iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Delrin Tops  (Read 2952 times)

Mike Durdak

Delrin Tops
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »

After some debating I've decided to invest in a delrin top. What I'm wondering is, which one should I get? If they were in stock, I would grab a giulia in a heartbeat. Since the STB 2 is in stock, I am considering buying that, but I've heard that the 2 halves separate easily. Lastly, the Chico top 2.0 looks great, but I am skeptical of the availability of one way bearings and other spare parts and I haven't heard many things about them. So should I await the return of the Giulia or purchase one of the latter two?

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
Re: Delrin Tops
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »

I've been throwing Giulia for few years and it's still the best top I can think of, but I haven't tried Chico top 2.0. Try another shop, or ask Maurizio when Giulia will be stocked, I think that your skill won't be limited by the top at all. :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »

The three are great tops.
You cannot go wrong with the Giulia and it seems there will be a new batch very soon.
With the STB2.0 you will have to put tape on the wider part to protect them. If it wasn't because of the breakage problem (without tape) it would be the favorite top of many.
The CYYC is not out-spin by any other top and if you play it as a bearing top you will have no complains.  As a fixed-tip top the shape of the tip is not ideal in my opinion.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »

u sir.....u sir....are about to go........ hardcore 8) thumbs up to you. my appoligies in slightly highjacking ur thread but i have a question: can anyone explain what is superior about delrin as a material? i have no doubt it is in fact superior from what is said by experts in the matter but ive never had the privilege to see a delrin top in person  :-X

Henry_the_defiant

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

I have a STB 2.0 and i love it. Its an all around good top that plays amazingly bearing and fixed tip. When it comes in the mail it plays about 85% as well as it can. you'll want to tape the rim and balance it but after that it plays 100% amazing.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:06:06 PM »

The STB 2.0 can break, but it is not all that fragile.  I only know of two breaks, and I was in proximity to one of them which happened after repeated sideways drops on a concrete floor.  I have several 2.0 and had no problems, I don't play over concrete much though.  I like the way the 2.0 plays very much.

I do not know when the new run of Giulia will come out, but it may be worth the wait if you want the incredible durability and added size.

I have not played with any of the Chico tops, so I cannot attest to the quality.  The new top looks good but I do question the oversized tip.  I bet it is a fun bearing top.

Jack, Delrin is a plastic that is easy to machine, much like aluminium metal.  It comes in various sized stock and is thus machined instead of injection molded, eliminating density and curing issues often found with less expensive plastic tops.  It is also really, really tough, but the finish can be made to feel like frosted glass.  When you receive your first delrin yo-yo or spin top, you feel as though you have just acquired something incredibly precious and you make a black felt bed for it to sleep on, and bring fresh flowers to it daily.  Soon though you realize it is incredibly resilient, and you are thus liberated to throw tops without fear of damage... to the top.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »

Jack, Delrin is a plastic that is easy to machine, much like aluminium metal.  It comes in various sized stock and is thus machined instead of injection molded, eliminating density and curing issues often found with less expensive plastic tops.  It is also really, really tough, but the finish can be made to feel like frosted glass.  When you receive your first delrin yo-yo or spin top, you feel as though you have just acquired something incredibly precious and you make a black felt bed for it to sleep on, and bring fresh flowers to it daily.  Soon though you realize it is incredibly resilient, and you are thus liberated to throw tops without fear of damage... to the top.

it sounds delicious, thank you