  If you want to spin it with a "normal" throw you will need to save the stock string for a different top, use the thinnest string you can find, like yo-yo string.  Even then you cannot throw it the normal tip up way, the tip needs to be sideways and you have to do an overhand throw.  OR you could try a tip down sidways throw like a Japanese Koma.  I do not have time to find video examples right now perhaps others could help.

You are not the only beginner to pick the Love as your first top, and even though it presents problems it is a better top than most.  The problem is, when you go to your next top, you will have to learn everything over again.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »

OR you could try a tip down sidways throw like a Japanese Koma.  I do not have time to find video examples right now perhaps others could help.

koma throw at 1:06

Ehud

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »

HI Jack, Neff, and all.

I had found this video and tried to get the top to work but no luck.  I did get it spinning once, on its head, but that was it.  When I get home tomorrow night I will try again.

I guess this might mean I need to get a standard top to learn technique first before using the Love.

I am on spring break right now and kind of wish I had access to the nice hard floors of the school.

Anyway, thank-you everyone.  I'll let you know once I have succeeded at least once.

Ehud

OR you could try a tip down sidways throw like a Japanese Koma.  I do not have time to find video examples right now perhaps others could help.

koma throw at 1:06

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:34:30 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »

hello ehud

i have played with my love a bit this morning to try and find what i could write to help you
the result is that , as Chris Neff said
 You could not have picked a more difficult top to start with.

it 's a very awkward overhand throw with the tip pointing at you
the throw itself must be not too brutal but the pull back needs energy

i suggest 2 things
1  :   play it fix tip with the screw cap
2  :   throw to the floor without trying to boomerang

at this point even if the landing is not vertical the top will stand up by itself after a while
you can then try to "scoop" it or to "skyrocket " it

that would be a good start ;)

jim

ps  :  use a flat floor not a carpet
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Ehud

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »

Thanks Jim.  I have thrown about 3 dozen times and had it stand only twice and both times on the head.  I think the carpet is absorbing too much of the spin and will have try again back home with a hard surface.  Either way, no luck as of yet.

Ehud

hello ehud

i have played with my love a bit this morning to try and find what i could write to help you
the result is that , as Chris Neff said
 You could not have picked a more difficult top to start with.

it 's a very awkward overhand throw with the tip pointing at you
the throw itself must be not too brutal but the pull back needs energy

i suggest 2 things
1  :   play it fix tip with the screw cap
2  :   throw to the floor without trying to boomerang

at this point even if the landing is not vertical the top will stand up by itself after a while
you can then try to "scoop" it or to "skyrocket " it

that would be a good start ;)

jim

ps  :  use a flat floor not a carpet

jochs12

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »

Each top is a little different and each person throws a little different also.  I found that if you can at least get the top to "roll" down the string consistently, watch to see what position the top is in when it gets to the end of the string.  All tops roll to the left for right hand throwers, (opposite for left) as it goes down the string.  Adjust your beginning position of the top to where the "roll" of the top is vertical when it gets to the end of the string.
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »

this video shows the love and a method of throwing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvheHHwkGT4&list=UUMsHKBk3CcLwrJoM8XqvTfg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:47:42 PM by Jack »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up